• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frontside Ski for Second of a Two Ski Quiver

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you @Prosper!

Haha @trailtrimmer!!! I’m surely overthinking it! Can’t be the only one around here, though, can I? Thanks for the link. I’ve been watching that listing for sure.

Thank you for the comparison @GB_Ski!
I'm 5'9, 160. I ski the 172cm V76 and find them to be excellent in most conditions except 4 or 5 inches of soft snow and blue icy east coast condition. I have i-Magnum in 170cm and offers similar range as my V76. I think if you can get that rally for $400 shipped, it would be a steal.

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
First, you own one of the best carving 98 mm skis ever made (along with the Fischer Motive 95). Truly a "wide carver" with just a smidge of early rise up front.

Second, consider the vastly underappreciated Elan Wingman series. They POP! But the Amphibio design does annoy me a bit.
Hey Tom. I've been looking hard at the Elan Wingman. What don't you like about the Amphibio design?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been skiing an Elan Amphibio 88 XTi for years. Don't let Amphibio scare you off. The new Wingman is supposed to be more versatile, so worth a look I would say. Lots of love here from better skiers than I for the Wingman.

Amphibio gives you full camber in the inside edges for grip and performance and rocker on the outside edges for easy release and turning. Once I learned to handle them, the feeling of locked-in grip to the snow was very confidence inspiring, but still easy to release compared to other "locked-in" skis that get dinged for that.

The negative is the left-right foot specific design. Some folks apparently don't like to look at their skis before clicking in. :duck:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Tom. I've been looking hard at the Elan Wingman. What don't you like about the Amphibio design?

I like the ability to switch skis if one takes a hit to the inside edge. Of course, with the Elans, that happened on the second or third day of skiing. Any other ski and it would simply become the new "outside" edge.

It's that simple. They ski great.

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
I have been skiing an Elan Amphibio 88 XTi for years. Don't let Amphibio scare you off. The new Wingman is supposed to be more versatile, so worth a look I would say. Lots of love here from better skiers than I for the Wingman.

Amphibio gives you full camber in the inside edges for grip and performance and rocker on the outside edges for easy release and turning. Once I learned to handle them, the feeling of locked-in grip to the snow was very confidence inspiring, but still easy to release compared to other "locked-in" skis that get dinged for that.

The negative is the left-right foot specific design. Some folks apparently don't like to look at their skis before clicking in. :duck:
I like the ability to switch skis if one takes a hit to the inside edge. Of course, with the Elans, that happened on the second or third day of skiing. Any other ski and it would simply become the new "outside" edge.

Thank you both for the replies. Looking forward to trying them.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Yeah, I see your point. That happened with the Rangers, but not a big problem for a powder ski.