• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally agree with you about 14 holes being the absolutely perfect amount. By hole 17...I've started to lose interest unless I'm really playing well and my focus is good. I've been at it for about 15 years. I don't like it quite as much as skiing but it is a close second for me and good foil and nice complementary skill to skiing.

I'm currently a 15 handicap but I've been able to see and experience noticeable improvement over the years and I really have the right instructor for me which is making a big difference. My ball striking continues to improve and that is leading to more consistent and crips shots which makes it more fun. Golf can be incredibly demoralizing when you are struggling and we all have been there. Its the most demoralizing when you don't know WHY you are struggling. Guessing out there on the golf course is the worst feeling b/c its basically desperation. I've moved past that and its making it so much more fun. I have plenty of mishits but they aren't so wild that they don't punish me the way the used to. I also am not using as much energy to swing the club b/c my sequencing is so much better. The game really is mind F. I'd like to get down into single digits, but it will likely take more time and practice than I can afford right now.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I completely agree with the thoughts on 18 holes being too much. I enjoy it but it becomes an all day affair to play a round. Leave the house an hour before tee time to drive, check in, and hit a small bucket of balls to warm up. Four hours to play, if you’re lucky, then 1/2 hour back home. At a minimum it is 51/2 hours away from home and more likely 6 to play a round.
That said, I am enjoying playing a little more now that I am retired and plan to take some lessons this year. I signed up for a GHIN number so I now have an official handicap index for the first time in my life.
Gotta start early. Our normal summer Sunday tee time. If you look closely you will see we aren’t the first ones off.

Attachments

• 03D8174F-5E5A-40F5-9672-634287DF74CC.jpeg
    03D8174F-5E5A-40F5-9672-634287DF74CC.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 9

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Much like showing up at the National Gathering, I joined a group of "internet friends" at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort in April of 2017. If you have never been, it is quite the experience. Probably cheaper to fly and play in Scotland, but...

Five full length courses plus a 13-hole par 3 course, huge range and practice area and a 100,000 square foot putting green called the Punchbowl that pays homage to the famous Himalayas course at St. Andrews. Under construction and slated to open in 2024 is another short course.

I highly recommend a visit. Here are a few teaser photos from my first visit.

original.jpg

original.jpg

^^ The Preserve, 13-hole par 3 course

original.jpg

original.jpg

^^ The Punchbowl. An 18-hole putting course is set out each day. Beverage service provided from the adjacent clubhouse.
Note the cupholders that mark each "tee."

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Much like showing up at the National Gathering, I joined a group of "internet friends" at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort in April of 2017. If you have never been, it is quite the experience. Probably cheaper to fly and play in Scotland, but...

Five full length courses plus a 13-hole par 3 course, huge range and practice area and a 100,000 square foot putting green called the Punchbowl that pays homage to the famous Himalayas course at St. Andrews. Under construction and slated to open in 2024 is another short course.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

^^ The Punchbowl. An 18-hole putting course is set out each day. Beverage service provided from the adjacent clubhouse.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
Bandon is amazing! Definitely not a cheap experience but a bucket-list level unique experience.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bandon is amazing! Definitely not a cheap experience but a bucket-list level unique experience.
Even if you are just passing through Bandon OR at least stop and play a round at Bandon Crossing, just South of town. This is the course were the caddies from Bandon Dunes all play. Great course and affordable. Play at Bandon Dunes if you can. they are about as good as golf gets, but you will feel like you bought one of the holes after they crunch your credit card. At least go hit at the practice facility it is pretty astounding. Here is a picture of the putting green mentioned above (The Punch Bowl)
20150301_113254.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Recently started playing again after a long hiatus (kids, job). I'm on 9 hole short executive courses. Definitely don't have the game for longer. It's a nice once weekly respite from my primary sport: tennis.
In Incline? I heard it was a good course, Par 54? I think I might be able to shoot a 72 ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Incline? I heard it was a good course, Par 54? I think I might be able to shoot a 72 ;)
Just here in SF South Bay. Just a couple of golf outings so far. Just restarted golf again.

