• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yardage doesn't mean much when you're not hitting your typical ball...
These were also not your typical "bulk buy" range balls, they were higher end balls. Then you also take elevation into account, there are a lot of variables to adjust for. Chances are anyone playing here $$$$ should have the skills to adjust, like I said, 1%'ers.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
These were also not your typical "bulk buy" range balls, they were higher end balls. Then you also take elevation into account, there are a lot of variables to adjust for. Chances are anyone playing here $$$$ should have the skills to adjust, like I said, 1%'ers.
higher end balls still all perform differently

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I don't know Phil.
I have paid some pretty high prices to play some really crappy golf at times. :dig:
Have also paid some real reasonable green fees for some really good courses such as.........

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have paid some pretty high prices to play some really crappy golf at times. :dig:
Then the balls that were provided on the range probably didn't matter. ;)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who might want to do a coule of days in Idaho to play?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this stray dog on the course today, not sure when she ate last, she was looking for food.
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
The widow of a friend who died a few months ago just gave me a set of his clubs. Ping ISI-K that are probably 20+ years old, My hands turned black holding the grips. I installed a new set of midsize grips and entered a State Day Tournament on Tuesday opting for the Forward Tee Class of 21 competitors because I'm getting up there in years (76). Despite a triple bogey on a hole that I had birded the day before I shot 84 and was surprised to discover that was enough to win low gross. I won $120. This is the third tournament in a row that I've finished in the money. Next one is this coming Monday.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our local Costco is doing a golf cart show right now. Ironically (and with no photo :rolleyes: my bad), they are selling Epic and Icon with a C carts. The one is claimed to be street legal as it can be registered, top speed of 35 or 38, aggressive tires, sound bar, GPS, etc etc etc.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
After watching the PGA Championship, if I am ever invited to play Oak Hill East, the answer is "just say no". The PGA group always seems to look for a classic old course, then figure out what has to be done to make it almost unplayable. There were press reports stating an average golfer would not break 150, using more forward Tee positions. Host club members dread the Pro's shooting way under par and welcome transitioning a course to almost unplayable. Oak Hill members were not allowed to play the course at all prior to the event, they will be shaking their heads for a while until the course becomes member friendly. For sure, they need to bring a lot of golf balls, they will never find them in that rough!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah i saw they nullified a round in a women's game a few weeks back saying one hole was unplayable due to pin position. I get it but, you can't IMHO plant the hole in the middle of a steep hill when the green is as fast as concrete. They would putt, miss the hole and the ball would roll back to the start point and go 20' further. I've played a course like that and just shook my head. Same round I had rough so thick and deep you simply had to play straight back into the fairway. That bothered me less because at least you had a play not involving a mini putt obstacle...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well that, at least, is easily changed by a single mowing if they want to get it more playable for the regular members.
Not trying to quibble and not a greenskeeper but I imagine they'd cut it down over a few weeks so they don't take down it too much at one time. But yeah one cut will certainly make it more playable.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had the misfortune of playing Merion ... right after a major tournament, IIRC it was Junior Nationals. I went out with the couple where she was the Club Champion. Merion is a course that you have to play with a caddy, I recall one of the holes we watched my drive just roll into the rough, the caddy immediately said "Hit another one". I said, but we saw where it rolled, he said "Hit another one, we aren't going to find it". The greens were so fast and so undulating, they were like a mogul field after a rainstorm and a fast freeze. I stopped keeping score after the front nine, I was already over 60 it was so demoralizing. The folks that invited me were very apologetic and invited me back to play again under normal conditions. I never was able to take them up on it.

To say these Pro's are good, is an understatement along the lines of saying Daron, Bode or Michaela are good. They play a game that I am unfamiliar with.

Sponsor

Staff online