• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freeride poles with removable straps

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I am looking for freeride poles with removable straps. Other requirements are continuous, long grips, and powder baskets. Something like the Scott RC Pro Pole, but with better availability.

I find myself wanting a strap to have more control and power transfer onto the poles during boot packing etc. But on the descent, I don't use the straps. I don't like grabbing them with the grip or leaving them flapping around. Removing straps completely is not really what I want going uphill; straps on is not what I want going downhill. Bit of a pickle. That's why I am looking for removable ones. Scott is the only brand I know of that has this removable strap system. Their RC Pro Pole is exactly what I want, BUT, they're very hard to come by and they are carbon poles. I would rather have aluminum poles (not chasing grams, rather have them bent a little than snapped - had carbon poles in the past, didn't care for them).

Any other suggestions? I am situated in Europe, so anything that isn't available here is nice, but not a real option for me.
I am open to other suggestions, too, on how to handle my strap problem.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Aldi/ Hofer/ Lidl hiking poles. Flicklock, extended foam grip, ribbon for wrist strap so barely notice if you don't use on the downhill. Powder baskets from Decathon to fit.

Used the Crivit( Lidl) version for near 50 days this winter (wasn't intending to but as I found powder baskets for them I thought I'd give them a try).

Basically like the LEKI Civetta Pro but with a less substantial wrist loop which sounds like an advantage for you.

Look like these:

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Alain?
I just saw some poles with optional straps, but can’t remember what they were.

Movement?
Probably can remove the straps.

Black Crows
Assuming you can remove straps
07E56833-D38F-465D-BE54-DCA38ACDB572.jpeg

Grivel has a few. At least this one talks of removable straps

This relatively low priced aluminum LEKI earned good marks from OutdoorGearLab. It’s adjustable though. No idea of straps.

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/LEKI/helicon-lite.html

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
LEKI Trigger system?

James

Out There
Instructor
Very American centric article. The dude should have at least called say the owner of SkiMoCo in Salt Lake to get a little background.

Those extended grips have been available for years in Europe. I believe Alain Desez started selling his poles in 2011.

They really do stand out. The first time I saw the long blue grips in a shop in Chamonix, I made a beeline in to check them out. He has a lot more colors now.
Trailer from prototype in 2010-

@Cheizz -
So you don’t want a grip?
You’ve got a lot more choice these days other than Alain’s.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Alain's poles and the Grivel ones have all the features I am looking for. Browsing for deals as we speak...