• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided a couple weeks to finally submit an application to foster dogs. I decided to apply with RezDawg Rescue who rescues from the Four Corners area, primarily from reservations. Having lived in NM for years it captured my heart. Today I picked up my first foster. His official name is Ronnie but it is changing to Hatch. He was deemed a flight risk so transferred directly into my car in a crate for the trip home. When I got him home he was totally freaked out. I’ve had him since about 5:15 and he’s made huge progress including wanting to kiss me nonstop although other people and dogs freak him out.

0AE45182-30E0-45A5-A5A5-6C0D03000EB6.jpeg
D5A3E05F-02C4-4B8A-B7F8-119BE0682D9D.jpeg
FC6C77F6-600B-4291-9578-1BA120C4A0E4.jpeg
876052B1-1169-42EC-B381-406FD9F18AE2.jpeg
3CC53230-6C74-4690-A438-CF25F5CF86C9.jpeg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Awww, what a sweetie! How old is he? And what breed? My first impression was that he looks young and may be a mix of lab and heeler or border collie or Aussie.

Does the rescue already have leads for permanent homes? I ask because I see posts on Next Door of families looking for pets.

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels good to have a dog in your home. And congratulations to Hatch ... he won big, life-changing big, in the lottery! :wag:

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awww, what a sweetie! How old is he? And what breed? My first impression was that he looks young and may be a mix of lab and heeler or border collie or Aussie.

Does the rescue already have leads for permanent homes? I ask because I see posts on Next Door of families looking for pets.

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels good to have a dog in your home. And congratulations to Hatch ... he won big, life-changing big, in the lottery! :wag:

He is about 1 year old. He’s a border collie mix but because he was a trapped stray we don’t know much. I’ll be doing a lot of the marketing but when he’s ready he’ll go through the rescue then I get to decide who gets to be his forever family.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If a mod wanted to fix my typo in the title I would appreciate it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sure you know that rescues like this need some help with anxiety. Gently introducing him to people and other dogs that aren't reactive will be good.
I think you followed some of the work we did with Gypsy on the agility course around other dogs so she had to concentrate on a task instead of the other dog. So good for her.
Love...lots of love, which you have plenty of to give.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He has toys and plays a bit but mostly he goes between sleeping next to me or on the floor near me. We’ve done 8 walks so far today. Sadly, he puked up a plastic bag overnight but he still seems to be happy, eating/drinking etc. Also sad, that mark under his left eye is a scar. At one point today I told him no and tugged on his leash and he cowered so I think he was abused. I immediately stopped and gave him lots of love so I think he realized pretty quickly that I wasn’t going to hurt him but my heart broke.

C9839186-393E-4535-A0B6-9D3F28FA8512.jpeg
F07B02AF-9892-4E71-AA6D-880281FE4944.jpeg
91EC4B9A-816F-4EF6-98BE-0514751FF3EE.jpeg

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This boy. He will let me manhandle any part of this body with absolutely no reaction. He’s dealt well with his deworming medication. He’s already learned that to get a treat he needs to sit. We’re working on the begging and trying to steal my food and seeing progress. I accidentally left my front door open after a walk this evening and he didn’t even try to leave. He seems to be housebroken after only a couple accidents early on. Our only major issues are crying for about 30 minutes when going in the crate and the fear of other dogs and people.
C5517B3D-95A6-45CE-B9D4-A235E093CF80.jpeg
28B2C2B8-1F3A-4A63-8B31-8D1A27BB4401.jpeg
F998E444-35F9-4445-A9A4-0F4EDBA8B1EA.jpeg

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, he seems to be trying to prove me wrong or I’ve found the magic combination. Lick mat with frozen canned food In crate while I’m still near. Frozen Kong with canned food and treats when I head toward bed. Alexa playing classical music. Not a peep. :golfclap:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly, he puked up a plastic bag overnight but he still seems to be happy,
There has to be a story here. :popcorn:

Our story from early days with Gypsy.
For starters, Gypsy is taller than Ziggy was. She can stretch her neck up and her nose is at counter height.

