• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
So true. I've got (very limited) experience with two Oregon courses: Portland International Raceway and Grass Valley. SO different, and each suited best to a different type of car.

Too easy? Sell that Vette and find yourself a Viper!

And this surprises you how, exactly?! You did choose a RED Corvette convertible! :roflmao:
It's actually going to take me quite a while to feel comfy with the computer Nannies turned all the way off; the wheel base is just a little bit shorter that I would like, and as the song goes, "I ain't as good as I once was."
I don't get enough practice (I'm trying to keep my license and no race track near by).

As to the red, my first contender was a blend into the background silver-grey one, and a blue one but those owners didn't seem keen on letting my mechanic have a look at it. Then there was a black one with a loud-all-the time Borla exhaust (which would get annoying when on a long highway trip), a couple of Z06s, but still with original heads and valve guides (a known problem) or a lot of work done by someone I know nothing about, then a black Indy 500 Edition, but the dealer sold it before I could take it for a test drive. After test driving this one, I was not going to let it get away. I didn't even haggle over the asking price.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I'll leave this right here... Looks like he liked silver..

I'd take the split-window vette, if the lottery ticket I didn't buy came in big!

Shoot, I'd take a drumstick from NP -- a friend has two, the bastid!

"I ain't as good as I once was."

I usually go with "I ain't as good as I once thought I was". ;)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd take the split-window vette, if the lottery ticket I didn't buy came in big!

Shoot, I'd take a drumstick from NP -- a friend has two, the bastid!

;)
One of my friends had one briefly. Original numbers matching 327/4speed. He bought it with the intention of actually driving it around regularly but the realities of driving a 50+ year old car set in so he sold it to a dealer at a significant profit. The dealer marked it up another $30k-$40k and listed it on ebay. Not sure where it ended up but someone probably bought it for a lot more in the recent frenzy.
ETA pictures:
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's actually going to take me quite a while to feel comfy with the computer Nannies turned all the way off; the wheel base is just a little bit shorter that I would like, and as the song goes, "I ain't as good as I once was."
I don't get enough practice (I'm trying to keep my license and no race track near by).

As to the red, my first contender was a blend into the background silver-grey one, and a blue one but those owners didn't seem keen on letting my mechanic have a look at it. Then there was a black one with a loud-all-the time Borla exhaust (which would get annoying when on a long highway trip), a couple of Z06s, but still with original heads and valve guides (a known problem) or a lot of work done by someone I know nothing about, then a black Indy 500 Edition, but the dealer sold it before I could take it for a test drive. After test driving this one, I was not going to let it get away. I didn't even haggle over the asking price.
There was a book a while back titled "All Corvettes are Red." It was about the development of the C5 IIRC.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Not all, but some.
I had a 69 ragtop in the 80's and I sold it to eat in college, should have just lost the weight. 350/300 m21
vetteapt2.jpg

After I sold it, I told myself I would get another. I bought a nice chunk of land, built a house, paid it off, funded retirement, paid a large chunk of 3 kids college...... it was time. Today was the day.
oct20222.jpg

Numbers matching 350/350 M21 convertible with the hard top included. Dont have the plates for it yet, but she growls. Will she get beat from the light by some of the computers on wheels? Yep. But when China EMPs us, I will be searching for food in style. In the meantime its a 69 ragtop C3....

As to an automatic in a sports car, let up paraphrase The great sage Topper... “My father used to say an automatic in a sports car is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail, with a blouse full of goodies, but... it's just illegal. Then you get into that whole inbred thing. Kids with no teeth who do nothing but play the banjo... eat apple sauce through a straw... pork farm animals.”

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"All Corvettes are Red."
Not in Bronco's Country. I saw this orange ZO6 at Discount Tire the other day. Note the matching orange Bronco's license plates. :ogbiggrin:

original_77fab4ae-70ef-4793-8fd4-3bbd761c774c_PXL_20221028_195715040_2.jpg

I assume he's swapping for winter tires. Holy crap are they expensive.

What tires do you put on a car with super car performance for the winter?

1667149081706.png

1667149119424.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is it they say? If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Everything's expensive on a Corvette. Previous owner paid about $800. to change the oil-pan gasket. Apparently a lot of parts had to be removed and re-installed to do the job, as they were in the way. The Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4 are worth the price difference, so are the summer-only 4S. I haven't tried the Alpin.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know, right?

I mean spend all that money on the Vette and someone else with minimal tread 3PMSFs will still slide their dinged up rustbucket right into it.
That and depending upon locale winter abuse can outweigh the grins. In a week or two my little one gets limited to oil churning duty until March or April.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ultimate but slightly impractical ski car?

You had me at "red, forged tow hooks".

And less than a quarter mil, to boot!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Everything's expensive on a Corvette. Previous owner paid about $800. to change the oil-pan gasket. Apparently a lot of parts had to be removed and re-installed to do the job, as they were in the way. The Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4 are worth the price difference, so are the summer-only 4S. I haven't tried the Alpin.
@bbinder and I were just talking how reasonable Miatas even for racing were to own and operate.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
With a GM 6.2l I would start with a proper tune of the ECU. It probably won't gain you much in absolute HP numbers but the difference will be noticeable behind the wheel. They also usually dial back the electronic nannies significantly, IME.
These guys seem to have a good rep: https://www.championmotors.ca/
These really don't need a tune. they are brutally fast as is.

IMG_1906.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
This popped up on youtube. Crazy fast.
Kubica went to rally from F1, supposedly had signed with Ferrari when he was severely injured in a rally accident.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
He was moonlighting in rally while driving in F1 when he severed his right hand. They subsequently reattached it and the claw was born. He was and still is a wonderful driver. People said he shouldn't have been doing rally. However, I think it's great. He's a real racer, like Gilles Villeneuve or Valentino Rossi..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid