• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2022

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of getting rid of the MGU-H?

It kinda feels like humanity - or humanity's non-military engineering pinnacle anyway- is just giving up on the idea of electrical and electronic enhancement of internal combustion inflow and outflow. It definitely feels like, if they do this, F1 is just a placeholder for Formula E to catch up to ...and surpass.

Think about it this way: you're in a regular civilian vehicle with both a turbo (the MGU-H part) engine and a hybrid (MGU-K) motor system. You merge onto a fast-moving highway that doesn't really have many slow-downs or traffic snarls. I know, I know, rare these days, but let's say you do. At this point the hybrid portion isn't doing much to help you get through the next hour(s) of highway driving. All that energy recovery and electrical assistance is essentially dead weight unless the car is close to being 100% electric over its whole range. But the turbo (MGU-H) can still do wonders - for efficiency and driving fun both. And that is the part that's being ditched by F1. Because budgets and because VAG don't want to spend money on developing theirs.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I read, now and again, mfg's saying all their cars will be electric by such and such a date. So I dunno..maybe the MGU-H is wasted tech...there won't be any heat to recover when you have no ICE to start with. As for Formula E..well..yeah. F1 has always had a money issue.. They need mfg's to build engines..or else it risks being a spec series. The E road is probably the future. Formula E is very low-cost compared to F1. Will people have an interest in Ferrari's electric powertrain vs Mercedes electric powertrain? That's a good question and I must recuse myself because I like ICEs. I'm not very good at predicting this type of human behaviour..I thought soccer aka football would never catch on in North America..turns out I was wrong... :huh:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So. No one in this thread is actually going to Miami?
Bad planning. I'm in Sarasota and kid is flying in. Never paid attention to when they where in Miami until yesterday. I guess we will make sure to hit Vegas next year instead.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have my eye on Monza - might be heading there for free due to a company thing

In the meantime, it might only be FP1 but Mercedes might have figured out how to unlock their car a bit. FP1 had LeClerc, Russell, Verstappen as the top 3; Hamilton back in 8th but his final lap was compromised, the track was rubbering in, and he was in the mix earlier. FP2 should give an indicator as to whether this is a real thing or a fuel load artefact

scott43

Skier
It's a low downforce track so probably it will conceal the MB issues to some degree. Doesn't matter, a win is a win. The track looks better than I thought. Fast work.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not sure that that follows tbh. The enormous majority of the downforce, and therefore the porpoising, is floor based - and the rule of floor based downforce is that the faster you go, the faster you can go - it's almost the exact opposite of upper body downforce. Mercedes issues with pace are that they have so much porpoising they have to run the car higher, losing floor downforce, and therefore replacing it with high drag upper body downforce. Even then the porpoising is bad, to the point that the drivers couldn't keep the pedal to the floor at Imola at the end of the straight becuase it was so uncomfortable.

So, the theory goes, they've reduced the porpoising enough to lower the ride height, enabling them to strip out the wing. Then you allow for it being a low wing circuit, but that's a gain everyone gets.

They're still bouncing a lot, but it's far more manageable.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interview with Andretti was interesting. Claims to have the engine, the funding etc all in place for 2024. The challenge is the teams - who are running to the current Concorde agreement (and prize money) up till the end of the 2025 season. Unless F1 can pony up enough extra prize money/funding to allow for the entrance of an additional team (buy the other teams off) then I don't see them getting in till 2026

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Out of interest, what coverage are you US guys getting? When I've seen F1 on TV in Canada it's been the British Sky Sports broadcast - is that the same for the US, or do you have a complete US commentary and presentation team?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Out of interest, what coverage are you US guys getting? When I've seen F1 on TV in Canada it's been the British Sky Sports broadcast - is that the same for the US, or do you have a complete US commentary and presentation team?
I'm getting it pretty much on Peacock, much like following World Cup Ski Racing.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah we have Sky, and I love Brundle. When he narrates the onboards it is just great.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Martin Brundle all at sea in the grid walk :roflmao:Barely recognises a single person out there, can't find a driver for love nor money................

Got about10 words out of a Williams sister, which is the first time in I don't know how many attempts

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Amazing how much an extra two seconds in the pits ended up costing Lando. He shouldn't have been anywhere near Gasly.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Brundle's gone viral with his grid walk neediness/cluelessness which has entertained both Mahomes and Paolo

Given the "why the feck are you still here" treatment by Venus, some pumped up gibberish by DJ Khaled and an escape act by Beckham

scott43

Skier
Yeah the Brundle Fail has been ongoing for years. He must hate it. Probably just remembers the million quid he's getting and sucks it up....

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wish they did the after race interviews with the same crew. I hate the US interviewers.