• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Forward mount for short BSL?

updown

Booting up
Skier
Lightweight 5.1ft/113 lb, low advanced woman looking for an advice on the mount point. My BSL is 265. Skis Volkl Yumi 154 cm. I'm occasionally (ahem) in a back seat. Would forward mount be beneficial? If so, how much? Appreciate your input.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Out of left field comes an old ski tech...back seat issues sound like one of a couple of things (how's that for commitment)
1. Ramp angle of your bindings.
2. Not being aligned, and posted in your ski boots.
3. There is a thought that the different bone/hip structure of a woman necessitates some compensation of mounting points but I'd look into the first two before the last one.
4. Find a good boot fitter who can build you proper custom foot beds and check you for those alignment issue in #2.

that's all for now...back to my time warp...olddogger out

TS
U

updown

Booting up
Skier
Oh yes, I'd love to discuss 1, 2, and 4 in the very near future, but I forgot to add that Yumis are NEW skis about to be mounted with yet to be purchased bindings. I have up to 3 drills right? So I wanted to get some opinions at this esteemed place about mount recommendation for the lightweight/short BSL women specifically. Or should I buy system/demo bindings and play with them? If so which ones, please?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you demo the Yumis, and if so, where were the bindings set? As a fellow short BSLer (I WAS a 265, recently moved to a 273) I understand and HAVE been told by one of our local manufacturers reps that yes, they do tend to set the bindings a cm forward for those of us with short BSLs. But if you've never felt the need to do so before, then I wouldn't mess with it. That being said, 1cm isn't THAT much of a difference if you went that route. I'm actually going through this very conversation about some new skis I'm getting today or tomorrow. I demoed them 3 times, though, and as far as I know, they were set at center, so that's where I'll mount them. I'm beginning to think that skis with a LOT of early rise/rocker can be easier for us short BSLers to ski mounted forward, but if they have minimal rocker (which I believe the Yumis do) then it isn't as much of an issue.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@RickyG brings up some very good points. With a small boot, delta (is the boot to binding, ramp is in the boot, for clarification, thats @bud heishman) is even more important to be aware of. I would suggest staying as neutral as possible. A demo binding is an option, take a look at the Tyrolia Attack 13 (NOT the 11) demo, is skis very well and has minimum delta. As far as hard mount bindings, avoid the Marker Squire, although it is light weight, it is a bear to get into with a smaller boot, if you must get a Marker, the M11.0 would be my suggestion. The Salomon Warden 11 is another lighter choice.

What boot are you in too? Check the forward lean in them and the ramp. Is there a rear spoiler in the boot? if so, try skiing with it out.

TS
U

updown

Booting up
Skier
@AmyPJ - Thank you, I've read your post with great interest because I've been dealing with too stiff Kenjas myself...frustrating. Wish you luck with the new setup!
I left a msg with the Outdoor Divas who I demoed Yumis with at Loveland about the binding setting. They used Solomon not sure what model.

@Philpug. I've read @bud heishman article - really clarifies the jargon. I have Solomon XMax 90 (bootfitter, custom beds, adjustments saga) that I'll post about later because I still have issues. Appreciate the advice on bindings. Understand Attack 11 has higher delta than 13. As of now I can't find demo bindings. Live close to Denver. BTW I have Solomon Z10 on my Kenjas.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ - Thank you, I've read your post with great interest because I've been dealing with too stiff Kenjas myself...frustrating. Wish you luck with the new setup!
I left a msg with the Outdoor Divas who I demoed Yumis with at Loveland about the binding setting. They used Solomon not sure what model.

@Philpug. I've read @bud heishman article - really clarifies the jargon. I have Solomon XMax 90 (bootfitter, custom beds, adjustments saga) that I'll post about later because I still have issues. Appreciate the advice on bindings. Understand Attack 11 has higher delta than 13. As of now I can't find demo bindings. Live close to Denver. BTW I have Solomon Z10 on my Kenjas.
So, you did demo the Yumis--good! I skied several skis with the demo Warden 11s on them last week, and they felt nice and flat as far as delta goes. Good choice!

TS
U

updown

Booting up
Skier
Yes I did. On several occasions as a matter of fact. A tech guy from the Outdoor Divas got back to me saying the same things as you. The Yumis are not heavily rockered,so they had demo bindings set at manufacturer's recommended point.

@Philpug Just took a break from reading an interesting 'Binding ramp angle differences' thread. Lots of good info there. Now I'm curious about Salomon Warden 11 bindings that you'd recommended. Do you know their stand height differential?https://forum.pugski.com/threads/binding-ramp-angle-differences.3078/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes I did. On several occasions as a matter of fact. A tech guy from the Outdoor Divas got back to me saying the same things as you. The Yumis are not heavily rockered,so they had demo bindings set at manufacturer's recommended point.

