• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Season started with hearing that my golf coach has moved on to be the Director of Instruction at a country club. It was like a punch to the gut.

By some strange coincidence, within days I met a guy on a pickleball court who has been a head golf pro for 26 years. I'm sure it's neither strange nor a coincidence. Yet TBD is whether he's the one for me, but I *think* he has the qualifications ... :roflmao:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When they first opened Bandon, they had a winter rate for Oregonians. 35 dollars. It’s not on the way to anywhere and they didn’t think anyone would want to play in the winter. But the weather isn’t really that bad. Buddy and I would drive down and play 36 holes, then come back home. Also had a group that played the Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving for years until they priced us out. But it is a fantastic set of courses. I will probably bone out the money to play sheeps ranch, it’s the only one I haven’t played yet. My favorite is still Bandon Dunes the original.
I LOVE Sheeps Ranch. We got luck and had a 75 degree sunny day with no wind. The final stretch along the ocean is so hauntingly beautiful you can hardly wrap your brain around it. I will go dig up a picture.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When working in Coos Bay, OR back in 17 (one town north of Bandon) the Chief Router on the project did a lot of the survey work for all the courses at Bandon Dunes as a side gig. Going to play there with him, and getting the good friends deal, was the only way I could justify playing the courses. Got on them on weekend rate of $50/ a round.
At the time when you went to the free practice area there were pyramids of Pro V 1's everywhere on the driving range. You found a lot of them on all of the local courses for some reason. They were such a great ball that is what all the caddies hit for some reason too.

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
Playing at a nice course I find a lot of top quality balls. At my old course, one member paid for his golf each year by selling balls he found to a local driving range. He was so aggressive in his pursuit that we had to institute a rule for him. He was no longer allowed to retrieve lost balls until they had stopped rolling...... :roflmao:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At the time when you went to the free practice area there were pyramids of Pro V 1's everywhere on the driving range. You found a lot of them on all of the local courses for some reason. They were such a great ball that is what all the caddies hit for some reason too.
The Pro V1 is like a FIS race ski, unless you have the game, its not the right ball for most golfers. You need a pretty high swing speed to get the most out of it. Just because the pro's use it, does not mean its the right ball for the average golfer.

patmoore

Skier
Quote Philpug: The Pro V1 is like a FIS race ski, unless you have the game, its not the right ball for most golfers. You need a pretty high swing speed to get the most out of it. Just because the pro's use it, does not mean its the right ball for the average golfer.

True, I find more Pro V1s than any other kind of ball so I do use them a lot but I've found I tend to do best with the Callaway Super Soft.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the early 90's I got into golf, started shooting around 120, got down to about 100 ish. Got my friends into it, they were shooting 120, so I would kick their butt pretty good, and talked a ton of smack on the course... Every week they got better and better, pretty soon they started beating me, so I quit. I pretty much suck at all sports that require you to swing something (golf, baseball, tennis...).

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The Pro V1 is like a FIS race ski, unless you have the game, its not the right ball for most golfers. You need a pretty high swing speed to get the most out of it. Just because the pro's use it, does not mean its the right ball for the average golfer.
Just to continue the discussion, most (or many) discussions about finding the right ball state to start by hitting balls from 100 yds or less. The idea is to find how they hold on greens with the height and spin of a specific golfer. How a ball reacts when chipping can make a big difference, my opinion! There is web site My Golf Spy that publishes a ball review based on actual testing they conduct each year, including cutting balls in half to observe the consistency of product. One outcome is they give Titleist highest marks for quality control consistency. I'd invite any interested to check out the 2023 ball reviews on their site. Data driven research!
Personally, I do not agree with the comparison of a tour level ball with FIS race ski. We all play a Pro V1 on occasion, at my swing speed any extra distance is minimal, not worth the premium price. There is no punishment for using the Pro V1 on the course (other than loosing a $4+ golf ball.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Absolutely agree with you on the nature of that golfball.
Pretty much everyone around Bandon hit them for the purest of all reasons. They were free.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely agree. I’ve been in numerous leagues, played dozens of outings, and played enough at one point to have an 11 handicap. I get frustrated with people who spend more than a few minutes looking for their ball especially when it’s a 100 yards short or 40 yards right/left of where they’re even looking ……I buy my balls on E-Bay in bulk. Just for a quick example I went to EBay and took the following screenshot.

791AB3D0-8CFF-4E4A-8BB0-005E0B7603AE.png

Even with shipping that works out to $1.08/ball. Now look at the price of 1 dozen Pro V’s….

05690B2F-BE06-485E-AB51-747D9D6A2E90.png

Thats $4.58/ball for Pro-V’s. If you buy them at the clubhouse it will be over $5/ball. If you can’t shoot a single digit handicap you don’t have the skill to unlock a Pro-V ball. At $5/ball of course you want to spend 5 minutes looking for it. You’re going to spend more on lost balls than you did on greens fees every time out. That $1 ball will bounce off that houses siding and into their flower bed just as good as the $5 ball. The $1 ball will headshot kill that goose just as sure as the $5 ball.

The Srixon example above is a very good ball. More than good enough for someone shooting 80’s and beyond. Here’s the real upside…. When losing a ball is no sweat off your balls you’ll enjoy your round much more. The shots into the woods, into the water, they don’t sting as much. Keep an extra ball in your pocket, look for your ball for a minute and when you don’t find it, drop a ball and play on. You’ll be happier and you’ll make everyone behind you happier too! It’s a win win.

The ball does not make you a better ball striker. When you start shooting sub 80 and can get around 18 with a single sleeve of balls then by all means, play with the big boys. Rant over :roflmao:

Here’s my closet currently….. I paid .60c/ball for the Nike One’s. There’s the last dozen of 6 dozen precepts, 2 dozen left of 6 dozen noodles, 6 sleeves of 24 left of the Calloways. The Wilson’s are my wife’s pink balls and everything else was either a gift or won at outings. I’ve paid less than 90c for every ball I’ve played for the last 20 years. I carry a couple dozen balls in my bag at all times.

1FFC1A53-98B7-4E7B-8B8F-AD75C1643117.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of balls in the water. Here is Scuba Steve after his hail at the local course. I think the round white one might be mine.
IMG_2375.jpeg

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Absolutely agree. I’ve been in numerous leagues, played dozens of outings, and played enough at one point to have an 11 handicap. I get frustrated with people who spend more than a few minutes looking for their ball especially when it’s a 100 yards short or 40 yards right/left of where they’re even looking ……I buy my balls on E-Bay in bulk. Just for a quick example I went to EBay and took the following screenshot.

View attachment 202588

Even with shipping that works out to $1.08/ball. Now look at the price of 1 dozen Pro V’s….

View attachment 202589

Thats $4.58/ball for Pro-V’s. If you buy them at the clubhouse it will be over $5/ball. If you can’t shoot a single digit handicap you don’t have the skill to unlock a Pro-V ball. At $5/ball of course you want to spend 5 minutes looking for it. You’re going to spend more on lost balls than you did on greens fees every time out. That $1 ball will bounce off that houses siding and into their flower bed just as good as the $5 ball. The $1 ball will headshot kill that goose just as sure as the $5 ball.

The Srixon example above is a very good ball. More than good enough for someone shooting 80’s and beyond. Here’s the real upside…. When losing a ball is no sweat off your balls you’ll enjoy your round much more. The shots into the woods, into the water, they don’t sting as much. Keep an extra ball in your pocket, look for your ball for a minute and when you don’t find it, drop a ball and play on. You’ll be happier and you’ll make everyone behind you happier too! It’s a win win.

The ball does not make you a better ball striker. When you start shooting sub 80 and can get around 18 with a single sleeve of balls then by all means, play with the big boys. Rant over :roflmao:

Here’s my closet currently….. I paid .60c/ball for the Nike One’s. There’s the last dozen of 6 dozen precepts, 2 dozen left of 6 dozen noodles, 6 sleeves of 24 left of the Calloways. The Wilson’s are my wife’s pink balls and everything else was either a gift or won at outings. I’ve paid less than 90c for every ball I’ve played for the last 20 years. I carry a couple dozen balls in my bag at all times.

