• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

friendlier "race" boot...?

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I"m back!
sorry, no snow, too much work. it's been awhile.
Yes, STI is the best boot I've ever owned or skied in, period, plug or no. Exacting precise fit, but much easier in and out with the thinner more pliable plastic, skis like it should, ideal "softer, friendlier plug", I was looking for! Highly recommend.
W

TS
WadeHoliday

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
PS, just saw your other question, doberman stiffens much more than STI, STI is more consistent throughout a range of temps. My 130sti I didn't soften at all though, it ski softer than my wildly softened Dobie 130wc.
Cheers!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I"m back!
sorry, no snow, too much work. it's been awhile.
Yes, STI is the best boot I've ever owned or skied in, period, plug or no. Exacting precise fit, but much easier in and out with the thinner more pliable plastic, skis like it should, ideal "softer, friendlier plug", I was looking for! Highly recommend.
W

Making me jealous Wade!. I have an Atomic WC plug with a 170 clog/140 cuff i have been using this season. Trying to get it off with the overlap bite is a pure B**ch. Tried pulling the out with the liner still laced as well as with leaving the liner still (half) in. Neither is easy. My 150 TI is not quite as bad but still not very user friendly... Both great to ski in though....

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Making me jealous Wade!. I have an Atomic WC plug with a 170 clog/140 cuff i have been using this season. Trying to get it off with the overlap bite is a pure B**ch. Tried pulling the out with the liner still laced as well as with leaving the liner still (half) in. Neither is easy. My 150 TI is not quite as bad but still not very user friendly... Both great to ski in though....
eat more :p at 240lbs + my special trick is the ability to get out of boots, sadly thats what I'm better at than my friends everything becomes pliable regardless of temps'ish , my knees are definetly not better...

also.. if 10 minutes of hot air on boots in car isnt needed, are they really tight and stiff enough? ;)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ouch, if you just choose to ski slower like me, you wouldn't need such a power boot :)!

You mean I should act my age, not my boot size Wade?...:huh:
eat more :p at 240lbs + my special trick is the ability to get out of boots, sadly thats what I'm better at than my friends everything becomes pliable regardless of temps'ish , my knees are definetly not better...

also.. if 10 minutes of hot air on boots in car isnt needed, are they really tight and stiff enough? ;)

ogsmile I'm trying to lose weight....

Unfortunately even with using the hair dryer with a new clog it is still pretty tight...:rolleyes:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

UHMW tape is your friend. Down the rear spine and some pieces over the liner heel and toe.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The redster club sport is a powerful boot and not that hard to get in and out of. It's not a 170 flex, but do you really need that. I am 240 lbs and find the 130 CS enough boot. I am coaching, and not racing, so FWIW.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You mean I should act my age, not my boot size Wade?...:huh:

ogsmile I'm trying to lose weight....

Unfortunately even with using the hair dryer with a new clog it is still pretty tight...:rolleyes:
especially in your 24.5 shell.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The redster club sport is a powerful boot and not that hard to get in and out of. It's not a 170 flex, but do you really need that. I am 240 lbs and find the 130 CS enough boot. I am coaching, and not racing, so FWIW.
The boot is fine and skis well still a little bit dialing in and a couple of small grinds still to do but no issues otherwise. I have been skiing it out of the box and don’t need the extra volume or width of the CS. I have tried different boots for coaching but always end up coming back to a plug. Just works better for me and then also I am not switching to something different on race day YMMV