We would save corn cobs for the Minks' chickens, and one night we bagged the cobs and layed them on the counter, must have forgotten to put them in the freezer.
The next morning I noticed a corner of a plastic bag poking out from under the blanket on her dog bed. It was the bag with the corn cobs in it. She somehow reached them on the kitchen counter and buried them under her blanket.
When I asked her about it, she had a very innocent look on her face.

*I'm really glad hatch found a loving foster in you. Be careful, it may be hard to give her up.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a friend who thinks she might want to foster dogs. Knowing her well, I keep warning her she may have trouble giving a new dog up once she brings the first one into the house and starts being a loving caregiver. She's thinking about that, and wondering if she should simply get a dog for herself. A chainsaw accident (stuck in her shoulder) has put both options on hold.

@coskigirl, best of luck keeping the fostering going. It's a very, very good thing to do.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
We just got a little rescue cat from our local humane society.
She was found at a trailer park in Kentucky, picked up by some RVers, dropped off in Michigan and my wife fell in love with her.
Four locations in two months sounds a bit traumatic but she doesn't show it.
She moved in, sniffed around and now acts like she owns the place.
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Lily the Cat.
Lily.jpg

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There has to be a story here. :popcorn:

Our story from early days with Gypsy.
For starters, Gypsy is taller than Ziggy was. She can stretch her neck up and her nose is at counter height.

We would save corn cobs for the Minks' chickens, and one night we bagged the cobs and layed them on the counter, must have forgotten to put them in the freezer.
The next morning I noticed a corner of a plastic bag poking out from under the blanket on her dog bed. It was the bag with the corn cobs in it. She somehow reached them on the kitchen counter and buried them under her blanket.
When I asked her about it, she had a very innocent look on her face.

*I'm really glad hatch found a loving foster in you. Be careful, it may be hard to give her up.

Since I know he didn't get it in my home and it's unlikely he got it in the shelter or transport our best guess is there was some food in the plastic bag and he managed to eat the bag in trying to get the food. He tries to eat treats in my pockets through the material as well.

I have a friend who thinks she might want to foster dogs. Knowing her well, I keep warning her she may have trouble giving a new dog up once she brings the first one into the house and starts being a loving caregiver. She's thinking about that, and wondering if she should simply get a dog for herself. A chainsaw accident (stuck in her shoulder) has put both options on hold.

@coskigirl, best of luck keeping the fostering going. It's a very, very good thing to do.

OMG! That's crazy. I'm glad she will recover.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Is there a fostering plan for Hatch? Are there goals he needs to reach before he is adoptable? I'm thinking things such as health goals (neutering, innoculations, etc) or behavioral goals (crate training, housebreaking, socializing) or is it to give him time to acclimate to a home environment and you the chance to test him and learn him so you can find the best permanent match for him?

Looks like he has already excelled in Couch Training!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a fostering plan for Hatch? Are there goals he needs to reach before he is adoptable? I'm thinking things such as health goals (neutering, innoculations, etc) or behavioral goals (crate training, housebreaking, socializing) or is it to give him time to acclimate to a home environment and you the chance to test him and learn him so you can find the best permanent match for him?

Looks like he has already excelled in Couch Training!

Yes. Neutering and microchipping happens tomorrow. Vaccinations happened before he was transported. We also wait at least 7 days so that any hidden illnesses like parvo or distemper have a chance to show. He is housebroken. Behavioral we want him crate trained, not stealing my food while I eat (he hasn't been successful but I'm working on breaking the habit of trying,) and on his way to being okay with other people and dogs. Me getting to know him is definitely part of it.

Today he is definitely decompressing and having a blast in between napping and dreaming next to me while I work. He loved when I got on the ground to dig a toy out from under the sofa and he came in for kisses which made me laugh. That sent him off in zoomies around my sofa and kiss attacks on me each time he passed. He also had his first dog meet today. My neighbor has a mastiff named Lindy that is the most gentle giant I've ever met. They sniffed each other and tail wagged so it was a good first meeting. Before we left they both got a treat and there were no issues there.