• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Further proof that 2020 is the year of !!!!ed-upidness. Lance Stroll gets the pole. Hey , that rhymes :geek:

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Pretty wild to see the performance of the cars ebb and flow. Hero to Zero and back again.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
There's no way you lose 65 pounds and have your boots feel the same. The boots will feel stiffer than they used to. If you like softer flex boots, it might be time to go shopping.
What a drive from Lewis!
:golfclap:
Like him or dislike him (I am absolutely in the former camp) he is a brilliant driver. That had to be one of his best races ever.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Like him or dislike him (I am absolutely in the former camp) he is a brilliant driver. That had to be one of his best races ever.

And a definite low point for Bottas.

Great drive by Perez - how does he not have a ride for next year?

Last edited:

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I keep asking myself the same thing. IMHO Red Bull is crazing for keeping Albon when they could have Perez. Maybe Max is happier not having someone who can challenge him.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No one likes Vettel's drive?

I keep asking myself the same thing. IMHO Red Bull is crazing for keeping Albon when they could have Perez. Maybe Max is happier not having someone who can challenge him.

I think Albon may actually have saved his seat this weekend. Not so sure he will continue strong in Bahrain tho. And , in the back of my head, Yas Marina plays a bit like Monza :geek::geek::geek:

Last edited:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Holy crap is right; how did Grosjean ever get out of that as well as he did? He was very lucky that safety crew was as close as it was.
Followed by a pink rollover.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
That was a long five minutes or so. I was sure he was a goner. Sooooo happy and amazed he walked away from that.

scott43

Skier
56g's. And the halo saved a Koinigg situation possibly. You know they look a sight but can't argue that the halo does work. Last big one like that I can think of is Kubica in Montreal..

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
That was the most insane crash I've ever seen. Really lucky he didn't have a broken leg or something. No way he would have gotten out alive. And remember he was one of the drivers that opposed halo. It looked like it was the halo itself that pried open the two layers of Armco. I think it's safe to say he would have been decapitated otherwise.

I went for a hike and TiVo'd the race that means that with the long delay, my race cut out at lap 20 or so. It was a good race up to that point. Nice points haul for Norris. I was hoping Russel would be able to get a point. He was up there some of the time. Ferrari was in total no-mans land. Alfa and Haas of course were even worse.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holy crap is right; how did Grosjean ever get out of that as well as he did? He was very lucky that safety crew was as close as it was.
Followed by a pink rollover.
Not discount the safety crew as they were johnny on the spot indeed; but I give Grosjean majority credit as that was almost a self-rescue.

But for him to even self-rescue, I give my kudos to all the safety engineers in the labs/factory in front of their computers; for the layers of safety systems designed "just in case", cutting edge materials and designs; the preparation, training and of course some luck; that led to keep him relatively uninjured and conscious in the survival cell; so he could get himself out and to the safety team.

If he was knocked out and unable to self rescue, there is little I think the safety crew could have done to produce similar results even if they were there even more instantly. The extinguishers seemed relatively ineffective to the intensity of the initial fire. So despite their speed, I doubt they would've been able to get a sack of potatoes out of that inferno, let alone a full grown adult, until after it was well cooked.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Thank Jackie Stewart and Bernie Ecclestone... Sid Watkins.. I still can't understand why fuel cells weren't used until the '70s. They'd been used in aircraft since before WW2. Insanity..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online