• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Watching in person, I find watching the men to be like watching superheroes. Their distance and power are so incredible I cannot relate to their game. When I have watched the women play, their games are more mortal and relatable. I can aspire to hit the ball like them with consistency. I will never hit the ball like one of the men.
That's exactly how I view it. I mean, I will never be anywhere near as good as the female golfers either, but it surely is more relatable for me when watching than the men's is.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's exactly how I view it. I mean, I will never be anywhere near as good as the female golfers either, but it surely is more relatable for me when watching than the men's is.
Same here.
As it relates to my skiing, I pride myself as an advanced female skier wtih an achivable skill-set.
I will never ski like a pro but I'm pretty good, ya know?
In Golf, I hope to be a pretty good intermediate and any better I get beyond that is the cherry on top.

Yesterday was my second lesson and the golf pro actually said, (after he had me hit a few balls) "I didn't think you'd pick this up so quickly. Have you been out practicing?"
Me: "Yeah, 8 or 9 times."
Him: "It shows. Nice work."

I have yet to play a round because I'm also practicing patience.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The sole of my 17 year old golf shoes was coming apart last week, so I used my bootfitting skills to glue them back together until I could go shopping for golf shoes.
I asked my buddy @Ben Schomin which puma shoes I should look at. He asked me my size (7) and said, "Hey, you're sample size, let me see what I can dig up."
A box showed up at my house yesterday afternoon with *some* new golf shoes for me, all sample size.
I'm going to share some with a friend who's daughters are gettting into golf, also sample size.

IMG_7497.jpeg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's sample size for men's golf shoes? Somehow I'm wishing I didn't throw down for new ones to replace my 20+ year olds.

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The sole of my 17 year old golf shoes was coming apart last week, so I used my bootfitting skills to blue them back together until I could go shopping for golf shoes.
I asked my buddy @Ben Schomin which puma shoes I should look at. He asked me my size (7) and said, "Hey, you're sample size, let me see what I can dig up."
A box showed up at my house yesterday afternoon with *some* new golf shoes for me, all sample size.
I'm going to share some with a friend who's daughters are gettting into golf, also sample size.

View attachment 205193
Wow, that's AWESOME!!!

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have a golf net they can recommend for backyard practice? I had a Callaway quad that someone gave me a couple of years ago and liked it a lot.. it was a pop up so super easy to setup and also to break down to store, and it was a great large size to catch my errant shots and collect balls. I actually have plenty of room in my yard and woods all around so if something flies it's not a big deal, but easier to keep everything contained too. Well.. apparently storing my net in the shed over the winter was a bad idea because some mice had a field day with it. :doh: The same net is no longer available, and I don’t love what it was replaced with based on reviews.

I’ve been reading reviews for several days and they all seem to be of horrible quality outside of exceptionally expensive ones. So now I am in analysis paralysis. I just want something I can use in my backyard for all clubs including driver, but also that is relatively quick/easy to breakdown and store. I can’t leave it up full time because of our landscapers who cut the grass weekly and I also don’t want to kill the grass leaving it up in one spot. I’d prefer to spend under $300.

I work from home and having the ability to work on my swing throughout the day will get me a lot more practice time than needing to drive to the range all the time. I still have a weekly group lesson and biweekly course lessons as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's sample size for men's golf shoes? Somehow I'm wishing I didn't throw down for new ones to replace my 20+ year olds.
Not sure what sample size is for men, but....
I had to replace mine because they were actually coming apart.
IMG_7399.jpeg

Wow, that's AWESOME!!!
Its almost embarrassing. :rolleyes:
When I reached out to him, I was asking for advice on their shoe line, figuring he'd have a recommendation and because I wanted to buy a pair of Pumas to support his brand.
When he told me that I was sample size and he'd see what they had available, I really thought he'd send me one pair. When the box arrived, it looked like it could hold a couple shoe boxes, so I thought maybe two pair to try. When I opened it, there were no shoe boxes, just shoes, hats and visors.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 11.34.57 AM.png

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Not sure what sample size is for men, but....
I had to replace mine because they were actually coming apart.
View attachment 205200

Its almost embarrassing. :rolleyes:
When I reached out to him, I was asking for advice on their shoe line, figuring he'd have a recommendation and because I wanted to buy a pair of Pumas to support his brand.
When he told me that I was sample size and he'd see what they had available, I really thought he'd send me one pair. When the box arrived, it looked like it could hold a couple shoe boxes, so I thought maybe two pair to try. When I opened it, there were no shoe boxes, just shoes, hats and visors.

View attachment 205201
Very nice CARE package.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 5.06.18 PM.png

I am working on getting my weight forward through impact and driving the ball cleaner. Ideally I am looking to gain a club length into my woods.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like your weight transfer, left shoulder height/angle, but wondering if your left arm could be straighter. Got a picture of your finish position? Also, what are you using to draw the lines on the pictures?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like your weight transfer, left shoulder height/angle, but wondering if your left arm could be straighter. Got a picture of your finish position? Also, what are you using to draw the lines on the pictures?
How are your lessons going?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How are your lessons going?
Had just the one lesson (last Thurs 8 days ago) and saw big improvement. Played a short course Wed and saw big improvement driving irons, but not near as perfected. Getting the ball up better, better line, but not relaxed nor swinging freely enough. [Sounds like my tennis during practice vs actual matches, eh. :-].

Besides the driving iron improvement, putting and short game have improved a lot. Now 2 putting or better. Also, saw a pitching video that changed my game.

Looking forward to another group lesson (on course this time) on Monday to see if the instructor can see what I'm doing differently from range vs play.

I've hope to break bogey on my little short course.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Had just the one lesson (last Thurs 8 days ago) and saw big improvement. Played a short course Wed and saw big improvement driving irons, but not near as perfected. Getting the ball up better, better line, but not relaxed nor swinging freely enough. [Sounds like my tennis during practice vs actual matches, eh. :-].

Besides the driving iron improvement, putting and short game have improved a lot. Now 2 putting or better. Also, saw a pitching video that changed my game.

Looking forward to another group lesson (on course this time) on Monday to see if the instructor can see what I'm doing differently from range vs play.

I am sure your "feel" if distance is helped by your tennis background.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I've had two lessons and practiced a ton but have not yet golfed a round.
We're thinking of doing a 9 next week.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I've had two lessons and practiced a ton but have not yet golfed a round.
We're thinking of doing a 9 next week.
Do you have any executive length courses nearby? I find them so much less frustrating and demoralizing and more amenable to experiencing success.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have any executive length courses nearby? I find them so much less frustrating and demoralizing and more amenable to experiencing success.
we do, but its private. :(

Sponsor