• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

From Race Skis to All-Mountain?

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
I've never really enjoyed anything but narrow race skis, at least not on the New England icy surfaces I ski most. My current rides are old Head World Cup GS - 183cm 25meter, 66 underfoot, heavy Vist Plate. I have a pair of 165 iSL for very crowded days. Both are well tuned and work as well as they ever did.

However, they're neither of them really any fun except when well lit-up, both are mediocre in crud and just awful off-piste. On top of which, at 66 years old I'm not as strong as I was (PSIA Certified back in the '70s and still can get down anything. 5'10/215) on top of which I don't get much time on the snow so I haven't opportunity to demo and hate to waste any day on poor equipment. I spend about half of my limited time on snow on narrow hardboot snowboards, so I value a really pure carve and an aggressive approach.

So I'm looking for something more versatile as an OSQ, probably between 174 and 184CM. I think I can go as wide as 88 even though most of my time will be on hard snow. Budget is a factor so I'm looking at ex-Demo as well as new. On the list are what I suppose are the usual suspects: Fischer RC ONE 86 or 82, Blizzard Thunderbird R15 WB, Head iTitan or eTitan (is the I maybe a better ski than the E?), Elan Wingman 82 CTI (maybe too floppy for me?) Deacon 84. Anything I should add or subtract? Is it crazy to go from a lifetime of 65cm skis to 86? I've enjoyed skis as wide as 94 when out west, so...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It sounds like you are looking for a wide narrow ski verses a narrow wide ski. As far as looking for leftovers and ex-demos... we are coming into ski swap season, start there. Looks for skis with little or no tip rise/rocker and most will have soem sort of system binding. A lot of great options but not knowing what used ski inventories will be like, look for the fore mention characteristics verses a specific model.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

$399.00 flat
Was going to suggest these too as they are a great wide carver that has decent tips for going over crud. Add these bindings and you’d have an awesome set up that they would probably even pre-mount for you if you provided your boot sole length.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
88 ‘seems’ to be the width that maintains enough mass to retain solid traction to resemble a high performance ski. Any lesser any it gets twitchy, quickly. The upside is that an all mtn ski can be flexed / modulated at far lesser speeds. Take a look @ the Kastle MX88 & Volkl Kendo.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was going to suggest these too as they are a great wide carver that has decent tips for going over crud. Add these bindings and you’d have an awesome set up that they would probably even pre-mount for you if you provided your boot sole length.

My son just got this set-up on the Fischer RC One.

James

Out There
Instructor
Salomon S Force Bold is a good choice.
You’re about two months too late for the massive sale on those by Powder 7.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am similar in size and generation to the OP and also spend a lot of time on sub 70mm race and sport carving skis. For a general purpose ski for use all over the resort when not using a sub-70mm ski, I tend to find a 85-90mm ski the most versatile option. I've posted about such skis earlier this year (https://www.skitalk.com/threads/88-90mm-narrow-all-mountain-skis.26381/#post-712608), but can highly recommend the Augment AM88C, Rossignol Experience 86Ti, and Salomon Stance 90.

TS
A

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks to all of you for your insights and experiences - what a generous group. Several times I nearly pulled the trigger on the Fischer 86 which sound terrific but ultimately went with what looks like a lightly used pair of I-Titan 177 with Warden12 Demo bindings. I hope that binding is burly enough (I usually set bindings at 8.5-9 DIN) and Powder7 tunes their demo stock at 1/1 so I'll likely want to get them to 3/1 before snow flies. I just decided that since every ski involved some compromise I might be wisest to prioritize the thing which is most important to me, which is really railing turns in variable snow, and that sounded like the Heads. Torsionally much less rigid than anything I've owned but even that is probably age-appropriate. I like being able to fuss with boot location a little and don't think the height will bother me. No doubt they'll be a struggle in real powder but everyone I've spoken with who owns them says they're ok up to 8" of chop, which is all I'm most likely to see.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just FYI, I think it is not called the House??, but look in the Candide CT 1.0,2.0,3.0 thread. There are left over 2021 CT 1.0 twin tip charging skis for around $220 new that I bet you would like. They are 92 mm wide. I own a pair and like them in NE conditions. When we actually get some snow they are fun, and they do well as long as its not boiler plate. You have your race skis or Titan's for that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks to all of you for your insights and experiences - what a generous group. Several times I nearly pulled the trigger on the Fischer 86 which sound terrific but ultimately went with what looks like a lightly used pair of I-Titan 177 with Warden12 Demo bindings. I hope that binding is burly enough (I usually set bindings at 8.5-9 DIN) and Powder7 tunes their demo stock at 1/1 so I'll likely want to get them to 3/1 before snow flies. I just decided that since every ski involved some compromise I might be wisest to prioritize the thing which is most important to me, which is really railing turns in variable snow, and that sounded like the Heads. Torsionally much less rigid than anything I've owned but even that is probably age-appropriate. I like being able to fuss with boot location a little and don't think the height will bother me. No doubt they'll be a struggle in real powder but everyone I've spoken with who owns them says they're ok up to 8" of chop, which is all I'm most likely to see.
You will be good to go with that set up. Yes, the Warden 13D is a worthy binding.

TS
A

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
You will be good to go with that set up. Yes, the Warden 13D is a worthy binding.
Thanks Phil! In fact when they showed up they were wearing not the Wardens but the PRD GW12. The skis themselves were in great shape so I've kept them (tuned them to 3/1 and set the bindings for length but not had them checked yet.) It looks like I might be able to slide the Protector bindings right on those rails if I can source them somewhere - would that be wise or is the PRD likely to be OK do you think? I essentially never ride switch (never on purpose anyway) so lateral heel release may not be as important for me.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any centerline marking on the ski itself. I imagine the PRD was an OEM factory install. Do I just assume that Head knows where they want the binding to go?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil! In fact when they showed up they were wearing not the Wardens but the PRD GW12. The skis themselves were in great shape so I've kept them (tuned them to 3/1 and set the bindings for length but not had them checked yet.) It looks like I might be able to slide the Protector bindings right on those rails if I can source them somewhere - would that be wise or is the PRD likely to be OK do you think? I essentially never ride switch (never on purpose anyway) so lateral heel release may not be as important for me.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any centerline marking on the ski itself. I imagine the PRD was an OEM factory install. Do I just assume that Head knows where they want the binding to go?
The binding mount point has been on with these, no worries there. Upgrading to the Protector is your call, there will not be a loss in any performance but an additional level of protection for your knees.

Sponsor

Staff online