• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What happened with the people who were looking for a meet and greet?

We did meet them yesterday and I think they’d be a great home for her but she is clearly bonded to me and I didn’t know how to address that with them and I think they are concerned with her running ability. I’ve since talked to my foster parent mentor about how to address the bonding with me and emailed them but haven’t heard back so I think they are out.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Looks like her furever home may be in prison!!

We did meet them yesterday and I think they’d be a great home for her but she is clearly bonded to me .....
This happens often and maybe you more than she? Hard part on fostering is letting em go especially when they take to you. It's typical for the pooch to bond quickly to whomever is caring for them I'd lean and hope this the case for Belle.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@coskigirl,

The rescue I work with just this year required fosters and volunteers to take some training at "Maggies" (https://university.maddiesfund.org/)

They have some good videos that go over basics and others with some tips, tricks, etc

I believe one can do it for free but in any case, I still found some useful tips and tricks either new or forgotten.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like her furever home may be in prison!!

This happens often and maybe you more than she? Hard part on fostering is letting em go especially when they take to you. It's typical for the pooch to bond quickly to whomever is caring for them I'd lean and hope this the case for Belle.

@coskigirl,

The rescue I work with just this year required fosters and volunteers to take some training at "Maggies" (https://university.maddiesfund.org/)

They have some good videos that go over basics and others with some tips, tricks, etc

I believe one can do it for free but in any case, I still found some useful tips and tricks either new or forgotten.

That tag is actually livestock ear tag!

I'm actually not worried about how Belle will do bonding with someone else nor am I worried about not being able to let her go. The issue here was the potential adopters didn't get to see her personality and she was clearly worried when I let them take her to where she couldn't see me. What I should have done is told the potential adopters to watch how she interacts with me because she will surely have that bond with them within a few weeks as well.

I'll take a look at that site when I have some spare time. Always good to learn more tips and tricks.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
What I should have done is told the potential adopters to watch how she interacts with me because she will surely have that bond with them within a few weeks as well.
I was surprised they didn't think in those terms themselves. I'd be more alarmed if a dog didn't bond with a foster family. And they would definitely see Belle's personality better thru your interactions with her than thru their own.

Huh, maybe they don't deserve her!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was surprised they didn't think in those terms themselves. I'd be more alarmed if a dog didn't bond with a foster family. And they would definitely see Belle's personality better thru your interactions with her than thru their own.

Huh, maybe they don't deserve her!

In fairness, they also want a dog that will run 3-5 miles a day with them. I think with training she'd be great at it (we hiked 3.6 miles today) but I get that she's not the leggy body style that you generally think of for a running dog.

They are also dealing with a tragic loss of their previous dog just 2 weeks ago. That dog tangled with a mountain goat during a hike up Bierstadt. She was kicked off the mountain. The wife packed the dog out and took her to an emergency vet but her internal injuries were just too much and she died 7 hours after the incident. So horrific. I'd rather they make sure she's the right dog for them than adopt her just to fill a hole.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Her first Colorado hike today.

1630968598912.png

1630968635563.png

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everybody cross your fingers! My neighbor is putting in an application for Belle tonight. We are going on a walk together this weekend. If she adopts Belle will be in her new home Sunday or Monday AND they'll be neighbors so Ginsburg and I will see her all the time!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So sorry. Did they meet but the chemistry was bad?

They had already met. We saw her last night but she was over-stimulated from new human friend and wrestling with Ginsburg which made her way more mouthy/bitey than I’ve ever seen her. The adopter didn’t even ask me if this was typical. I guess if she can’t handle managing that she shouldn’t have her but ugh.

On top of that, someone who had committed to taking her and walking her in a major park to drum up interest threw up roadblocks on me today so that’s not happening. Plus I need to go to Santa Fe this week for my high school/college best friend’s mother’s funeral so I’ve been trying to coordinate temporary care for her.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
They had already met. We saw her last night but she was over-stimulated from new human friend and wrestling with Ginsburg which made her way more mouthy/bitey than I’ve ever seen her. The adopter didn’t even ask me if this was typical. I guess if she can’t handle managing that she shouldn’t have her but ugh.

On top of that, someone who had committed to taking her and walking her in a major park to drum up interest threw up roadblocks on me today so that’s not happening. Plus I need to go to Santa Fe this week for my high school/college best friend’s mother’s funeral so I’ve been trying to coordinate temporary care for her.
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I wonder how much is because she's a "bully" breed so a combo of ignorance and social pressure makes some people balk. If that is the case then these aren't the right people anyway, IMO.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I wonder how much is because she's a "bully" breed so a combo of ignorance and social pressure makes some people balk. If that is the case then these aren't the right people anyway, IMO.

It’s entirely possible. The sad thing is that her bitey is entirely play and love. I’m going to be stricter with her on that issue to discourage.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I actually wondered if Bad Belle had to show up because Good Belle didn't want to adopt that human.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, we have a signed and paid contract for Belle's adoption. Barring an unexpected change, I'll hand her off Thursday evening to her new mama. We're waiting until then because it gives them 4 full days of being at home together to bond and get used to new surroundings. I think this is a great fit and Belle will be spoiled and loved. The good news is that she's willing to do play dates with Ginsburg so hopefully we'll continue to see them.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this is a great fit and Belle will be spoiled and loved. The good news is that she's willing to do play dates with Ginsburg so hopefully we'll continue to see them.
and maybe, either may doggie sit if the other is off on a trip!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
How did Belle respond to the prospective family?

BTW, with that spelling (B-e-l-l-E), I would definitely have been calling her "Belly".

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How did Belle respond to the prospective family?

BTW, with that spelling (B-e-l-l-E), I would definitely have been calling her "Belly".

Well. She is always sweet with humans but it takes a bit for her to get lovey. However, she rolled over for belly rubs almost immediately. I have been known to call her BellyWelly but more often it’s been BelleBelle.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January