• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have a lot of confidence in these tests for identifying the breed. When I last checked, there are tests on the market that can identify if your dog may have a tendency towards developing a particular disease (i.e., carries the genetic tendency) - except when someone is looking to use a particular dog for breeding, I didn't find this very helpful either. As for breed identification: all breeds are essentially crossbreeds if you go back in time far enough. I have had friends send out a test for fun when they knew the parents of their dog and got results that did not include the breed(s) of either dog. FWIW, I have also seen two purebred dogs (accidentally) breed and end up with puppies that looked like a third breed. My advise to people who asked me what breeds were in their new puppy: pick your two favorite breeds that look like your dog and call him/her that type of cross.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have a lot of confidence in these tests for identifying the breed. When I last checked, there are tests on the market that can identify if your dog may have a tendency towards developing a particular disease (i.e., carries the genetic tendency) - except when someone is looking to use a particular dog for breeding, I didn't find this very helpful either. As for breed identification: all breeds are essentially crossbreeds if you go back in time far enough. I have had friends send out a test for fun when they knew the parents of their dog and got results that did not include the breed(s) of either dog. FWIW, I have also seen two purebred dogs (accidentally) breed and end up with puppies that looked like a third breed. My advise to people who asked me what breeds were in their new puppy: pick your two favorite breeds that look like your dog and call him/her that type of cross.

I specifically did not want the medical information because I have enough to worry about with her already. If there are other issues hidden in there we'll deal with them as they come. This truly was a curiousity thing rather than anything I'll base decisions off of, other than just using them as clues for some behaviors. I'm guessing that improvements continue to be made to the technology so the accuracy is getting better but I also get that there are uncertainties.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just sharing a fun foster story that is happening today. We transport dogs (and cats) up every 2 weeks, usually on Fridays and there are 4-5 pick-up locations starting in Fountain Colorado all the way up to Thornton. Today's transport included a pregnant mama so we had a pool going on when they'd be born and how many pups. When they went to unload her at the pick up location she'd given birth to 2 puppies. Two more were born on the way to the foster's home from the pick-up point and they think there's more coming.
:geek::roflmao::wag:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just sharing a fun foster story that is happening today. We transport dogs (and cats) up every 2 weeks, usually on Fridays and there are 4-5 pick-up locations starting in Fountain Colorado all the way up to Thornton. Today's transport included a pregnant mama so we had a pool going on when they'd be born and how many pups. When they went to unload her at the pick up location she'd given birth to 2 puppies. Two more were born on the way to the foster's home from the pick-up point and they think there's more coming.
:geek::roflmao::wag:
Cool!

Can someone in CO foster me for the winter next winter (will have gotten my 2 shots by then and I'm housebroken)?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cute. She's not quite that big nor would she be that comfy up on something. She is currently quite concerned because I am packing up to head to Vail after class tonight and she thinks I'm leaving her. Of course she is going with me.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I finally took some time to upload videos of Ginsburg. Fair warning on the first one, it is the day she was was hospitalized and the day before surgery and is painful to listen to. The next 2 were play at the dog park yesterday.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Okay, I finally took some time to upload videos of Ginsburg. Fair warning on the first one, it is the day she was was hospitalized and the day before surgery and is painful to listen to. The next 2 were play at the dog park yesterday.

Ohmygoodness. @coskigirl, you have earned your place in heaven. You did what needed to be done when she was in such pain. You saved her.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ohmygoodness. @coskigirl, you have earned your place in heaven. You did what needed to be done when she was in such pain. You saved her.

Awww, I did what any decent human would do but after going through almost 3 weeks of that I am nearly brought to tears when I watch her run and play now. She’s such a sweet and loving spirit.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I’m officially looking for my next foster dog. Possibly arriving on Monday because my rescue organization is doing a spay/neuter clinic on the Navajo Nation this weekend and we expect a bunch of surrenders. One of the women working it knows Ginzi and is watching for one that will do well with her. Super excited to continue the foster journey and help more families find joy with a RezDawg.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure how I lost track of this thread, but going back three pages, to the surgery story and the progress..... wow!!

So stoked to see the big change from the painful video and the playing videos.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure how I lost track of this thread, but going back three pages, to the surgery story and the progress..... wow!!

So stoked to see the big change from the painful video and the playing videos.

You’ve had some other things going on. Hopefully you’ll get to meet her at some point and she and Gypsy can play together. She brings so much joy to me and everyone she meets!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You’ve had some other things going on. Hopefully you’ll get to meet her at some point and she and Gypsy can play together. She brings so much joy to me and everyone she meets!
I would like to say that Gypsy will be with us on this trip at the end of April, but she's not ready for a road trip just yet.
She is doing AMAZING with her confidence and calmness, but still whines and paces in the car. I'd like to see her do better on short road trips before committing to a 15 hr drive to play with Ginzi.

I imagine it will be interesting recall with them when we do get them together to play. Ginzi Gypsy LOL

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to say that Gypsy will be with us on this trip at the end of April, but she's not ready for a road trip just yet.
She is doing AMAZING with her confidence and calmness, but still whines and paces in the car. I'd like to see her do better on short road trips before committing to a 15 hr drive to play with Ginzi.

I imagine it will be interesting recall with them when we do get them together to play. Ginzi Gypsy LOL

I likely wouldn’t make a late April meet up anyway as finals usually consume me and I am so far behind on prep this semester. We are road tripping to Oregon in late May which is going to be interesting. Ginzi likes short rides but so far hasn’t really settled down on trips to Vail. I’ll probably do CBD to help.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd say he feels right at home! This is our rescue taking a nap. Doesn't look comfortable to me. We renamed LeLu to "Lucy" Or "Lucy Lu". She has been a lot of work but keeps me busy during Covid (When I'm not skiing)

Attachments

• 20210402_205949.jpg
    20210402_205949.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 17
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like I might be a temporary resting place for a few days for this sweet boy starting tomorrow morning. Tossed from a car and now has a fractured leg, pelvis, and tail. Road rash. And cruelly docked ears. WTF is wrong with people.
43C784FE-C131-44A6-AC29-7A2893303DB9.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online