• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are Car and Driver's Lighting Lap times. The new Type R will be faster. Quite some company for a lowly Civic!

1666918891976.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The Civic Type R's party trick is that in spite of it having a four-cylinder and front wheel drive it will beat your Corvette around a track. :ogbiggrin:

And, it has four doors, a usable back seat, a hatchback, and makes a great ski car.
It might beat MY C6 around a track (but not if I were driving both). I guess I need to upgrade to a Z06 or ZR1. :ogbiggrin:
Nah; mine looks better. I'll just have to make a few upgrades to that 14-year old under-powered (436 HP) LS3 engine.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
From the article posted above:
2023 Honda Civic Type R

Vehicle Type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 4-door hatchback
PRICE
Base: $43,990
ENGINE
turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 122 in3, 1996 cm3
Power: 315 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 2600 rpm
TRANSMISSION
6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS
New Honda Type R:
Wheelbase: 107.7 in
Length: 180.9 in
Width: 74.4 in
Height: 55.4 in
Passenger Volume: 99 ft3
Cargo Volume: 25 ft3
Curb Weight (C/D est): 3200 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST)
60 mph: 5.0 sec
100 mph: 12.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec
Top Speed: 170 mph
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/City/Highway: 24/22/28 mpg

2008 C6
PERFORMANCE
0 to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds
quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph,
Top Speed 190 mph.
It's all true (I'll never tell you how I know).
Other Specs
Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive
2-door, 2-passenger, convertible
power 436 HP
Torque 428 lb-ft
Weight 3262 lbs
Wheel base: 105.7 inches
Cargo volume: 11 cubic feet (two golf bags, but cargo volume is not why you buy a car like this).
Engine: 6.2 L naturally aspirated V8.
Transmission: 6-speed Manual
Fuel Economy: 16/29 mpg (US)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It might beat MY C6 around a track (but not if I were driving both). I guess I need to upgrade to a Z06 or ZR1. :ogbiggrin:
Nah; mine looks better. I'll just have to make a few upgrades to that 14-year old under-powered (436 HP) LS3 engine.
Nitros...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was thinking more like cams and/or supercharger. However, I'm still not bored with 430 hp/3260 lbs, and 190 mph, so that can wait a while. Besides, I'm still getting the feel for the car as is (Stock with factory options including Z51 package).
With a GM 6.2l I would start with a proper tune of the ECU. It probably won't gain you much in absolute HP numbers but the difference will be noticeable behind the wheel. They also usually dial back the electronic nannies significantly, IME.
These guys seem to have a good rep: https://www.championmotors.ca/

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2023 Honda Civic Type R

Vehicle Type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 4-door hatchback
PRICE
Base: $43,990
ENGINE
turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 122 in3, 1996 cm3
Power: 315 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 2600 rpm
TRANSMISSION
6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS
New Honda Type R:
Wheelbase: 107.7 in
Length: 180.9 in
Width: 74.4 in
Height: 55.4 in
Passenger Volume: 99 ft3
Cargo Volume: 25 ft3
Curb Weight (C/D est): 3200 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST)
60 mph: 5.0 sec
100 mph: 12.1 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec
Top Speed: 170 mph
EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/City/Highway: 24/22/28 mpg

2008 C6
PERFORMANCE
0 to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds
quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 116 mph,
Top Speed 190 mph.
It's all true (I'll never tell you how I know).
Other Specs
Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive
2-door, 2-passenger, convertible
power 436 HP
Torque 428 lb-ft
Weight 3262 lbs
Wheel base: 105.7 inches
Cargo volume: 11 cubic feet (two golf bags, but cargo volume is not why you buy a car like this).
Engine: 6.2 L naturally aspirated V8.
Transmission: 6-speed Manual
Fuel Economy: 16/29 mpg (US)
And that's the magic of the Type R. The previous generation beat much more powerful cars on the track, and the new one is even faster.

"This Type R not only destroys every other hot hatch but plenty of past Corvettes, M cars, and Porsches too. It ties the quickest car at our first-ever event, a 2006 Ford GT."

Of course, the CTR was destroyed by a C8, 11-seconds faster!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

And that's the magic of the Type R. The previous generation beat much more powerful cars on the track, and the new one is even faster.

I see the C6 came within 6 km/h of beating a 188 HP Citroen family car. Maybe they've improved it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cue the old Let's Make a Deal show:

Monte, from the Corvette, I'll take the V8 and RWD platform. From the Civic Type R, I'll take the four doors, the four seats, and the hatchback. From the WRX I'll take the AWD.

