• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have started using oversized grips when regripping clubs. Really appreciate them on the short irons and wedges. My hands are not particularly large but it really seems to help in not strangeing the clubs and creating a better swing/ball strike.
Got into the habit of regriping every 3 years or so with the irons; the drivers' grip never seems to last that long.
This one’s a bit overdue……. Superstition has held me back……. It’s going into the shop next time I go. Thousands of balls…..
IMG_6750.jpeg

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A quick FYI on golf club regriping. I've done my own for many years, it's a simple process for anyone with the basic skills used to tune their own skis. The traditional method of using dual sided tape and solvent is messy, a bit of a PITA. On YouTube there are several video showing how grips can be installed using compressed air....yes, even a bicycle pump will work. My very basic small compressor, used to add air to a car tire, works just fine. Below is a video of the process. Another benefit is the same technique can be used to easily remove a grip that was installed using air. BTW, my compressor is much small and basic than that used in the video, same person has another video using a bike pump.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I won’t play with club chuckers. I refuse to play with one of my best friends. I never get mad. If an amateur can’t play golf without getting angry they need to find something else to do. The potential for disappointment on the golf course is enormous. :roflmao:
My son is an excellent player - full-boat golf scholarship to Virginia Tech. When he was 12 or so we were playing a round at Congressional with a guy who couldn’t control himself. He’d hit a bad shot, throw his club, curse, yell at his caddie and so on. On about the 8th hole he really let rip after dumping one in the water. My son looked at him and said quietly, “You know, you shouldn’t get mad. You aren’t good enough to get mad!” The guy didn’t say another word the rest of the round.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I won’t play with club chuckers. I refuse to play with one of my best friends. I never get mad. If an amateur can’t play golf without getting angry they need to find something else to do. The potential for disappointment on the golf course is enormous. :roflmao:
So you're saying that you could potentially play with me? I'll bring my flask ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My son is an excellent player - full-boat golf scholarship to Virginia Tech. When he was 12 or so we were playing a round at Congressional with a guy who couldn’t control himself. He’d hit a bad shot, throw his club, curse, yell at his caddie and so on. On about the 8th hole he really let rip after dumping one in the water. My son looked at him and said quietly, “You know, you shouldn’t get mad. You aren’t good enough to get mad!” The guy didn’t say another word the rest of the round.
That is the best story.

And to that point, I know I'm not good, and I look at it as a bit of excercise, outside, with friends, hitting a little white ball with dimples and hoping I can get it into the tin cup in a timely manner.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
full-boat golf scholarship to Virginia Tech
They have a great course there too! (https://petedyerivercourse.com/) Though I haven't played it yet unfortunately. I was down there for an engineering meeting last year at the course, and took this pic from the clubhouse deck in the early evening. I think this is number 10 and 18, along the New River:

20221103_182443 ACR Conv Small.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we drive from here to Sun Valley we see this golf course that is absolutley spectacular.
I think @Philpug would like to golf there some time.
The photo was not amazing because I took it through the car window while we were driving.

IMG_8301.jpeg

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So you're saying that you could potentially play with me? I'll bring my flask ;)
I’ll be up that way after I get settled into Vegas. We can definitely play some golf. I usually have a 3 beer limit while golfing. If I keep it to 1 every 6 holes it doesn’t impair my game. Unless I shoot 50 on the front and things are trending down. At that point…… :beercheer:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When we drive from here to Sun Valley we see this golf course that is absolutley spectacular.
I think @Philpug would like to golf there some time.
The photo was not amazing because I took it through the car window while we were driving.

View attachment 203144
Is that going over the bridge at Twin Falls,ID? Good course, played it a bunch while working there a few years back. Not that tough a course, as long as the wind is down, but some great views especially the waterfall and base jumper.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Tricia here are a couple of views from the bottom on the course.

Attachments

• 20180901_190939.jpg
    20180901_190939.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180901_190925.jpg
    20180901_190925.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1683745528043.png

This is Old Mill Golf Course in Cottonwood Heights, UT. I played the front nine in late May 2020 with borrowed clubs. Beautiful and scenic layout for a public course. It has significant elevation change. Might play it again this year before I head east in early June. This is the course you see when approaching the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
This one’s a bit overdue……. Superstition has held me back……. It’s going into the shop next time I go. Thousands of balls…..
When the tech told me how to clean grips, he said "dishwashing liquid, like Dawn, and a stiff brush". I said "you mean like a wire brush?" You should've seen his face. Obviously, he and I have different criteria for "stiff".

The face he made ... :geek: ... that's the same face you're going to see when you take that club in.

You might be able to score a 2nd :geek: if you tell them the grips were dirty so you scrubbed them with a wire brush.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When the tech told me how to clean grips, he said "dishwashing liquid, like Dawn, and a stiff brush". I said "you mean like a wire brush?" You should've seen his face. Obviously, he and I have different criteria for "stiff".
Because they were so glossy and slick, we actually used an emory block on Tricia's grips ... then with Dawn. We are just buying some time to see if she can get her hypermobility under control for her swing.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
20230511_122238.jpg

old mill golf course today, 11 may 2023, quite busy on beautiful 70 deg day.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that an elevated tee box you are on?
No, it's a zoom from near this spot on Wasatch Blvd where I like to ride my bike on days I don't ski. But there are a couple of cool elevated tees on the first nine.

20230511_121820.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0695.jpeg

From the practice range at Spanish Peaks MT. Each station had the exact yardage to each pin. Thats how the other 1% play.