Never tried the courses at Incline. Don't spend enough summer days there.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
Stunning. Just. Stunning.
I have heard of it, I know I don't have the game to appreciate it though.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard for me to believe that I use to walk and carry my bag for 36 holes for several consecutive days. Eighteen holes also feel to long for me these days.

On the fence about playing golf this year since I bought a mountain bike last fall. So much to enjoy but not enough time!

Let’s have a SkiTalk golf gathering at Old Brockway this summer.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When they first opened Bandon, they had a winter rate for Oregonians. 35 dollars. It’s not on the way to anywhere and they didn’t think anyone would want to play in the winter. But the weather isn’t really that bad. Buddy and I would drive down and play 36 holes, then come back home. Also had a group that played the Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving for years until they priced us out. But it is a fantastic set of courses. I will probably bone out the money to play sheeps ranch, it’s the only one I haven’t played yet. My favorite is still Bandon Dunes the original.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The past 3 seasons, my clubs have come out of storage for fundraiser I do every year for my old high school and that’s it.

I used to think my game couldn’t get much worse, but apparently it has.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I began my career as a hacker back in the mid-60s when I was ten or eleven years old. This was actually a couple years before I began skiing. I was the youngest of four children and my mom got me into golf when she took up the sport in middle age as her nest emptied. She avidly developed a beautiful, smooth golf swing and could shoot in the 80s at age 70. I was not as serious about golf and never progressed too far. Had an official handicap of 18 for a couple years in my 20s, but haven't maintained one since and I'm lucky to break 100 now on a full length 18 hole course. These days I really enjoy walking 9 holes once a week during summer months at a local muni near me for a senior rate of about $14 - kind of the golfing equivalent of skiing blue square groomers at a small ski area for two hours a week :)

Photo from a pretty summer day with some fellow Ski Talkers in 2021 at Canaan Valley Resort Golf Club, WV, note ski slopes in background:
1683027412067.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stunning. Just. Stunning.
I have heard of it, I know I don't have the game to appreciate it though.

Seriously, while the golf is challenging, it is very much of a fun type of challenging. I'm pretty much a career 12-ish handicapper, and I spent the four days with a giant smile on my face. A throwback style of course architecture that encourages thought and shotmaking. Mostly wide open so you can tack your way around the trouble if you like. A great deal of delight can be had using the contours on the ground to get the ball toward the hole. Sometimes the putter from 50 yards out is the right choice. So much of a contrast to the style of golf architecture that evolved in the 80's/90's that seems to be a point-to-point, purely aerial form of golf, with lots "do-or-die" shots. (not fun IMO). The biggest challenge at Bandon is obviously, the weather.

Hard for me to believe that I use to walk and carry my bag for 36 holes for several consecutive days. Eighteen holes also feel to long for me these days.

My "return" to fitness was initiated by my signing on for the Bandon trip. To train for 36-holes / day of walking golf, I dragged out, dusted off the old mountain bike and started grinding out 10-12 mile rides on the canal banks. I enjoy walking and carrying when I can (not in the Phoenix summer!).

... I will probably bone out the money to play sheeps ranch, it’s the only one I haven’t played yet. My favorite is still Bandon Dunes the original.

Although I've only one round on each, I think I agree, the original Bandon Dunes course is my favorite.

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier

And this is how to play 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours at age 76. Note: It works fine on flat surfaces but can't handle side hills. I switch to manual mode and have it go in front of me while I steer it with a remote in those cases.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

And this is how to play 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours at age 76. Note: It works fine on flat surfaces but can't handle side hills. I switch to manual mode and have it go in front of me while I steer it with a remote in those cases.
Pat, you are a hoot! Always enjoy your posts and ZEST for life!

Sponsor

Staff online