• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know there are a few golfers here, I have played with some and look forward to playing with more of you. As you might know, I got back into the game (game, hah ... it has been compared to crack, but where crack steals your body, golf steals your soul) last year after being out of it for a while. While I don't take the game as serious as some, I do take it more serious than others and @Tricia will confirm. I move the ball, I will take a mulligan when I hit a shot that I know is not characteristic and I enjoy going to the range as much as I enjoy playing a round. I am one that believes 9 holes is not enough and 18 is too much some times and 14 would be about just right. I am concemplating on suggesting a rule change in that everyone shoots 72, now how far they get be it 12 holes or 18, so be it ;) I am on my 3rd stroke on the Par 5 13th hole, thats 72? I am done, see you guys at the bar. :)

What I have found in golf and for the equipment nerds here, get a club fitting. it is on par with a good boot fit and the fitter will not so much be concentrating on what heads you have but like a boot fit, what shafts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I completely agree with the thoughts on 18 holes being too much. I enjoy it but it becomes an all day affair to play a round. Leave the house an hour before tee time to drive, check in, and hit a small bucket of balls to warm up. Four hours to play, if you’re lucky, then 1/2 hour back home. At a minimum it is 51/2 hours away from home and more likely 6 to play a round.
That said, I am enjoying playing a little more now that I am retired and plan to take some lessons this year. I signed up for a GHIN number so I now have an official handicap index for the first time in my life.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be mostly playing an evening 9 holes each week in the league I've been in for about the last 20 years. But I get out for 18 some weekends too, and will likely be taking a couple of trips to golf. My handicap was down to an 18 last season, and I feel like I haven't had a good round if I'm not in the 80's, which is quite a bit of improvement for me over the last few years.

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Last summer was kind of lost from ripping my left bicep loose, it did nothing good for my game.
This year the doctor, who knows me, won't let me swing a club, even pitch and putt, for another couple of weeks; due to open heart surgery 2 months ago. Do wish there were better alternatives to getting old.

Have never had clubs fit and question the wisdom of doing so. Doubt I even swing the club the same twice in a row. How do you fit for that?

Would like to see more 'Executive Courses' built at existing facilities on usable land. (Dog parks too for that matter) There are a lot of people who like to say, "I played such-and-such a course and they just don't have the game for it. It tends diminish the experience for everybody; think beginning skier over terrained.
Have played a couple of courses with 'warm-up holes'. An extra par 4 or two before the course. Those would be a great addition to courses that have the space too.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Rediscovering the game currently. Been away (1-2 rounds a year?) for 18 years. When I left I had carried a 6-8 for a few years. This year I've scored 3 rounds (from +9 to +18), hit a few buckets of balls and gotten into riding my ebike 10min to the muni for some afternoon pitch and putt sessions.

Before next May I'd like to get my handicap established again and feel OK about my game. Going on pop's bucket list trip to Scotland for 10 days and want to be able to enjoy it. He ran courses indirectly for a good while in central OH and FL, and golf has always been our bonding activity.

Turns out certain equipment has changed a lot too. Went in a few weeks ago to get lie angle adjusted on my irons (gifted when I graduated college but never fit to me). Fitter had a good chuckle at the woods in my bag (steel shafted, "Supersteels" circa 2002?) but told me that not much has changed for irons in the interim (my AP2s are still in good nick).

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I love playing the shorter executive courses. I don’t feel so punished for one of my frequent bad shots.

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
I took up the game at age 42 (now 76) and became addicted to it. Seven years later after the dissolution of my first marriage I was playing five days a week and got my index down to 5.8. My game has been in the toilet the past few years. Last week I visited my old course in Connecticut just to reassure myself that I could once play this game and I took photos of the Champions Wall. In 1996 I won the both the stroke play and match play Club Championships and repeated at stroke play a year later. In playing the course that day I discovered that I've really lost distance. In my prime I played from the Blues and teed off with a 2 iron on all but the par 3s. In my two best career rounds at that course (a pair of 71s) I hit exactly one wood in the entire round. In the recent round I couldn't achieve the same distance hitting Driver from the Whites.

As an experiment last season at my home course in Vermont, I moved up one set of tees and managed to shoot my age once (74 at age 76) but that round was a fluke. I've moved back to the Whites this year and will try to recapture lost skill.

My regular golf partner is a past president of the PGA of America and president of the Ryder Cup. A couple of years ago we walked up the 17th tee and I said, "This has been a boring round. Why don't you put it in the cup?" Incredibly he did! He calmly announced that it was his 7th ace. I told him that collectively he and I now had 7. :roflmao: He has since had another one and a double eagle and I'm still waiting for my first ace.

Attachments

• club champion  at srgc.jpg
    club champion at srgc.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 27

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oeh nice, anyone watching Rahm, Finau and Bhatia ripping it up at the moment?

With regards to my own golf game, working on some swing changes at the moment!

@Philpug, that 72 strokes idea is actually absolutely genius!! I've never heard of that.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I will take a mulligan when I hit a shot that I know is not characteristic

Does that characteristic thing work both ways? That is, if you rip a fairway wood that flies straight, true and 30 yards further than usual, do you replay it? :P

thats 72?

Good thinking.

Up there with only taking one golf ball - if lost then time to head home.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I did play almost every day about 10yrs ago, then got busy at work, got a dog- she became my morning evening walks instead of golf. Last year I got invited to a charity golf tourney and did surprisingly well, several of my shots were the best in our 4-some. This summer, I hope to play more, I usually walk the back nine at @Nick Stoner golf course in Caroga- here's a photo tour https://townofcaroga.com/golf/golftour.htm it's a beautiful course, late in day the deer come out on the course.. It is the hardest easiest game I've ever played--- I do drive well- no one has to know who's head I'm smashing LOL... FORE!

patmoore

Skier
Golf is always enjoyable but when this is your home course it's spectacular.

Attachments

• 3-foliage (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    3-foliage (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 9th hole from the black tees (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    9th hole from the black tees (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    413 KB · Views: 10
  • butterfly and golf ball (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    butterfly and golf ball (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 10
  • FullSizeRender (1) (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1) (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 11
  • ovgc carts outside darker (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    ovgc carts outside darker (2020_06_09 09_43_06 UTC).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 8th hole all four seasons (2020_07_01 11_51_00 UTC).jpg
    8th hole all four seasons (2020_07_01 11_51_00 UTC).jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 16

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
We had our Ski Hall of Fame Charity Tournerment there, but the mountain course.
If you are out that way with your sticks again go play over at Soldiers Hollow state park. Both courses there are very impressive. The Silver Course will test your game. The Gold Course will send you home early, based on your 72 stroke program.
Kudos to Utah's state owned courses. Played 5 or 6 all great.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you are out that way with your sticks again go play over at Soldiers Hollow state park. Both courses there are very impressive. The Silver Course will test your game. The Gold Course will send you home early, based on your 72 stroke program.
Kudos to Utah's state owned courses. Played 5 or 6 all great.
We will be back in September for another event, not at Wasatch though. We will keep you posted.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Recently started playing again after a long hiatus (kids, job). I'm on 9 hole short executive courses. Definitely don't have the game for longer. It's a nice once weekly respite from my primary sport: tennis.

patmoore

Skier
The photos were taken at the former Okemo Valley Golf Club (now Fox Run) in Ludlow, VT. The shot of the guy in the red shirt is the 17th hole. Happily I live within a half mile of the course. Here's a drone shot I took of the course. Okemo Mountain is to the right.

Attachments

• fox run from the drone.jpg
    fox run from the drone.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 15

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did one season of lessons in a women’s group two years ago. Then last year I got a new puppy and didn’t play at all. Just started going back to lessons a couple of weeks ago, and I’m looking forward to hopefully making some progress this season. When I stopped I had been enjoying going to a par 3 executive course local to me, but wasn’t feeling ready for real courses (outside of lessons) because my long game really sucks. So working on that piece is important to me.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I did one season of lessons in a women’s group two years ago. Then last year I got a new puppy and didn’t play at all. Just started going back to lessons a couple of weeks ago, and I’m looking forward to hopefully making some progress this season. When I stopped I had been enjoying going to a par 3 executive course local to me, but wasn’t feeling ready for real courses (outside of lessons) because my long game really sucks. So working on that piece is important to me.
Don't be too hard on your long game. Put in prospective, there are 18 holes on most par 72 courses. 'Regulation' on a hole evolves putting twice X 18 holes = 36 strokes putting. Scoring on a golf course happens from inside of 100 yards.

Bottom line; golf and skiing are recreation. It is all about the grins and happy factor. If you are good at either it is just a bonus.

Sponsor

Staff online