• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Curious if the rescue knew anything about your guy.
This made me laugh.
When we adopted Gypsy they told us her history but very little of it added up.
Its like the dogs don't come with an owners manual, so you have to just figure it out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He's currently having a play date with another dog and foster mom while I'm in class to help with his separation anxiety and timidity around other humans. I hurt my heart to walk away from him knowing that he might freak out but I had to. I'm getting video and photo updates which show that while he's not in love with the human, the dogs are BFFs.
From our experience with separation anxiety, you're bonding with Hatch in a big way. If you do decide to adopt him out, he's going to need a transition so that he doesn't lack confidence in his new home. As far as he's concerned, you are his new human and your home is his home.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From our experience with separation anxiety, you're bonding with Hatch in a big way. If you do decide to adopt him out, he's going to need a transition so that he doesn't lack confidence in his new home. As far as he's concerned, you are his new human and your home is his home.

Yeah, this is a concern of mine as well but as it turns out he did pretty good with the new person once I was away. He was even giving her face kisses which is big for him. When I arrived to pick him up he actually didn't realize it was me for a moment and got timid with me. Once he smelled my had he realized what was up and was happy to see me.

So how did Hatch like the snow??? @coskigirl

He has mixed feelings right now but it is also super cold out so I think that's part of it. I'm hoping to take him to a park tomorrow when its a bit warmer but the snow hasn't melted yet to let him run in it more and see how he does. Sadly, if he is only tolerant of it I don't think he's the right dog for me as I want a winter adventure buddy. The good news is that his play date's mom is interested in adopting him if I don't so she will surely keep me posted on him and let me visit. He also loved her dog (another RezDawg) so he'd have a built in buddy which would probably help the separation anxiety as well. My heart hurts at the idea of letting him go but I also know that we both need the right match.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like you are making a decision as you write, @coskigirl.

I will probably make a decision by the end of this week either way. The good news is that the foster organization brings animals up every 2 weeks so if I were to adopt him out this week then I'd have about a 2 week break and could bring a new foster in as early as November 13.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The good news is that his play date's mom is interested in adopting him if I don't so she will surely keep me posted on him and let me visit. He also loved her dog (another RezDawg) so he'd have a built in buddy which would probably help the separation anxiety as well.
That sounds like just about the perfect solution right there. And you’d still be able to see him, too.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Sounds as if Hatch is at a really good place mentally/emotionally for being adopted. He has developed all this confidence and security with you and yet was able to transfer easily to his play date's home. No doubt it will be hard to let him go, but what a win for him.

You have done an amazing thing for Hatch, @coskigirl. Literally, life changing.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I bought him booties and a better jacket tonight. He actually didn’t mind the booties after the first few steps. He so so so mellow as I put them on him. The pet store owner is a very well-regarded trainer and she couldn’t believe how he let me put them on with no argument. Now I just need to figure out how to get them to stay on. We’re meeting up with a snow-loving friend Kylo tomorrow to see if he can clue Hatch into the fun. It’s entirely possible Hatch only knows misery in cold and snow. He does like to eat snow.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
very well-regarded trainer and she couldn’t believe how he let me put them on with no argument.
Curious, could you toss a blanket over Hatch and time how long it takes for him to escape from under it?

Honestly, I've never had a dog that would allow me to dress it up in anything let alone booties.
Then again my personal experience is limited to a Border Collie, a Golden x Border Collie mix, and two Russian Wolfhounds.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, he was napping next to me and I grabbed booties and put them on. No argument. He is a border collie mix. Saw neighbor Milo while we were out for our last walk and play ensued. Booties stayed on.

A42C511F-3C54-4692-AF2B-EF87004D95A4.jpeg
446D1551-F480-4BA6-8358-6C807B7D283F.jpeg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG, those booties look so wrong, LOL, :duck:

Border Collies like to run, herding dogs. Mine also loved to play in the snow, and oh did they ever shed their longish coat with the changing of the seasons. Suffice to say we didn't dare wear black very often if ever!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Border Collies like to run, herding dogs. Mine also loved to play in the snow, and oh did they ever shed their longish coat with the changing of the seasons. Suffice to say we didn't dare wear black very often if ever!

I tend to agree on the booties and hope he’ll adjust and not need them long term. Hatch is not a runner with me. I often drop his leash and let him lead. He’s never tried to get away from me and if I try to walk away he is quick on my heels. Might be different with other animals though. He is mixed with something shorthair so while he sheds some it’s not much at all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I was thinking about booties for Gypsy for hiking this summer because she will go and go and go... I was concerned about protecting her pads, but the vet and the adventure doggie store said that they cool off with their paws and booties are not recommended in the summer for dogs like Gypsy, just monitor activity and don't let her wreck her paws.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After discussions with the rescue I'm working with and based on the meltdown yesterday, we've decided that Hatch really needs another dog and a yard to help him with the separation anxiety he has. I am absolutely heartbroken over this but it's the right decision so that he can be happier in the long run. If you know of anyone in Colorado that would be interested please send them to his bio. https://petlover.petstablished.com/...0XvQuKGU0ZQO4pvaC76mskqgc-kRC8xhPyMzV7COajSYc

He will stay with me until I find the right forever family and I'll love every minute I get with him. He's a special dog who just needs to know that his human(s) will return and that he is not responsible for protecting them.

Eventually (after finals?) I will take on another foster. As hard as this is, I have loved having an animal in my home again and love knowing that I'm helping these poor, broken animals. Maybe it will get easier, maybe it won't but it's worth it. Some day the right one will come along and I will be its forever family. In the meantime, I'm now shopping for luxury vinyl plank flooring and will DIY the install throughout my condo. It's gonna be a different kind of project!

1604026081117.png

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
After discussions with the rescue I'm working with and based on the meltdown yesterday, we've decided that Hatch really needs another dog and a yard to help him with the separation anxiety he has. I am absolutely heartbroken over this but it's the right decision so that he can be happier in the long run. If you know of anyone in Colorado that would be interested please send them to his bio. https://petlover.petstablished.com/...0XvQuKGU0ZQO4pvaC76mskqgc-kRC8xhPyMzV7COajSYc

He will stay with me until I find the right forever family and I'll love every minute I get with him. He's a special dog who just needs to know that his human(s) will return and that he is not responsible for protecting them.

Eventually (after finals?) I will take on another foster. As hard as this is, I have loved having an animal in my home again and love knowing that I'm helping these poor, broken animals. Maybe it will get easier, maybe it won't but it's worth it. Some day the right one will come along and I will be its forever family. In the meantime, I'm now shopping for luxury vinyl plank flooring and will DIY the install throughout my condo. It's gonna be a different kind of project!

View attachment 113577
Locked in? Been there before and bought the carpet.

He seems like a great dog. I agree he needs a yard. We had a border that would do laps around the round above ground pool. Borders have tons of energy.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What about the foster mom/dog he had the play date with? I thought she was interested.

Hard decision, I'm sure, but you've already helped him along the way . . .

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 113577
My sister used to foster great danes. At one point, her husband bought a weimeraner that had horrible separation anxiety. Sophie could open crates so they put her in the laundry room. She ate a hole through the laundry room wall and ate a sofa cushion when they were at work. This is a dog that had a calm great dane in the home. Griffon, the dane, wasn't crated or shut in a room because he was so calm they never felt the need, but Sophie....whew
She got better and turned out to be a great dog but wow they had their challenges while she was a puppy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You cannot say that you didn't give 110%. You are going to be a great mom to the right rescue. Don't give up.

Sponsor

Staff online