• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Torque gets you there, horsepower keeps you there. I look at torque and where is it produced before I look at horsepower.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I say torque and how the HP is delivered (at what RPM, tire grip) also matters! Though I, personally, couldn't care less about how it sounds. I've never understood people's fascination with that. Some sound better than others, but I don't actually care.

Fair points. Makes me realize that it's as much the feel as it is the sound for me. Nothing feels better than a well-engineered inline 6 -- with perfect balance -- ripping up to redline.

Torque gets you there, horsepower keeps you there. I look at torque and where is it produced before I look at horsepower.

Yup. Most people buy horsepower, and drive torque.

Track guys excepted, I suspect.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
<- grew up in the buy price, drive momentum school :D
This is where a Miata Is Always The Answer. Even as prices of used cars have escalated, Miatas didn't go up at the same pace.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I, personally, couldn't care less about how it sounds. I've never understood people's fascination with that. Some sound better than others, but I don't actually care.
Well, then, to each his own. Ran into a friend over the weekend at a restaurant; he brought his '19 Ferrari 488. 661 hp of twin turbo goodness. Let me drive it and, frankly, the aural sensation was the best part, even better than the acceleration and handling.
Thats also why I prefer aftermarket exhausts to stock on my cars (although in stock form, the Ferrari was more than just fine).

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
In all honesty, chassis balance is the most important thing. Then brake feel then power curve. But balance is number one always. Evil handling cars are zero fun and a misery to drive quickly. Proper suspension and balance is worth more time than gobs of horsepower. Tires too.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me drive it and, frankly, the aural sensation was the best part
See... that seems weird to me. Back in college (mid-'90s), before electric cars were common, one of my friends was talking about how the Virginia Tech solar car didn't make much noise, and how terrible that was in comparison to, say, a 911. And I basically said "I think that's awesome... a silent 911 with current performance would be amazing." I still think that I guess. :)

Now I haven't driven or been in/around too many loud performance cars - just a few. But the loud part always bugged me.

Reactions: tch

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
But the loud part always bugged me.
That's why you have to be more nuanced. Loud for loud's sake (like a Harley on straight pipes) is not so good. Adding an Italian and German flair to the exhaust note can be the cat's meow. Like the Ferrari I mentioned above, or an NA flat six in a GT3. Aural orgasms.
Two of my cars have 4.2 L V8s made in Germany - one has an American made aftermarket exhaust (JHM) and, frankly, it sounds very much like an American made V8. Not the greatest. The other has a German-made exhaust (Capristo), and makes a much more rewarding sound from the very same engine type.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Never thought you'd be in the 'No Replacement for Displacement' camp :D :D

Are you also in the traction management camp?

It's primal. If you don't get it now, there's little chance you ever will - though I do think people who work on cars are more conditioned to listen to them.
Traction management can certainly make driving a fun car dead easy. Back in the day you had to be delicate with your right foot; now you can just floor it and not worry about managing traction, and you get to keep your rear tires. However, I aspire to regain my ability to do without it.

I will readily admit that the Rev limiter has saved a few of my engine once or twice, and I don't want to go without it.

As to lap times and easy of power transmission, it's complicated. A fun car (or bike) that is a beast with a brutal personally can be supremely enjoyable, even if you (or anyone else) would win more races with a smoother more tractable car or bike.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
See... that seems weird to me. Back in college (mid-'90s), before electric cars were common, one of my friends was talking about how the Virginia Tech solar car didn't make much noise, and how terrible that was in comparison to, say, a 911. And I basically said "I think that's awesome... a silent 911 with current performance would be amazing." I still think that I guess. :)
- I too think it's awesome, in theroy, until you're riding along in the non-divided bicycle lane (approaching a funky storm drain taking up 3/4 of the bike lane), or you're the pedestrian crossing a street (and there is a buss stopped at the buss stop creating a blind spot) :(

...and yes, Noise Pollution Sucks, as does inhaling fumes! :(

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
About time for this one again..

The Most Honest Dodge Viper Ad You Will Ever See​

1662502423615.png

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I once lucked out and bought a 2003 E39 M5 stuck-shift from literally “ the little old lady who had an M5 “. She had an AMG M-B as well. I had a Volvo V70 wagon at the time, not looking for a sports sedan , but then a friend mentioned a women in his parents’ condo building was looking to sell one. I went for look, looked great with very low mileage, the asked her how much. Had to have my best poker-face on when she mentioned her low price, containing my excitement. I got it so cheap that I immediately dropped big money on Supersprint headers, Remus exhaust, Shark tune, under-drive pulleys, and some NOS wheels to replace the heavily curb-rashes wheels. That car sounded phenomenal without being garish ! Loved that car, and racked up an additional 120,000 km on it, with no mechanical surprises other than a $600 charge for some ignition wiring that was tucked between the V. Older 5 series were relatively small cars, compared to a current 3 or 5 series.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I once lucked out and bought a 2003 E39 M5 stuck-shift from literally “ the little old lady who had an M5 “. She had an AMG M-B as well. I had a Volvo V70 wagon at the time, not looking for a sports sedan , but then a friend mentioned a women in his parents’ condo building was looking to sell one. I went for look, looked great with very low mileage, the asked her how much. Had to have my best poker-face on when she mentioned her low price, containing my excitement. I got it so cheap that I immediately dropped big money on Supersprint headers, Remus exhaust, Shark tune, under-drive pulleys, and some NOS wheels to replace the heavily curb-rashes wheels. That car sounded phenomenal without being garish ! Loved that car, and racked up an additional 120,000 km on it, with no mechanical surprises other than a $600 charge for some ignition wiring that was tucked between the V. Older 5 series were relatively small cars, compared to a current 3 or 5 series.
That generation M5 is still considered the pinnacle of sport sedans by many. Every generation since has gotten duller and more numb even if the performance numbers went up.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That is up there for the Corolla GR retail with the upper 2 packages but similar to it’s competition I guess.
There are already 500hp plus Yaris GR that run high 10s in the 1/4 mile without an insane amount of mods. Hear the engine is well built so mild to mid tuning wouldn’t require much engine mods.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did a 21 Macan GTS the other day and it’s the customer’s “fun car” to his cottage/chalet in Collingwood. Do 6 plus cars for his family every year and has offered his cottage back bunkie/nanny suite whenever I’m in the area for skiing at Blue Mountain. Will maybe even have parking space in his large heated garage up there!

7A4A596A-2877-4B32-A0F4-75ED0B33DB99.jpeg
2104D29B-01E4-4ED2-B601-C2D44EB4F52B.jpeg

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
Did a 21 Macan GTS the other day and it’s the customer’s “fun car” to his cottage/chalet in Collingwood. Do 6 plus cars for his family every year and has offered his cottage back bunkie/nanny suite whenever I’m in the area for skiing at Blue Mountain. Will maybe even have parking space in his large heated garage up there!

View attachment 177470 View attachment 177471

Wish you were in my area. My 21 GTS has only ever looked that clean the day I picked it up...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid