• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FUN Car Talk, NO EV ALLOWED!!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The first Porsche 991 GT3(2015) was PDK only and only because of high demand(online bitching) in mostly the US that the updated version in 2 years later had the option for standard again. 2/3 of North America spec’d versions in standard after the update which is many times the average for their other models or what they estimated.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The
What fuel injection system does that use?
The throttle bodies appear similar to what the M Power cars use. I don't know what they use in place of a traditional MAS. I see a fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail. Don't know what is the ECU for the system.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has to do with being a MIATA!
I'm sure it is a fun car but call it something else.
It is an MX5. ;) I don't understand why there can't be variations. How many 911 variations are there? I'd much rather have this that the bulbous NC PRHT.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's my fun car. Even after 25 years of ownership, it still puts the biggest of grins on my face.
Still my all-time favorite.

Although old and slow compared to my other cars,
there is something just wonderful and fun about a good old-fashioned
and bare-bones analogue driving experience.
It's been through thick and thin with me, through most of my life defining moments,
and I've crashed it and rebuilt it more times than I care to count.
I'm on my second engine, fifth water pump, third radiator... etc.
Long list. A true keeper!

View attachment 142599 View attachment 142601
The thing I like about the e36 m3 is that you can run it hard through the gears and not be speeding that much. I've done that in a 335 and by the time you're in 3rd gear your over 100mph. Not good in the USA.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a guy in the Boston area who has an extensive collection of micro cars and unique vehicles. A few years ago we got a tour of his collection - it took up 2 warehouses.
CF6A0277-3E11-43E0-97DF-BCE9F8F2E492.jpeg
81FFBD52-8619-4426-8504-30355229EFAB.jpeg
6B96070B-5EF8-4DD4-9189-6FA42AADB836.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone been to the museum in Gateway CO? I drove through there the other day, didn't stop, but it's supposed to be pretty swell.
Yes! We were van touring through the Southwest last fall and just fell into this place. The country around is BEAUTIFUL, but Gateway is one of the most unlikely places ever for this kind of resort and museum. I've been a lot of places, but somehow, when we drove into town, I thought I could hear banjos....

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this qualify as fun? I just drove 3517 miles round trip from WA to CO in my Audi TT Coupe. Wanted to see how it worked as a GT machine. Turned out to be very good, fast when I wanted fast (don't want to say how fast but there were some with 3 figures showing), always a secure drive on varied surfaces and tightness of curves, and surprisingly economical with mileage in the mid to even high 30's. Here's a picture taken at the mid-point of my trip, taken in Meridian Lake Park with a view of Mount Crested Butte.

1632506377943.jpeg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Does this qualify as fun? I just drove 3517 miles round trip from WA to CO in my Audi TT Coupe. Wanted to see how it worked as a GT machine. Turned out to be very good, fast when I wanted fast (don't want to say how fast but there were some with 3 figures showing), always a secure drive on varied surfaces and tightness of curves, and surprisingly economical with mileage in the mid to even high 30's. Here's a picture taken at the mid-point of my trip, taken in Meridian Lake Park with a view of Mount Crested Butte.

View attachment 143040

Looks like a blast, Jack! Great looking car!

What model year and engine?
They are a fun car to drive, great on the highway. My wife and I owned one of the first 2001 225 roadsters sold in New England. So much fun. Should have bought a coupe. We’d still have it! 100% sure of that!

Cheers, and thanks for the post!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a blast, Jack! Great looking car!

What model year and engine?
They are a fun car to drive, great on the highway. My wife and I owned one of the first 2001 225 roadsters sold in New England. So much fun. Should have bought a coupe. We’d still have it! 100% sure of that!

Cheers, and thanks for the post!
The TT Coupe is a 2021 S Line. The body has the TTS wheel "haunches." The seats are the same as those in the TTS; the suspension and driving modes are TTS based; and it has lap counting and timing (which I won't use as I don't do track driving). It does not have the TTS engine which means less horse power and torque. For an old duffer like me the horses available are just fine. When I saw the first TT roadsters I thought one of them would be a great car for my wife -- she was a driver. A few years before she passed away we purchased one and she really enjoyed driving it, as did I. I traded it for a S3 which then was traded for the TT Coupe. We always liked our Audis beginning with a 1982 diesel 4000 sedan. Drove it for many, many miles including trips to Alaska and many trips to Colorado from Washington State.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing I like about the e36 m3 is that you can run it hard through the gears and not be speeding that much. I've done that in a 335 and by the time you're in 3rd gear your over 100mph. Not good in the USA.

Exactly the point of the Too Many Cars Are Too Fast thread.

Could not agree more -- and I sure wish I'd bought an E36 M3 and kept it forever.

But I'm a "station wagon or bigger" guy, so my wallet has remained safe! :ogbiggrin:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the day a buddy of mine got a ticket for reckless driving and they wrote the description as "excess acceleration"..
Can most of us here agree there’s no such thing?

I bought an E46 M3 new back in 2001. After a couple of years I was heading down Golden Lantern in Dana Point when all of a sudden I hear/feel a loud thud and the body twists, descends and pulls to the right as it grinds to a halt. I get out and find the body resting on the tires.

I called the BMW support no. and tell them the frame or unibody failed, send a tow truck. They dismissed my diagnosis as did the tow driver until he got on the ground and took a look. BMW bought the car back and tried to get me to sign a CA but I refused. I was going 30mph so was lucky. What if the next guy is going 80mph when it happens? I wasn’t going to help them cover the problem up.

About a year later I find out BMW sent out recall notices for ALL 3 series of my vintage to replace bolts after having numerous failures. I like to think I was the first one to stress the car enough to make it fail, but I suppose that’s unlikely. Still, one of my favorite cars ever from the metallic exhaust to sport mode with drive by wire throttling and a pretty nice man tran. And those leather seats were some of the best ever. I still miss that car.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.