• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Forward pressure indicator range

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Quite often, on a demo style binding (Marker FDT for example), one size adjustment will be in range but on the low end. Moving the toe or heel one click will also be in the range of the indicator but on the high end. Is there a preference or a reason to go with one over the other?

Thanks

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Quite often, on a demo style binding (Marker FDT for example), one size adjustment will be in range but on the low end. Moving the toe or heel one click will also be in the range of the indicator but on the high end. Is there a preference or a reason to go with one over the other?

Thanks
I was hoping that an industry insider would respond with a cut and dry opinion? I have also pondered the same question. My approach with system bindings has been to evaluate the forward pressure indicator with me ON the ski(weighted/decambered). Is this reasonable logic?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was hoping that an industry insider would respond with a cut and dry opinion? I have also pondered the same question. My approach with system bindings has been to evaluate the forward pressure indicator with me ON the ski(weighted/decambered). Is this reasonable logic?
Sure.. I was going to type a bunch of stuff on how I used to do it..adult vs kid..boot slop vs no boot slop... Really though, the procedure is you put the boot in and check the preload. Simple as that. You try for the middle of the range, but it's a range. So as long as you're in the range, you're good to go. If you're at the extreme high or low and you have an alternative to get you closer to the middle, do that. But as I say, if you're in the range, you're good.

wildman5357

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
new to forum, not sure this is the place to ask this - i need to know how to set the Forward Pressure on MARKER MRR TWINCAM RACING bindings. see pic
thanks
MARKER_MRR E.jpg

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
See the two little raised lines on either side of the red binding housing near the top of the exposed springs? The black 'hat' on top of the spring should be between those. Adjust using the screw on top of the spring. Ideally the binding should be in a dumpster while you do this, and then it should stay there but... it's your body.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When I worked as a rental tech I would choose the setting that was highest forward pressure while still in the correct range, but I have no data to to confirm or deny if that is the best possible choice.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spring Preload takes out the initial component slack inherent in any mechanical system. Bottom end is the minimum to ensure slack is removed ensuring potential calibration is where it should be, upper end is the maximum required and starts getting close to where potential calibration may be effected.

So will a binding function outside these settings, yes...but......are you willing to risk you health and safety on a but!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If you consider that maximum forward pressure (Max FP) means that your binding is more likely to max out in heel movement during decambering the ski, then you may wish to consider. I discuss a related issue below. Max FP allows the ski to handle more rebound from decambering but I truly think in this day of extreme carving, erring on minimum FP (Min FP) instead might be more appropriate. Particularly with skis mounted flat as a floating plate reduces the amount that the binding heel to toe distance decreases during the same decambering than a flat mounted binding.

Personal observation: I had an interesting situation during the past few days with a Salomon Warden 13 demo binding. I chose the maximum forward pressure but noticed some click-y feelings in the binding when I went from full decambered in a tight carve to neutral. I adjusted the binding to have less forward pressure, but still in the range (only two positions would be in range: max FP or almost min FP) and the click-y-ness was gone. I think the decambering may have approached the limits of heel movement to accommodate the flexing and when released it generated a clicking sensation (I felt and heard it) as it relaxed.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Years ago, I had a pair of marker twin-cams (M46 IIRC) release when I decided to ski a short cut through a ditch rather than descend and take the lift back up to get to a half pipe. The skis just bent so much that the binding could not accommodate the boot at the shortened chord length and spat the boots out. Highest FP is not always the best solution.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Years ago, I had a pair of marker twin-cams (M46 IIRC) release when I decided to ski a short cut through a ditch rather than descend and take the lift back up to get to a half pipe. The skis just bent so much that the binding could not accommodate the boot at the shortened chord length and spat the boots out. Highest FP is not always the best solution.
Precisely.

Sponsor

Staff online