In any case, keep all the automatic transmissions. In fact, burn them with fire!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Cue the old Let's Make a Deal show:

Monte, from the Corvette, I'll take the V8 and RWD platform. From the Civic Type R, I'll take the four doors, the four seats, and the hatchback. From the WRX I'll take the AWD.

In any case, keep all the automatic transmissions. In fact, burn them with fire!
Yes, for an all-purpose one car, but for a quiver spot, as a fun driver's car, all you need is the power and control.

Speaking of which, I have to wonder about horses for courses. Some cars would get better times on tight courses, other cars would do better on courses with more high-speed corners and fewer slow ones. One has to wonder if the perfect "Nurburgring" car is the best car for other places (I can't tell you what places :ogbiggrin: ).

Also might mention, although some Corvette driver's might be ashamed to admit it. The 2008 Corvette with all the computer nannies onboard is very easy to drive fast; any unskilled driver can make decent time in it. Sure, progressively turning them off will result in better and better times for a better driver, but you don't have to be the Stig to have fun with it.

Also, PSA, driving the Corvette on public roads the way it can be driven, even safely driven, will get you arrested. Just rowing through the gears on a straight empty open road is highly illegal; top of third gear (out of six) is about 11 mph more than it takes to get you a stunt driving charge in Ontario Canada (max fine $10,000, car impounded, Driver's license lost).

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, for an all-purpose one car, but for a quiver spot, as a fun driver's car, all you need is the power and control.

Speaking of which, I have to wonder about horses for courses. Some cars would get better times on tight courses, other cars would do better on courses with more high-speed corners and fewer slow ones. One has to wonder if the perfect "Nurburgring" car is the best car for other places (I can't tell you what places :ogbiggrin: ).

Also might mention, although some Corvette driver's might be ashamed to admit it. The 2008 Corvette with all the computer nannies onboard is very easy to drive fast; any unskilled driver can make decent time in it. Sure, progressively turning them off will result in better and better times for a better driver, but you don't have to be the Stig to have fun with it.

Also, PSA, driving the Corvette on public roads the way it can be driven, even safely driven, will get you arrested. Just rowing through the gears on a straight empty open road is highly illegal; top of third gear (out of six) is about 11 mph more than it takes to get you a stunt driving charge in Ontario Canada (max fine $10,000, car impounded, Driver's license lost).
We got pulled over in the 2002 Corvette for 10 over on US 93 in Nevada. Airplane got us. Didn't protest too much because previously (don't remember if earlier on this trip) we have gone 170 on that road.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I seem to notice a lot of unmarked, and "greyed out" ghost cars following me around at a discrete distance when I'm behaving myself. That never happened with the Mazda 3. Eventually they pass me. It seems like they are just waiting for me to speed. Maybe they just like looking at the car?
20220820_122853.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't want a sleeper Honda even if it is legit. I'll take a cool looking mediocre performing 2 door ride over a 4 door sedan that pulls 11s. But then I don't have young kids and sports coaching scout leader duties anymore.. Back then sure... give me the sick grocery getter..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Also, PSA, driving the Corvette on public roads the way it can be driven, even safely driven, will get you arrested.

dude I can get arrested in a diesel I-mark

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of which, I have to wonder about horses for courses. Some cars would get better times on tight courses, other cars would do better on courses with more high-speed corners and fewer slow ones.

So true. I've got (very limited) experience with two Oregon courses: Portland International Raceway and Grass Valley. SO different, and each suited best to a different type of car.

Also might mention, although some Corvette driver's might be ashamed to admit it. The 2008 Corvette with all the computer nannies onboard is very easy to drive fast; any unskilled driver can make decent time in it.

Too easy? Sell that Vette and find yourself a Viper!

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I seem to notice a lot of unmarked, and "greyed out" ghost cars following me around at a discrete distance when I'm behaving myself.

And this surprises you how, exactly?! You did choose a RED Corvette convertible! :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And this surprises you how, exactly?! You did choose a RED Corvette convertible! :roflmao:

Honestly, when I read that, I flashed to that old Roadkill show where they drive an Aventador and a rat rod side by side - and only the dudes even look at the Lambo. The girls are all squee over the undriveable, overheating, massively unsafe rustbox...

What does that tell us about @Ghost's fan club :ogbiggrin: :geek: :ogbiggrin::geek:

Sponsor

Staff online