• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FUN Car Talk, NO EV ALLOWED!!!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sorry, but it's come to this. And if you don't want me raining on your parade don't rain on mine!

How about some early Cobra love to get things started. I always preferred the HiPo 289 version personally but the later car did have a lot of chassis updates.
So I'll take the 427 chassis with the 289 engine please...

Cobra.jpg

1965-shelby-427-cobr-1.jpg

65-Shelby-289-Cobra.jpg

65 427 motor.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I just realized that I posted probably the only Cobra in existence wearing factory cast iron exhaust manifolds...

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm itching to build a Factory Five replica...well either a Cobra or their 33 Hot Rod. I would use a modern Ford powerplant though, probably a 5.0 Coyote, 5.2L Voodoo, or maybe even one of the new 7.3L Godzilla V8s. The 5.2L with the flat plane crank would be pretty cool.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My hubby just saw not 1, but 2 new Ford GTs at our local park yesterday, while on his walk. He said they were very impressive IRL.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm itching to build a Factory Five replica...well either a Cobra or their 33 Hot Rod. I would use a modern Ford powerplant though, probably a 5.0 Coyote, 5.2L Voodoo, or maybe even one of the new 7.3L Godzilla V8s. The 5.2L with the flat plane crank would be pretty cool.

A Factory Five 33 Hot Rod with a 5.2L Voodoo engine.......well, please post pics during the build!

That would be even better than @Doug Briggs wooden topper build thread! ;)

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
My hubby just saw not 1, but 2 new Ford GTs at our local park yesterday, while on his walk. He said they were very impressive IRL.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A Factory Five 33 Hot Rod with a 5.2L Voodoo engine.......well, please post pics during the build!

:(

JK. My brother has a '65 Falcon coupe just waiting to turned into a hot rod. Fortunately it is kept indoors so it won't rust out first.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For the bike guys this battle with Troy Corser on an 89 year old supercharged BMW is epic.
What was he adjusting when he reached his left hand over to the right side?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If you enjoy watching guys driving the wheels off it is hard to beat watching The Goodwood Revival on YouTube.
You can spend hours down this rabbit hole.
Goodwood Revival, Top 5 2019
For the bike guys this battle with Troy Corser on an 89 year old supercharged BMW is epic.
Troy kicks it
And people ask why we take out 50 year old skis.

I love the tap on the pass.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

This is the current toy/project car which we've had since it was new. My wife got it her senior year of high school. The current version has a coyote 5.0L with forged steel crank, billet steel rods, and custom pistons in preparation for the Procharger D1X I have in the garage. When finished it should make somewhere between 750 and 1000 HP at the wheels depending on the pulley size.

Mustang1.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I thought this thread said "fun" car talk. I think he meant "antique" car talk. Yawn.
Nope as long as they are mechanically interesting and FUN to drive.
I like Antique, Classic, Retro, Resto and even newish if they bring something interesting to the table. Sadly though in the last few decades they have all become a little to similar. Appliance like.
Just performance numbers mean nothing to me, it's more about feel and sound.
Do you want to drive it without the sound system on? Is it engaging to drive?

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I thought this thread said "fun" car talk. I think he meant "antique" car talk. Yawn.
Yawn is modern cars with enough electronics that any fool can pretend to know how to drive.
Same is true for modern bikes.
I say no to ABS, all manner of stability controls, launch controls, 5 axis IMU's and all that other electronic nanny stuff.
All that stuff will make those cars junk in 10 or 15 years when no parts are available and nobody can fix it.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
What was he adjusting when he reached his left hand over to the right side?
He was shifting.
I think he crossed over to work the shift lever so he didn't have to let off and lose boost.
Watching him ride that squirrely dog shows just how good the pros are.
The last four laps at last weekend's MotoGP race at Aragon was as good as racing gets.
Marquez v. Bagnina, 5 time world champ v. rookie, 7 pass attempts by Marquez in the last two laps and the rookie for the win.
Big Ones

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s car show weekend in UT. There’s a lot of love for all kinds of cars here, particularly older. Many folks work on their cars all summer and show them in September and October.

There are also drives, one of which I’ll join which runs through Big Cottonwood Canyon.
The leaves are aturnin’, the ski conditioning is kicking into gear and the cars are arumblin’.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is the current toy/project car which we've had since it was new. My wife got it her senior year of high school. The current version has a coyote 5.0L with forged steel crank, billet steel rods, and custom pistons in preparation for the Procharger D1X I have in the garage. When finished it should make somewhere between 750 and 1000 HP at the wheels depending on the pulley size.

View attachment 142464
Are you running on index or just for fun there? Looks like a 10-11 second car?

Sponsor