• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like Aimee Cho’s and Lisa Longball’s Youtube channels.
I'll check those out.

I was getting video tips from Golf Pass but that expired. I've only recently subscirbed to them on YT

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty sure I do not want his swing, just the results of it.
I played at a course of his when it was private. We had lunch there was a deconstructed Lobster Roll. It was a whole lobster tail on a grilled bun drizzled with butter. Sooooo good.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I played at a course of his when it was private. We had lunch there was a deconstructed Lobster Roll. It was a whole lobster tail on a grilled bun drizzled with butter. Sooooo good.
Can count on Phil referencing food in just about any activity.

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
I know there are a few golfers here, I have played with some and look forward to playing with more of you. As you might know, I got back into the game (game, hah ... it has been compared to crack, but where crack steals your body, golf steals your soul) last year after being out of it for a while. While I don't take the game as serious as some, I do take it more serious than others and @Tricia will confirm. I move the ball, I will take a mulligan when I hit a shot that I know is not characteristic and I enjoy going to the range as much as I enjoy playing a round. I am one that believes 9 holes is not enough and 18 is too much some times and 14 would be about just right. I am concemplating on suggesting a rule change in that everyone shoots 72, now how far they get be it 12 holes or 18, so be it ;) I am on my 3rd stroke on the Par 5 13th hole, thats 72? I am done, see you guys at the bar. :)

What I have found in golf and for the equipment nerds here, get a club fitting. it is on par with a good boot fit and the fitter will not so much be concentrating on what heads you have but like a boot fit, what shafts.
I have been playing golf since I was 9 years old, same age when I started skiing. I played on both my high school and college teams. Was good once…..age and injury and a few broken bones don’t allow me to be a scratch player anymore but I’m fine with that. Due to a few major surgeries the past 16 months I’ve not played as much. I have been lucky enough to play 4 times so far and shot 79-78-82-80. Great advice from Phil is you really need and should get a proper fitting for your next set of clubs!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She has my arms and kills it.
I think I need to watch more LPGA.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.35.41 AM.png

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today at the practice range was HUGE for me.
A combination of watching and analyzing Hinako's grip, swing and form, as well as having Phil watch me to let me know what I was doing, compared to what I thought I was doing. He gave me some really good constructive advice and it completely changed my approach.
@Living Proof you were right, I was swinging my arms but not following through with my hips/shoulders.
Obvioulsy I still have a bunch to work on like keeping my shoulders stable in my backswing and keeping my head down but not dipping during the backswing...baby steps.

Video of today

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today at the practice range was HUGE for me.
A combination of watching and analyzing Hinako's grip, swing and form, as well as having Phil watch me to let me know what I was doing, compared to what I thought I was doing. He gave me some really good constructive advice and it completely changed my approach.
@Living Proof you were right, I was swinging my arms but not following through with my hips/shoulders.
Obvioulsy I still have a bunch to work on like keeping my shoulders stable in my backswing and keeping my head down but not dipping during the backswing...baby steps.

Video of today
I see a lot of improvement as described. I think you're a bit "tight" in the shoulders. Your arms should follow your hips and get thrown. Your arms should follow-through/extend out in front of you, instead of wrapping below your left shoulder.

Edit: Here's a video about relaxing arms/shoulders in golf...

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just started watching LPGA and I’m enjoying it a lot!
The women are almost boring to watch in that their swings are so good and so smooth, they are like metronomes ;) . They favor technique over the power that the men rely on.

i'd love to see an open tourney where the best 20 women, 20 seniors and 20 men play. The women play from (about) 6500 yards, seniors, 7000 yards and the men 7500 yards.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Canadian Open this weekend at lovely Oakdale country club just up the road here. Not sure I'll make it there this year...

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The women are almost boring to watch in that their swings are so good and so smooth, they are like metronomes ;) . They favor technique over the power that the men rely on.

i'd love to see an open tourney where the best 20 women, 20 seniors and 20 men play. The women play from (about) 6500 yards, seniors, 7000 yards and the men 7500 yards.
Watching in person, I find watching the men to be like watching superheroes. Their distance and power are so incredible I cannot relate to their game. When I have watched the women play, their games are more mortal and relatable. I can aspire to hit the ball like them with consistency. I will never hit the ball like one of the men.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They did. It was called the Wendy’s three tour challenge. Mardy Fish is a former tennis pro and scratch golfer at Bel-Air CC (Also a fellow lefty).He played with the ladies from the same tees, and won the amateur end of the tournament. And finished 27 shots behind the ladies winner. Their tour has gotten a lot better and deeper in the last 20 years. It’s the kind of boring golf we all aspire to.

Sponsor

Staff online