• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, all of the F1 drivers with DSG transmissions were complaining about the "spongy feel". LOL.
They are too busy dealing with all the porpoises (porpi?) on the track.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"What, you all think porpoises invented jumps and breaches? A blowhole raspberry in all your general directions"

Signed with snort,
Delphinidae

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Today’s regular customer who usually gets one of their Vettes(they have had many!) detailed around this time just before the judged car shows they attend. Has won many awards including “best of show” on his 2002 Z06 and just won a C7 class recently with his 2019 Z06. Did the 2019 Z06 today.

FE9D6DF0-A96A-4D85-A97A-484039EAB388.jpeg

A8FBBB08-EBBD-4AD6-B0D2-BFFF770FDCD0.jpeg

With it’s older 2002 Z06 brother on the lift.

1446178F-9DBF-4B0A-AD3A-A08C329FC191.jpeg

What 650hp looks like

28108A25-EE30-4449-A511-64793358CAAD.jpeg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ethical question - is contracting out your detailing on Concours type vehicles just a form of pay to win? Is the glory not in doing the work yourself?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ethical question - is contracting out your detailing on Concours type vehicles just a form of pay to win? Is the glory not in doing the work yourself?
Some people can't. Some people don't want to. As a mechanic, I don't feel like people should feel compelled to do work on their car.I don't get any glory from doing the dishes... :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most concours details with multi million dollar cars typically get details in the 50-100 plus hour range and there are many detailers specializing in those type of jobs. It’s honestly incredibly rare for those type of car owners to ever touch the car as a professional would be doing any maintenance on them.

This customer actually drives the vehicle for fun often and when they go to shows, they arrive early and they go over the car themselves for an hour before the show starts. Know some shows even have a time max that you can work on it at the show itself.
They do a great job maintaining all year and I just polish it up and vacuum up the 3 crumbs of dirt on the interior once a year. :roflmao:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Most concours details with multi million dollar cars typically get details in the 50-100 plus hour range and there are many detailers specializing in those type of jobs. It’s honestly incredibly rare for those type of car owners to ever touch the car as a professional would be doing any maintenance on them.

This customer actually drives the vehicle for fun often and when they go to shows, they arrive early and they go over the car themselves for an hour before the show starts. Know some shows even have a time max that you can work on it at the show itself.
They do a great job maintaining all year and I just polish it up and vacuum up the 3 crumbs of dirt on the interior once a year. :roflmao:
I have heard that they don't drive them to shows but bring them on a trailer.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Interesting shopping... Rebuilt titles...cars with 7 owners in 3 years ... But that's an easy no. What is hard is saying "No" to a low mileage 50th anniversary Corvette that has never been out of its garage in the rain; this car will live outside in the summer and will be driven, not a museum piece.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have heard that they don't drive them to shows but bring them on a trailer.
I attended a track day at Pocono Raceway when I was active if a Miate club back east. The local Porsche club volunteered to be instructors. My guy showed up with well over .5M of cars. He had a GT2 and his wife had a 911T, both fully race prepped. Both were trailered up by their tech. Then also brought along their own chef to BBQ. They drove up themselves in a brand new Escalate (IIRC).

He took me for a couple of laps in his GT2, it wasn't the speed that car had impressed me but the braking ability.
32F85762-6713-4D9E-A252-721C0C9AB840.jpeg

176E7ABC-97F7-4D4D-ACFE-4890A2FDD549.jpeg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well, if you don't own it now ... you'll only have 13 years to.

I assume everyone on this thread has heard about the new EU vote.

As of 2035, fossil fuel cars are legacy tech.
Didn't realize the EU had so much additional power on tap unused.
We can't even keep it flowing on a hot summer night without regional outages. But supporting even a 20% participation of EV users is completely impossible currently...
But folks don't let facts get in the way of their agendas. Speaking of, the recent SC ruling on the 'power' of the clean air act is a great sign for ICE going forward! The reigns have been pulled in.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is hard is saying "No" to a low mileage 50th anniversary Corvette that has never been out of its garage in the rain; this car will live outside in the summer and will be driven, not a museum piece.

Well, just don't say no! ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
@Francois Pugh, here is a great fun car comparison.

Reading between the lines, I'd probably just buy a standard Mustang GT. Which I would do tomorrow, given a sportwagon or even hatchback option.
If you are thinking about a Mustang have you seen the new E-Mustang? It has a good looking design and it's supposed to be very quick.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@Francois Pugh, here is a great fun car comparison.

Reading between the lines, I'd probably just buy a standard Mustang GT. Which I would do tomorrow, given a sportwagon or even hatchback option.
Yeah, the Mustang GT Premium or Camaro 2SS are the front runners amongst new cars. Up here in Ontar I O, the used car insanity contniues with new cars costing less than 4 year old cars, but you have to wait. Corvettes have always been expensive for a used car, as they tend to hold their value, but they are also usually well kept by festidious owners who barely drive them and don't drive them in winter, and the increase in price hasn't hit them that hard. A used C6 Z51 or Grand Sport is the best bang for the buck in the fun car shopping lottery. Z06 C6 also a good buy - if you can find one that has had the heads fixed (well known problem dropping exhaust valves in the 427). Having had an old Interceptor that had dealers trying to sell me 4 new cams every time I went to a stealership (despite Honda replacing them under warranty), I'm a little leery of buying something with a well-known engine problem.

Sure C7 might be better, but a 2008 and on C6 ticks all my boxes: 400+ HP, check; Rear-whee drive, check; Manual transmission, check. Fairly reliable LS3 engine.

Local dealer doesn't even have a mustang I can test drive to dispell my old fear of the steering feel I still have from my past experience - I feel like if I bought one it would be the death of me, even though much faster hopped-up camaros always felt fine. I don't mind dying, but I don't want to die stupidly.

Given a lot of good experience here with Audi's I have to ask? What do you think the reason is for the money pit reputation of old Audis and BMWs? Bad dealership service, poor owner maintenance? or well deserved?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally got at that 2002 GT2 today that my customer bought a month ago. He said is a “drivers car” as it has no traction control, much lighter than his similar vintage 911 Turbo and just rear wheel drive. Full roll cage and harness.
Already has plans for a stage 1 tune on it

62181887-697F-4562-A38C-D3C1BCF474C1.jpeg
31E41470-7212-4183-9C38-6ACC990591BE.jpeg
4DAA47F9-17D4-4EEC-81CE-38CAC134C8DA.jpeg
F0252DC8-F708-475F-A46C-3DCF9522DF04.jpeg
47BCEF35-0206-4A4A-8C7D-A084FE032BE5.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Finally got at that 2002 GT2 today that my customer bought a month ago. He said is a “drivers car” as it has no traction control, much lighter than his similar vintage 911 Turbo and just rear wheel drive. Full roll cage and harness.
Already has plans for a stage 1 tune on it

View attachment 173193 View attachment 173194 View attachment 173195 View attachment 173196 View attachment 173198
The purists of a modern 911. This is not a "fun" car, a GT2 has absolutely no sense of humor. It is a military trained doberman. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever...