• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frontside Ski for Second of a Two Ski Quiver

Denny Love

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey Everyone!!

Been a forum watcher for a while now. First time posting. So much good knowledge in this community, it truly is humbling.

Anyway, I’m looking for a ski to add to my current quiver of one ski. I bought a Nordica Enforcer in 2013/14 (ish). It’s the year with the lightning bolt topsheet, for whatever that’s worth. 98 mm underfoot.

I bought the ski to be a bit of a “do everything somewhat competently” ski. This was a few years ago when I thought I would be spending some time hard-charging off piste. I’ve had to recently admit to myself that...1. I’m a recreational skier...2. I spend 90% of my time on groomers... & 3. I actually enjoy carving GS style turns on the frontside more than any other type of skiing. Just so happens that it is what I’m best at, so that’s something at least...

This is of course more of a carpenter issue than the carpenter’s tools. The Enforcer is more than capable of cutting tracks into groomers given the right pilot, but I am starting to miss the feel of a more lively / nimble ski from edge to edge. Something skinner I think would fit the bill.

My first question is how skinny would y’all go? I want something different enough from the Enforcer to justify another ski. Do I need to go all the way to mid 70s for that? Or would up to mid 80s underfoot fit the bill as well? As an aside, I know next to nothing about ski design..

Second question would be do you all have anything that stands out in this family of skis?

A few I like the look of so far:
Deacon 84
Firebird (HRC or Comp 76)
Fischer RC One GT 86
Dobermann Spitfire RB 80

Anything I really need to check out that’s not here? Really want this to be a dedicated frontside carver, but something that can handle softish western snow conditions and be serviceable in the bumps. Serviceable is all really.

For reference, I’m 5’8”, 160. 34 years old. I’d say I’m an advanced skier (well short of expert), and I like to ski fairly aggressively. I really enjoy the pop of a shaped ski out of a turn and like to try and bend them best I can.

Thanks so much in advance!! Really looking forward to engaging with the community!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For a good capable groomer ski in the 70-80mm range, I'd look at a Head SuperShape (both the Speed and the Rally are great), a Stockli SC or AX, Liberty V76, Firebird HRC, Blossom White Out, Augment 77. The Volkl Deacon 80 is nice; the Spitfire 80 is less versatile. For a more "GS like" long turn sport carver, both the Stockli Laser GS and Head Rebel Speed have been superlative.

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
Thanks so much @DocGKR!! I’ll definitely take a look at these others.

If you don’t mind, what would you say you get out of the Deacon 80 vs the Spitfire 80?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Deacon might offers more all mountain versatility, is more relaxed, and has more forgiveness; the Spitfire offers somewhat higher performance when carving and at speed.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Second question would be do you all have anything that stands out in this family of skis?

A few I like the look of so far:
Deacon 84
Firebird (HRC or Comp 76)
Fischer RC One GT 86
Dobermann Spitfire RB 80

Anything I really need to check out that’s not here? Really want this to be a dedicated frontside carver, but something that can handle softish western snow conditions and be serviceable in the bumps. Serviceable is all really.

I have all of these skis (HRC not Comp). The Deacon 84 does not perform well in off- or side-piste softer snow, but rips on frontside groomers. The 86 GT is the more capable all-mountain alternative to the Deacon that still performs extremely well as a burly frontside charger.

The HRC is an awesome multi-radius cheater SL/GS and a bit snappier than the plankier Spitfire 80. I wouldn't really take the HRC in softer snow.

So the 86 GT will do just about everything, the Deacon and HRC are more limited but excel on frontside hardback, and the Spitfire 80 slots in between the two dedicated/versatile extremities.

If you can, I would test the Fischer RC One 86 GT against the Stockli AR or AX.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For reference, I’m 5’8”, 160. 34 years old. I’d say I’m an advanced skier (well short of expert), and I like to ski fairly aggressively. I really enjoy the pop of a shaped ski out of a turn and like to try and bend them best I can.
Where do you ski?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"Anything I really need to check out that’s not here? Really want this to be a dedicated frontside carver, but something that can handle softish western snow conditions and be serviceable in the bumps. Serviceable is all really."

Salomon S Force Bold

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
I bought a pair of rossignol elite this season just for that reason. 78 underfoot. I love it. It is great on the hard pack and groomers for where I ski in NH. It really holds an edge and I can make various turn shapes with it. I was lucky to find a new pair at my local shop for $500 with the look bindings.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I bought a pair of rossignol elite this season just for that reason. 78 underfoot. I love it. It is great on the hard pack and groomers for where I ski in NH. It really holds an edge and I can make various turn shapes with it. I was lucky to find a new pair at my local shop for $500 with the look bindings.
That would be the Hero Elite Plus. A great ski. I took the NX binding off mine and replaced with an R22 raceplate with the SPX binding.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyway, I’m looking for a ski to add to my current quiver of one ski. I bought a Nordica Enforcer in 2013/14 (ish). It’s the year with the lightning bolt topsheet, for whatever that’s worth. 98 mm underfoot.

For reference, I’m 5’8”, 160. I really enjoy the pop of a shaped ski out of a turn and like to try and bend them best I can.

First, you own one of the best carving 98 mm skis ever made (along with the Fischer Motive 95). Truly a "wide carver" with just a smidge of early rise up front.

Second, consider the vastly underappreciated Elan Wingman series. They POP! But the Amphibio design does annoy me a bit.

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
Wow, thanks so much everyone!!

@DocGKR Thanks! This makes sense for sure!

@AlpedHuez thanks for the info on the Deacon 84. This is great because I would have thought the 84 was somewhat versatile due to the slightly wider platform than the Dobermann 80.

And I need to take a look at the AR & AX for sure. Pricey, but sound like they are worth the extra cash.

@AmyPJ great, thanks! I’ve also heard good things about the S/Force Bold. What do you like about it in the softer snow?

@bad influence I’ll have to check out the Hero Elites. The topsheet is very cool!

@Tony S I do most of my skiing out west, Colorado and Utah. Trying to get up to Okemo this year to join my significant other’s family who are from the NE, but I’m not sure if I’ll make it just yet.

Last edited:
TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
@Tom K. Thank you! I guess that’s where I’m getting stuck. As the Enforcer is the only ski I’ve ever owned, I don’t really have much of a frame of reference other than the skis I’ve rented in the past. Growing up (90s and early to mid 2000s) I assume those would have been in the 70 mm range standard rentals.

Do you feel that an ~80-85 mm ski with a bit more shape is going to perform significantly better frontside than the 98 mm I already have?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I can vouch for the Deacon 74, Liberty V76, Head Rally and Titan. All of them will link turns and carve tracks like silly if you do you part. Out of all of them, the Rally/Titan are the most impervious to end of day crud piles and the most refined feeling. The Deacon 74 is almost a beer league ski that's more fun to free ski but isn't as good at mixed conditions as the Rally/Titan. The Deacon 74 is a great morning ski or for any place the groomers hold up well all day.

The V76 loves making medium to tight turns, and plays in trees and bumps better than all the above but isn't as refined feeling as the Rally/Titan, but I don't care because it's just that much knuckle dragging and go anywhere fun.

I'd love to see how the new eRally does for this category, just bummed the Titan got fat at 85mm, I'll stick with testing the Rally at 78mm.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Do you feel that an ~80-85 mm ski with a bit more shape is going to perform significantly better frontside than the 98 mm I already have?

Big time! They will transition much faster and take less effort to hold on edge while being easier on your joints.

Don't be afraid to look closer at the 74-82 range. I love skis in the 76-82mm range for Midwest/east, 85+ is starting to get porky for a daily driver.

The V76 is a great ski for all around. The only time I felt I needed more float is when we started a day with 4" of fresh and got another 10+" on top of it that day. 4-5" of fresh snow are fine for it. Just bring your enforcers for actual powder days.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The Hero Elite Plus Ti is on of my favorite skis, however, I ski it in a 181cm with a 15m radius; the shorter lengths start getting a lot tighter turn radius and seem less versatile.

The Rally is a great choice as well, capable all over resort trails.

Phil--second post in this thread recommends an AX....

TS
Denny Love

Denny Love

Skier
@GB_Ski wow, thank you! Seems like a dang good deal. I’ll look into the Liberty V76s.

@trailtrimmer thanks, I’m definitely zeroing in on that 76-82 range of skis.

@Tom K. thank you for the response. The 80mm was the original target, which is why the Dobermann caught my eye. That may be a more dedicated carver than, say, the V76 it seems like?

@Philpug The AX seems to get a lot of love around here for good reason I’m sure! That price tag, they must know they have a good ski!!

@DocGKR the 181 is probably a bit long for me. I’ll check out the next size down on the Hero and see what the turn radius is.

Does anyone worry about going below 80 for the softer western conditions? Although I was out in Arrowhead / Beaver Creek last week, and we got some good snow, but it blew off the steep stuff fairly quickly in most places. The snow definitely didn’t feel soft there ha!!

Sponsor

Staff online