• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Free The Powder - leather gloves - long term review

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I have had 2 pairs of FTP gloves for the last 3 seasons and I just added a third. Posting a quick long-term use review here. These gloves are great value and incredibly durable. Very happy with them. For reference on days used, my last 3 ski seasons have been 50 days, 30 days and currently on day 28 this season. I have taken zero care of the 2 pairs that I have had so far. No wax replenish, no cleaning, etc. I just let then dry out between uses, if they ever got too wet.

FTP Spring Glove (now available in slightly different design as the BC glove)
This is my primary glove at Tahoe. I use is on days with temps above 32 deg. F. I have also use it for activities other than skiing as my daily winter glove - winter dog walks, snowshoeing, etc. This has a light non-removable inner lining and is quite comfortable.

FTP_Spring.jpg

FTP RX glove
This is my "cold" day ski glove. Much less used than the Spring glove. This has a removable inner lining and is much more insulated than the Spring Glove. You could take out the liner and use the bare leather glove on warmer days, but I found the un-lined inner surface rough. Also, without the liner, glove now felt too big. the current version of this glove is called RX Pro and includes a thinner "Spring" inner liner that addresses this issue.

FTP_RX.jpg

FTP BC glove
This is a re-design of the Spring Glove. The Velcro wrist strap mechanism has been replaced with a stretch material. Will have to see how that holds over time. I will be using it only for skiing, as I am moving my older Spring glove to be the daily winter glove. it is the exact same size as my old Spring glove (M) and fit is snug. This is how I remembered the older glove being for the first few days before packing into a comfortable fit. At $34.95 on sale right now, this is an incredible deal.

I also got the leather treatment this time to see if using that further reduces any little wear that I see with my older gloves.

FTP_BC.jpg

BC glove-

RX Pro glove-

Leather treatment/Water-proofer-

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the BC glove and applied the treatment before first use. After 2 seasons only the seams show any water absorption.
Great quality. I find this glove to be good up to 40 deg and then it’s to warm.
At $35 I have an order in for another set. All their other gloves seem to go on sale in the spring.
Happy customer

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2 pair of mittens, one pair of gloves in our house and we all are very happy with them. The ol' veteran ski instructor proclaims them the best gloves ever. I proclaim their mittens the warmest I've worn, even warmer than BD Mercury Mitts. They're too warm for days above freezing, honestly. I'm enjoying not having to use handwarmers every day.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have had 2 pairs of FTP gloves for the last 3 seasons and I just added a third. Posting a quick long-term use review here. These gloves are great value and incredibly durable. Very happy with them. For reference on days used, my last 3 ski seasons have been 50 days, 30 days and currently on day 28 this season. I have taken zero care of the 2 pairs that I have had so far. No wax replenish, no cleaning, etc. I just let then dry out between uses, if they ever got too wet.

FTP Spring Glove (now available in slightly different design as the BC glove)
This is my primary glove at Tahoe. I use is on days with temps above 32 deg. F. I have also use it for activities other than skiing as my daily winter glove - winter dog walks, snowshoeing, etc. This has a light non-removable inner lining and is quite comfortable.

View attachment 124694

FTP RX glove
This is my "cold" day ski glove. Much less used than the Spring glove. This has a removable inner lining and is much more insulated than the Spring Glove. You could take out the liner and use the bare leather glove on warmer days, but I found the un-lined inner surface rough. Also, without the liner, glove now felt too big. the current version of this glove is called RX Pro and includes a thinner "Spring" inner liner that addresses this issue.

View attachment 124695

FTP BC glove
This is a re-design of the Spring Glove. The Velcro wrist strap mechanism has been replaced with a stretch material. Will have to see how that holds over time. I will be using it only for skiing, as I am moving my older Spring glove to be the daily winter glove. it is the exact same size as my old Spring glove (M) and fit is snug. This is how I remembered the older glove being for the first few days before packing into a comfortable fit. At $34.95 on sale right now, this is an incredible deal.

