• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

friendlier "race" boot...?

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Thx in advance expert bootfitters!

Name changed from "friendlier plugs", as our in our in house atomic let me know that term isn't used anymore..

So, I've had a 3 pair of very similar boots in a row,
Tecnica r93 , skied it till I broke it,
then 2 pair of Nordica WC130, 93mm, cooked the last one after about 5 years, and my current one is feeling about history at 5 years (skiing 50-70 days a year, average 2hr days, almost all slow to med speed off piste, many bumps)

I grabbed an old doberman WC130 on close out near the end of last season, but it was the one with the AL bootboard, and it just felt way too direct and aggressive to me.

I have tweaked all my past "race" boots to fit great at 93mm, also taken large saddle cuts to soften the up, as I'm 160lb finesse skier w/ little power.

So, Any boots I should bring on to my radar for this fall. Going to a race shop to fit a few tomorrow, but thought I'd see if there are any I should pay attention to that aren't on my radar?

The atomic 130TI mentioned in this area recently seems it may be of interest. Tecnica firebird R 120 or 140 may actually be just rebranded of my 5 yr old doberman 93, and I found one of those.

Anything else?

Thx!
W

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dalbello DRS WC goes down to a 110ish in the XS.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
You could check out Fischer too. They do a 92 last plug in 110 and 130. Also you can get them on and off without using a hairdryer. Just saying.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am "trying on plugs" this year also. One new plug to the market this year is a Head Raptor WRC. From what I read, its softest offering is in the 110 range, it has a wider toe box than previous, and its fit is supposed to require less work than their previous plug. For the right foot (read narrow) it might fit well right out of the box. I am focused on the Atomic line,(but will look at all) as they have a new plug, the Redster TI you mentioned, and a Redster Club Sport (between plug and consumer boot), and their consumer line. They also offer an Atomic foam liner for the Redster boots if you want a more custom fit. I should be able to find the right width with three choices to try on. I have a long, narrow foot. I have finally decided to go narrower than my Lange RS LV boots which are a hair too wide for me. Good luck.

ktmdude56

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just got a pair of the new Head WRC 4's last week. As Scott B stated the boot is an all new design. I am coming off a Head WC B3 from several years ago. The toe box is certainly roomier, plastic seems a bit more pliable. New boots took about the same amount of initial modification as my B3's. Stiffness seems about the same as the B3, maybe a bit softer. That said I am about 195lbs. Might be worth trying on. I think they do make a WRC 5, but not sure it is not for younger skiers.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
thx!
just back from a try on appt, went straight to my normal dobermans in 130 and 110, and tried firebird R 140 at first,
130 reminded me of why I did so much work on mine, 110 felt great in flex, and even a bit more cozy. Firebird R 140 was about the same flex as the WC in the 110 and didn't feel as good, with a cheap non lace up liner.
then....
I tried the Atomic STI (they didn't have the TI), both in 110 adn 130. 110 felt good, but too soft and mushy,
130 atomic sti was really interesting. Great flex, progressive, but with a little liveliness to the end of the flex, supportive, but with a bit of give maybe. Toe box was a bit wider so little toe wasn't so squeezed, but felt low and "flat'. Instep was lower, and will take work, but I think I may have found my new boot.
if, an old ski instructor moving along at 5-10mph and toodling through the trees can pull off a bright red atomic race boot :). !

Trying to see how TI would compare, but may pull the trigger anyway.

Anyone skied the STI, any feedback as it's so new?

Thx!
Wade

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tried the Atomic STI (they didn't have the TI), both in 110 adn 130. 110 felt good, but too soft and mushy,
130 atomic sti was really interesting. Great flex, progressive, but with a little liveliness to the end of the flex, supportive, but with a bit of give maybe. Toe box was a bit wider so little toe wasn't so squeezed, but felt low and "flat'. Instep was lower, and will take work, but I think I may have found my new boot.
if, an old ski instructor moving along at 5-10mph and toodling through the trees can pull off a bright red atomic race boot :). !

Thx!
Wade
paging @onenerdykid to the Pugski Courtesy Phone

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
thx!
just back from a try on appt, went straight to my normal dobermans in 130 and 110, and tried firebird R 140 at first,
130 reminded me of why I did so much work on mine, 110 felt great in flex, and even a bit more cozy. Firebird R 140 was about the same flex as the WC in the 110 and didn't feel as good, with a cheap non lace up liner.
then....

Thx!
Wade

The TI (Team Issue) boot came first, it was actually launched in 2006-ish and has become the most successful race boot since. It is very thick, very stable- definitely designed for strong/athletic/big skiers. It's the primary choice of our male world cup racers.

