• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And 9 days ago, Hatch was freaked out by other dogs. So much progress in such a short time.

He reminds me of @RachelV's dog, Lark.

He's still hesitant but he just got to play with his favorite neighbor dog too. She's a big gentle mastiff and he runs circles around her but it's so good.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
... He reminds me of @RachelV's dog, Lark.

I've been thinking the same thing through this whole thread. :) Here's the Larkers:
toy1.jpg

Robyn, any idea what Hatch is? The rescue told us Lark was pit / lab, but an embark DNA test said pit / bulldog, which... just doesn't look right to me. Curious if the rescue knew anything about your guy.

I love that you're doing this and have been enjoying watching his progress!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, my! They do look like they could be brothers although Lark's face and chest appear a bit broader. The rescue thinks border collie and I think he's also got some shorthaired pointer in him. The trainer/owner of a nearby pet store that he has some jack russell terrier in him. There is no history on him because he was trapped as a stray. Which rescue did you go through @RachelV?

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whatever the parentage, Hatch is a good-looking doggie. I'd have a hard time giving him up after earning his love.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see that your rescue also comes from Indian reservations. :wag:

Poor Hatch had to go to the vet today to get looked at for some digestive issues. He was not a fan of them taking him away from me nor was he fan of the fact that he couldn't lick my face when they brought him back to me because it was covered with a mask.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so proud of Hatch! Tonight he met our neighbor dog and they became fast friends. Eventually, I had to release the leash so they could run circles around a tree at top speed chasing each other. The irony is, that dog's name is Milo. For those that don't know, the last animal I had was a cat named Milo that I lost 5.5 years ago after almost 18 years together. Then, we had another neighbor dog come out that was a little more rambunctious than Hatch was into so instead of cowering or getting aggressive he simply walked away. Quite literally, he turned and walked toward our home and kept looking at me like "Hey, mama, I'm done, can we go inside now?"

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just curious how this works. When (IF) this boys is put up for adoption, does he go back to a shelter or is he adopted out of your home?
Seems to a layperson that putting him back into a shelter setting could be really traumatic for the dog.
Not criticizing, just curious.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@coskigirl, you're going to give this new dog up when the time comes?

Sometimes I think no way. Then this morning he has tried to destroy my house while I'm in an online class for school and I think I need to post his profile immediately. He is currently leashed to my desk to stop that.

Just curious how this works. When (IF) this boys is put up for adoption, does he go back to a shelter or is he adopted out of your home?
Seems to a layperson that putting him back into a shelter setting could be really traumatic for the dog.
Not criticizing, just curious.

Absolutely not into a shelter. His profile will get published on our rescue's website and on Petstablished. Those interested will submit an application then I review those applications to see if I think they'll be a good match. If I think they would be then we do a meet and greet and I can decide at that time with input from people with more experience.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hatch is doing really well with other dogs now. Most he sees as a potential play buddy. Other humans are still questionable at best. The big thing we're dealing with is crate issues and separation anxiety. It's heartbreaking but we'll continue to work on it.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a HUGE morning happening here. After some study time in bed I needed breakfast. I left the bedroom and shut the gate in the hallway. I’ve unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, made eggs and hash brown, eaten, and am now relaxing in the living room. I’ve been in my bedroom twice in that time. Currently the gate is open but he’s still in the bedroom. This is ginormous for him and I’m super proud of him! This pic was taken when I opened the gate. He’s still there.
3693C488-24FA-4D6D-B2A4-5C1A53E6AA7F.jpeg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a HUGE morning happening here. After some study time in bed I needed breakfast. I left the bedroom and shut the gate in the hallway. I’ve unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, made eggs and hash brown, eaten, and am now relaxing in the living room. I’ve been in my bedroom twice in that time. Currently the gate is open but he’s still in the bedroom. This is ginormous for him and I’m super proud of him! This pic was taken when I opened the gate. He’s still there. View attachment 113086

Well, look at that cozy bed! I would stay right there, too.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He's currently having a play date with another dog and foster mom while I'm in class to help with his separation anxiety and timidity around other humans. I hurt my heart to walk away from him knowing that he might freak out but I had to. I'm getting video and photo updates which show that while he's not in love with the human, the dogs are BFFs.

Sponsor