View attachment 202593
Totally agree with the ball analysis. I buy Kirkland at Costco but the Srixon deal looks pretty sweet.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
$5/ball? Shoot a .50BMG rifle. $6/bang and you never have a chance of getting it back no matter how long you look! :roflmao:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Recently started playing again after a long hiatus (kids, job). I'm on 9 hole short executive courses. Definitely don't have the game for longer. It's a nice once weekly respite from my primary sport: tennis.

In Incline? I heard it was a good course, Par 54? I think I might be able to shoot a 72 ;)

@Plai You should try to play the mountain course when you are in Incline. It is a fun course, IMHO much more fun than the champ course here, and it really feels like you are in the mountains. Several holes where you are hitting off a (well!!) elevated tee to the green down below - most of the distance to the hole is vertical!

Also the site of my only hole in one, at the 17th. I knew I had hit the ball fairly well for me and it should be on the green but since it is an elevated green, I couldn't see it land. So we walked up and no sign of the ball, looked around a bit then one of our group walked over to the pin and saw it in the cup!

And yes it was with a Pro V1 x ball.......which I had found earlier in the round! And, to make it a perfect day for a Scotsman, it wa s free round of golf since there had been a fire in the clubhouse the night before and they could process green fees!!

IMG_0389.jpeg

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I picked up golf 6 years ago in preparation for early retirement and ended up getting hooked immediately. My golf season is April-November, and I play golf almost everyday - walking/carrying 9 during the week and riding 27 on weekends. I play 200+ rounds a season and it is starting to feel like work but I cannot give up at this point...
CC43F77C-7D3A-460E-AB50-1B692D779FCD.jpeg

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up golf 6 years ago in preparation for early retirement and ended up getting hooked immediately. My golf season is April-November, and I play golf almost everyday - walking/carrying 9 during the week and riding 27 on weekends. I play 200+ rounds a season and it is starting to feel like work but I cannot give up at this point... View attachment 202631
Nice! It takes commitment to get a handicap like that!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! It wasn’t easy getting there but it is A LOT harder to maintain it!
That is really fantastic Ace. Here’s a screenshot from my tracker. This is from 2018-2019 and only on rounds when I actually ran the tracker. I don’t run it on scrambles, league play, beer golfing with certain clowns where laughs and time together are the objective, and/or practice rounds (twilights). I had a good buddy back in MI that shot a lot of serious golf with me. Most of these scores were shot during our competitive play. Most of these scores are from the Blue Tees. If it was a shorter course we’d play from the Black. As you can see from my GIR, my iron play is my weak spot. Short game and putting is good so I’m able to scramble for a lot of pars.
I’ve only golfed 4 times since COVID. It’s another sport that my blown knee impacted. I’m anxious to get back on the tee box but not anxious for the scores. 2 of my last 4 outings were over 100. The 79 is my lowest round.

59044AC0-39D7-4E50-90F5-F63D79C1D544.jpeg

Last edited:

patmoore

Skier
I have to share this with you. My former business partner was the president of a nice course in Connecticut. They had a member who was a notorious cheat. He always carried an identical ball in his pocket and never lost a ball. One day in a tournament he skulled his approach to an uphill par four. The foursome was looking around the back of the green and his fellow competitors kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't "find" his ball once again. He pointed at the sky and yelled, "bald eagle" and of course everyone looked up. The ball in his pocket was now "found" over the green. The other players grumbled that he had gotten away with it again. He chipped up and discovered that his original ball had hit the pin and dropped into the cup for an eagle! He got so much grief for that he quit the club.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have to share this with you. My former business partner was the president of a nice course in Connecticut. They had a member who was a notorious cheat. He always carried an identical ball in his pocket and never lost a ball. One day in a tournament he skulled his approach to an uphill par four. The foursome was looking around the back of the green and his fellow competitors kept an eye on him to make sure he didn't "find" his ball once again. He pointed at the sky and yelled, "bald eagle" and of course everyone looked up. The ball in his pocket was now "found" over the green. The other players grumbled that he had gotten away with it again. He chipped up and discovered that his original ball had hit the pin and dropped into the cup for an eagle! He got so much grief for that he quit the club.
Karma finally caught up to him! I have played with a few cheats/sandbaggers myself. They really ruin the game for everyone. Do you know if this guy is still golfing anywhere?

Sponsor

Staff online