The STI (Slim Team Issue) came next and was built, at first, for Marlies Schild- our female superstar at the time. This boot is lower volume, narrower, but is built with a thinner plastic thickness so lighter weight racers can appropriately flex the boot. It's the only thing of its kind on the market. All other world cup level race boots are super thick, super burly boots designed for 200lbs vikings. Given your 160lbs weight and that you describe yourself as a finesse skier, I'm not surprised you like it. It very much has your body type and skiing style in mind. If you can make the fit work, then you'd have a really unique boot on your feet.

It would be easy to say the TI boot is for men and the STI is for women, but that's too much of an oversimplification and doesn't reflect the reality of who the boots are for. Boots don't know sex, they only know the physical forces acting upon them. Some of our female racers use the TI and tons of our masters & club athletes use the STI simply because it's easier to flex the boot. It sounds like the STI could be a really good option for you.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Soooo I'm in the Rossi Hero 120, and I'm no bruiser as a 125 pound female. I have not had to do anything to soften the flex, even in super cold weather. I was really surprised that this boot is as compliant as it is. It's made me a true believe that the Dual Core used in Lange/Rossi really isn't a gimmick. Even better is they aren't brutal to get into or take off.

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
The TI (Team Issue) boot came first, it was actually launched in 2006-ish and has become the most successful race boot since. It is very thick, very stable- definitely designed for strong/athletic/big skiers. It's the primary choice of our male world cup racers.

The STI (Slim Team Issue) came next and was built, at first, for Marlies Schild- our female superstar at the time. This boot is lower volume, narrower, but is built with a thinner plastic thickness so lighter weight racers can appropriately flex the boot. It's the only thing of its kind on the market. All other world cup level race boots are super thick, super burly boots designed for 200lbs vikings. Given your 160lbs weight and that you describe yourself as a finesse skier, I'm not surprised you like it. It very much has your body type and skiing style in mind. If you can make the fit work, then you'd have a really unique boot on your feet.

It would be easy to say the TI boot is for men and the STI is for women, but that's too much of an oversimplification and doesn't reflect the reality of who the boots are for. Boots don't know sex, they only know the physical forces acting upon them. Some of our female racers use the TI and tons of our masters & club athletes use the STI simply because it's easier to flex the boot. It sounds like the STI could be a really good option for you.

Thank you!
I'm buying that one!
Cheers!
W

Last edited:
TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Soooo I'm in the Rossi Hero 120, and I'm no bruiser as a 125 pound female. I have not had to do anything to soften the flex, even in super cold weather. I was really surprised that this boot is as compliant as it is. It's made me a true believe that the Dual Core used in Lange/Rossi really isn't a gimmick. Even better is they aren't brutal to get into or take off.

Thx Amy, I had tried the lange ZA+ last year, and liked the feel of the plastic in the shop, but the stance/geometry felt off for me, and I heard they have issues with becoming very mushy in warm skiing, which we do a lot of in tahoe. It was on the list though, thx for sharing your success!

I'll have to work out some fit issues on the instep, but I think start haus can pull it off, and I'm gonna a be an old guy noodling around in the woods in a bright red race atomic.. :).

Cheers!
W

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll have to work out some fit issues on the instep, but I think start haus can pull it off, and I'm gonna a be an old guy noodling around in the woods in a bright red race atomic.. :).

Cheers!
W
You will be easy to spot...now if can just get you to change out of your basic black outfit. ;)

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ooo, as a 115 lb female with narrow feet mentally planning her next boot, that's handy to know. I'll have to remember that one as a possibility..

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I just got a pair of the new Head WRC 4's last week. As Scott B stated the boot is an all new design. I am coming off a Head WC B3 from several years ago. The toe box is certainly roomier, plastic seems a bit more pliable. New boots took about the same amount of initial modification as my B3's. Stiffness seems about the same as the B3, maybe a bit softer. That said I am about 195lbs. Might be worth trying on. I think they do make a WRC 5, but not sure it is not for younger skiers.

The WCR 3 is somewhere between the B3 and RS 140 with both pins in, but the plastic is still very different. The WCR 4 definitely feels softer than a B3... and indeed, the toe box is nicely roomy compared to either the RS 130 or B3. First one I haven't has to grind out the toes.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooo, as a 115 lb female with narrow feet mentally planning her next boot, that's handy to know. I'll have to remember that one as a possibility..
I got them because of my impossibly narrow feet. @Philpug knows very well my saga. They are a dream with the Intuition liners in them. Phil did assist me in making canting adjustments and fore/aft adjustments.

Sponsor