• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You must be the go-to person for the difficult cases now.

In this case I just happen to live 5 minutes from the director who transported him up yesterday to get him out ASAP and she can’t really keep him with 2 young kids. The person who will long-term foster isn’t available until Tuesday. We have lots of difficult cases though because instead of cherry-picking the easy ones we seem to gravitate toward the ones that need the most help.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pup did not end up coming to me although I'm on call if something changes. The only other dog that came in this time that I thought would be a good fit was snapped up by someone else before I could respond. I'll watch the next transport for possibles but if that doesn't happen then it'll have to wait until after I return from a long road trip I am planning in May/June.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You must be the go-to person for the difficult cases now.
Speaks volumes of her too. I don't know what she's doing in Law;) JK.
Actually, I've seen this before. Begins with the dogs next after taking the bar exam in several states, children.
Woman from my hiking group was a nurse then law school, fostering animals then adopting a child from a bad situation in IIRC, I think China. After the ordeal she went thru in the process she left a prestigious law firm to open small practice specializing in child adoption, adoption from abroad. Give @coskigirl Robyn a few years, you'll see...

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaks volumes of her too. I don't know what she's doing in Law;) JK.
Actually, I've seen this before. Begins with the dogs next after taking the bar exam in several states, children.
Woman from my hiking group was a nurse then law school, fostering animals then adopting a child from a bad situation in IIRC, I think China. After the ordeal she went thru in the process she left a prestigious law firm to open small practice specializing in child adoption, adoption from abroad. Give @coskigirl Robyn a few years, you'll see...

Child adoption out of the foster system is not out of the question in my future but we'll see.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Dog Lovers! Just found this thread....I looovveee it. You're doing great work with foster care.

I'm a big, silly, dog lover. See a picture of my pooch, Luna, below.

Question: Where did you get that wonderful brass engraved name tag? Luna wants one!!!:)
15luna.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was a hard feature to read but lends to the dog adoption and fostering journey.

Some dogs have been surrendered so many times that they don't know how to be socialized.
It takes that one special person to know what they need.

Breaks my heart.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
This was a hard feature to read but lends to the dog adoption and fostering journey.

Some dogs have been surrendered so many times that they don't know how to be socialized.
It takes that one special person to know what they need.

Breaks my heart.

Tough read but it does beg the question if a foster parent as kind and caring as the author can't succeed what are the chances of a dog that has had its behaviour so affected by other humans will find that one special person?

Although dogs and humans have evolved to be great companions for one another, when they aren't it seems they aren't and one party will always suffer more as a result.

Also the article starts with leading you to the obvious reaction that the boyfriend was an asshole, by the end you wonder if he was unusually perceptive.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@fatbob When we adopted Gypsy March 20th 2020, she was seemingly sweet, obedient, well trained (obedient and well trained are two different things) and very socialable.
After a visit from the Minks and their dogs, we saw her possessiveness toward us and she was snarly with Andy's sweet dogs.

We put the effort into her with a dog behaviorist and classes to build confidence and socialization.
I'm sure that there are some dogs that can't be saved, but I'm glad that we found each other because we were willing and able to put the effort into it.

One thing the behaviorist did tell us about biting is that its harder to change the behavior of a dog that has bitten because, when they bite and get the results they want from biting, its hard to alter that. (not impossible, but more difficult)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It looks like I might be a temporary resting place for a few days for this sweet boy starting tomorrow morning. Tossed from a car and now has a fractured leg, pelvis, and tail. Road rash. And cruelly docked ears. WTF is wrong with people.
View attachment 130330
This kind of thing gets my hackles up!
What is wrong with people?

*Cara Cara oranges are delicious.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
We put the effort into her with a dog behaviorist and classes to build confidence and socialization.
I'm sure that there are some dogs that can't be saved, but I'm glad that we found each other because we were willing and able to put the effort into it.

One thing the behaviorist did tell us about biting is that its harder to change the behavior of a dog that has bitten because, when they bite and get the results they want from biting, its hard to alter that. (not impossible, but more difficult)
Gypsy and you both have all won on the great lottery of meeting each over. It's a shame it just can't work out for the "problem" dogs.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gypsy and you both have all won on the great lottery of meeting each over. It's a shame it just can't work out for the "problem" dogs.

I agree on the dog/owner lottery.
If the wrong person adopted Gypsy, with her lack of confidence, she could have easily become a problem dog.

This is where we took Gypsy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This recent video about a dog that has been trained to be adoptable.
Its crazy to see what they put into these animals for adoption after they have been deemed "not worthy". 2 years to rehabilitate!!
It kind of makes me wonder how bad the dogs were that were euthenized.

Last edited:
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Being on the inside of a rescue organization now, it's amazing what kinds of behaviors we see and what patience and training can do for the dogs. Here's a link to a dog we have right now that has made so much progress but still needs so much work. The videos of him make my heart melt and if I had the space/time I'd love to have him.

I believe Oliver is going to a new foster who also owns a local boarding/day care facility with training experience to help him with his issues.

And of course my sweet Hatch was amazing and loving with me but other people were super scary. Eventually he made it through that with the help of a different foster.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And of course my sweet Hatch was amazing and loving with me but other people were super scary. Eventually he made it through that with the help of a different foster.
Sometimes that is what makes a difference. The right person with the right pooch.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like I might be a temporary resting place for a few days for this sweet boy starting tomorrow morning. Tossed from a car and now has a fractured leg, pelvis, and tail. Road rash. And cruelly docked ears. WTF is wrong with people.
View attachment 130330

Just thought I’d update that Vince (as in Vincent Van Gogh because of the ears) is a foster fail and has been adopted by his foster family. I can’t find the pics again but he looks so happy and healthy!

Sponsor

Staff online