I also got the leather treatment this time to see if using that further reduces any little wear that I see with my older gloves.

View attachment 124696

BC glove-

RX Pro glove-

Leather treatment/Water-proofer-
Just looked up the RX Pro Glove and at freethepowder.com it is $79.99 I would most likely be a player around $40

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big fan of the RX3 Pro. Liners fit in my Hestra's as well. Warmer overall than the Hestra's. Leather is thicker as well.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Polar Mitt which has been discontinued and the Baldy Mitt. These both have the fixed liner in them.
I have an RX glove that was put away a few seasons ago after making the switch to mitts.

edit-I have always used Snoseal but may now try the FTP treatment

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a couple hundred days on 2 pairs (gen 1 mittens, gen 2 gloves). Very good QPR (quality:price ratio).

Same here !

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just looked up the RX Pro Glove and at freethepowder.com it is $79.99 I would most likely be a player around $40
My wife and I could use new gloves so I just bought two of the RX Pro that comes with two liners for each pair at the end of winter sale. Thanks GB_Ski
for the sale info and the code MAG119 that saved us 10% on both pairs. Price each is $53.96 shipped plus tax. Also free USPS Express shipping. Bought 3/18/21 from FTP website.

James

Out There
Instructor
8B70F805-81FB-4104-A7A2-A648D031D9E1.jpeg

Gen 1 (think) FTP gloves. Lots of days. My only issue is the cuff. It’s too big to fit under many jackets, too small to fit over. So ends up being a bit of a mess.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ive been using FTP for at least three years now (probably more) and am very hppy with them and with the support you receive. I agree with the comment about the cuff though. I added a pair of the spring glove to use along side my classic Kincos for warmer use; i never wear the Kinkos anymore. The new BC glove has replaced the spring glove and the new cuff looks like a winner. I highly recommend FTP gloves.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Keeping them treated is the key. I love mine. They are on sale right now, I'll probably get another pair, most likely the mitts this time for really cold days.

erikk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have also had two pairs of baseball gloves for the last three seasons. I am using Wilson A6740 Pro Stock Glove Conditioner. This conditioner had no trouble maintaining and keeping my mitt clean; it even managed to get rid of years of dirt on my old glove. This leather conditioner ended up making the mitt look brand new.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump…anybody know if FTP is still offering discount codes?

Professional Discounts​

Do you offer discounts for resort employees?
Yes. At Free the Powder we consider ourselves the unofficial glove of ski resort employees, Ski Patrol, and ski instructors. We were founded to make a better priced ski glove for Ski Patrol. But we have even better deals for resort employees: Send us an email with a photo of your employee pass and we will send you our Pro Form information (hint-hint, we're less than half the price of other top brands). Please see our Resort Employee Discount information page

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Professional Discounts​

Yes. At Free the Powder we consider ourselves the unofficial glove of ski resort employees, Ski Patrol, and ski instructors. We were founded to make a better priced ski glove for Ski Patrol. But we have even better deals for resort employees: Send us an email with a photo of your employee pass and we will send you our Pro Form information (hint-hint, we're less than half the price of other top brands). Please see our Resort Employee Discount information pag

Professional Discounts​

Yes. At Free the Powder we consider ourselves the unofficial glove of ski resort employees, Ski Patrol, and ski instructors. We were founded to make a better priced ski glove for Ski Patrol. But we have even better deals for resort employees: Send us an email with a photo of your employee pass and we will send you our Pro Form information (hint-hint, we're less than half the price of other top brands). Please see our Resort Employee Discount information page
Thanks..they are currently all on sale/clearance…and the current sale price beats any ProForm I’ve used in the past. I ordered a couple pairs of mitts for my wife/daughter.

We all have been using FTP for awhile now….we have built up quite a quiver….lol. Really can’t beat the quality/price, customer service, and dexterity their product provides.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.