@Philpug Just took a break from reading an interesting 'Binding ramp angle differences' thread. Lots of good info there. Now I'm curious about Salomon Warden 11 bindings that you'd recommended. Do you know their stand height differential?
I don't have the information handy, nor the binding.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

@Philpug Just took a break from reading an interesting 'Binding ramp angle differences' thread. Lots of good info there. Now I'm curious about Salomon Warden 11 bindings that you'd recommended. Do you know their stand height differential?
Updown, several of the skis I tested last week were mounted with Warden 11s and I did not notice a big issue with the angle on them. And trust me, I notice if there is one! I was even grousing (ask Phil this) that the Attack 13s felt a bit heel-high.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Good morning all, I really want you all to think of me as the "Rip-Van Winkle" of the alpine ski world. I was very deeply involved for 30 years and then as my left knee became more useless and when I'd go into ski shops I'd recognize less and less of what I saw I became less and less engaged. Well with the total replacement of me bad knee and a renewed passion of this sport I so so love coming up for air has really left me confused with some of the newest terms. So what the heck is BSL? Boot sole length? Some ratio of boot to leg length? I need a new acronym cheat sheet.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good morning all, I really want you all to think of me as the "Rip-Van Winkle" of the alpine ski world. I was very deeply involved for 30 years and then as my left knee became more useless and when I'd go into ski shops I'd recognize less and less of what I saw I became less and less engaged. Well with the total replacement of me bad knee and a renewed passion of this sport I so so love coming up for air has really left me confused with some of the newest terms. So what the heck is BSL? Boot sole length? Some ratio of boot to leg length? I need a new acronym cheat sheet.
Hi Ricky! Yes, BSL is boot sole length. Welcome back! I hope you've discovered the new ski technology makes skiing a whole lot easier!

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Thank you Amy so lets take my updated knowledge and reflected it back on my previous experiences. Well before center boot sole to some sidewall mark we'd measure the tail to tip of the ski, find the middle and for SL one cm ahead, GS and "combi" on center. The alternate was to (and this wouldn't work at all with some of the skis I see today) put the skis base to base without the camber being squeezed out place a note card in the tip and mark how far the card slips into the space, now close the ski (remove the camber) and mark how far the card slips down. Do the same for the tail, then measure the distance between the tip marks (find 1/2 that distance), do the same at the tail. Then from those mid points (tip and tail) measure that difference, mark the ski and lastly locate the metatarsal head in the ski boot and place that point on the center mark you placed on the ski. Honestly even when given all the "factory marks" I still find I like 1 cm forward on what I mount for myself. Now...how are you now using the BSL (which now I know doesn't mean British Sign Language) for how you'd place the center or leading edge of the boot for mounting purposes?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you Amy so lets take my updated knowledge and reflected it back on my previous experiences. Well before center boot sole to some sidewall mark we'd measure the tail to tip of the ski, find the middle and for SL one cm ahead, GS and "combi" on center. The alternate was to (and this wouldn't work at all with some of the skis I see today) put the skis base to base without the camber being squeezed out place a note card in the tip and mark how far the card slips into the space, now close the ski (remove the camber) and mark how far the card slips down. Do the same for the tail, then measure the distance between the tip marks (find 1/2 that distance), do the same at the tail. Then from those mid points (tip and tail) measure that difference, mark the ski and lastly locate the metatarsal head in the ski boot and place that point on the center mark you placed on the ski. Honestly even when given all the "factory marks" I still find I like 1 cm forward on what I mount for myself. Now...how are you now using the BSL (which now I know doesn't mean British Sign Language) for how you'd place the center or leading edge of the boot for mounting purposes?
Are you asking how I determine where to mount my bindings? If so, the manufacturers all have "recommended" mount points which are marked on the sides of the skis. The boots have a corresponding mark on them. The two should line up. But, as you stated, some of us prefer to have our bindings mounted a bit in front of that line, and some prefer it a bit behind. And some vary depending on how the skis ski.

Does that answer your question?

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Amy...I'm being a little bit of an old school curmudgeon it seems the more things change the more they stay the same. It may of been 20 years since I plied my trade in a ski shop, so I was expanding the acromion BSL into something more important than just the length of the boot soul. So I feel better that I'm not so far behind the curve that I need a see eye dog to get back.
Thank you...maybe next year when I get my new bionic left knee I can join back in on the ski testing...
Rick G. (the Olddogger)

TS
U

updown

Booting up
Skier
Three days at Snowmass on soft groomers one day then crunchy the next plus some bumps hard on top with overblown snow in between I'm happy to report that the Yumis with Warden 11 bindings mounted +1 brought back almost forgotten fun. I can live with a significant 'feedback' on frozen cookies. Now to take them on some powder...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Three days at Snowmass on soft groomers one day then crunchy the next plus some bumps hard on top with overblown snow in between I'm happy to report that the Yumis with Warden 11 bindings mounted +1 brought back almost forgotten fun. I can live with a significant 'feedback' on frozen cookies. Now to take them on some powder...
:yahoo: