• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont think there is a car more fun than this. What other car goes 0-60 second in less than 4 seconds and can use NJ barriers as jumps?

Change my mind ;)

I love the brief instant where the driver calmly reaches up and adjusts his glasses while airborne.

KInd of like a motocross racer pulling a tear off on an 80-foot double jump!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That Supra speaking of chassis sharing is just a BMW Z4 with turbo boost turned down and styling changes. Boost turned down so the power isn’t as high as the more expensive Z4 but like any turbo car, it’s a simple Ecu tune from becoming as powerful/even more powerful than the Z4 in stock tune. Even though is “supposed” to be 335hp, the Supra on the dyno is showing around 380hp and a tune will get you even more.

Did you see the Supra beat the Z4 and did a 12.0 quarter mile stock?

I have to say I've become enamored with the Supra. Sure sounds like a fun car.

I've never wanted to own a BMW because of the reliability and image. The Supra might just sneak me around those hang-ups. It will be interesting to see see how much impact Toyota has on reliability. Here's hoping there's a manual in the future, though based on the reviews I could live with the automatic. I'd still like a manual.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did you see the Supra beat the Z4 and did a 12.0 quarter mile stock?

I have to say I've become enamored with the Supra. Sure sounds like a fun car.

I've never wanted to own a BMW because of the reliability and image. The Supra might just sneak me around those hang-ups. It will be interesting to see see how much impact Toyota has on reliability. Here's hoping there's a manual in the future, though based on the reviews I could live with the automatic. I'd still like a manual.

Have seen that video as well as a few dynos of both cars. So much for Toyota turning down the boost as they said they would! Lol
They are getting very similar results on the dyno so both are underestimating their power with both putting down the 370hp range at the wheels/410 bhp and wheel torque in the 425 range. Supra is just underestimated more than BMW.

More telling of power in that video is the rolling race as 1/4 miles/0-60 times depend on traction etc. The MPH of the quarter mile is more telling of power or doing a rolling start takes out wheel spin issues to again show true power. The Supra is supposed to be 100 lbs heavier yet it still pulls strongly on that Z4. Be interesting to weight/dyno those two cars that day to see the results but that Supra is definitely making more power.

An Ecu tune and no hardware changes will take that engine near the 500hp range without issue which would make the Supra a MONSTER!

Prefer standard transmissions too but the new autos are so much faster shifting, have more gears to better put you in the power band and get better fuel economy. Standard transmissions are becoming more and more rare so I wouldn’t be holding out for a standard on that car.

That BMW engine is very good reliability wise(as is their B48 turbo 2.0 L) and yes, you wouldn’t get the BMW snob factor in a Supra. Haha

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Going back to the OP the Boss Mustang would hands down win the cool factor but a new Mustang GT is ridiculously fast, you can drive it across country in comfort, and the aftermarket support is limited only by your finances. I'm probably a bit biased when it comes to Mustangs though.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 13

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
^FTW

I owned 2 WRX's & now a Golf R...

View attachment 67983
Funnest car I've ever driven :ogcool:

I've been through a stack of performance vehicles, from WRX, STI, GTI to Porsche 911's, 944T, and Cayman S.

Currently my two more performance vehicles are a GTI Driver's Edition, and Audi SQ5. Both are phenomenal ski vehicles, with the GTI definitely being more fun to drive. While the Audi is faster, it doesn't feel fast when swaddled in soundproofing and leather. It is, however, a much more comfortable road tripping vehicle.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Detailed some fun and unique cars the last few days and thought of this thread.

2019 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS with 7 speed standard transmission to keep it old school. Gorgeous car!
0368EE5D-E743-4AD0-9365-ABF15AB76DF2.jpeg
DD10C7FF-4A43-44C9-B107-BE1E17652444.png

2015 BMW i8
Lots of carbon fiber used in this funky hybrid that’s a little more fun to drive than a Prius....

008DF5D3-57B6-420B-8BB9-3A0FE71FD12E.jpeg
E5C7062E-8C8D-4FB2-9922-5D365450FC60.png

Older Mustang with the most color faded single stage(no clear coat) paint I’ve ever seen. 9 hours later, it looks like a different car. The customer paid only $5300 CAN for this car as it “needed to be repainted” according to the seller.
Now it’s a fun, good looking car for not much money.

Hood before with some “test areas” to see what compound/polish worked best.
E5FD1B38-78FF-4EBE-AA21-C56270CDA0F8.jpeg

After
713B5FF9-F4BC-4D46-9311-9484637046C8.jpeg

Before

Notice the repainted rear bumper that looks like a different color than the original paint.

40C09C8E-F682-468A-9253-7088884BC900.jpeg

After

D3CF7578-D7C4-4FD3-AE47-B88F1476FC3A.jpeg

Attachments

• AFCF0BF2-BE63-47E2-9E4A-0E0272D5F859.jpeg
    AFCF0BF2-BE63-47E2-9E4A-0E0272D5F859.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 8

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are few of my favorite 2020 Supra videos from my binge-watching over the weekend. It's an incredibly capable car stock.

While they are similar in price, I can see daily driving the Supra but not the C8 Corvette. Also, the Supra reminds me of my old 79 RX-7... and I'm not Magnum PI. ogsmile

Hopefully, the Supra has something near Toyota reliability or can be incrementally improved over the first few years. I've got a while until I don't need a back seat.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a G37 6MT Sedan to replace my G35 Sedan if it ever dies. I don't like how the new Infiniti's drive, so looking for another RWD G. I've been having fun driving the G35 through the summer without the snow tires and still love the car. It's a fast, fun and a very reliable car. RX-7, Integra, G35, then a G37 followed by a Supra would nicely round out my fun car resume!

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Have you ever heard one of these? Simply an amazing symphony of sound.
Just pulling out of the parking lot. I can only imagine.
It is just such a gorgeous instrument. Why wouldn’t it sound sublime?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
the duk was a fantastic slow drive, best with the top down, a bottle of wine and a nice french girl in south France
Cant imagine taking it racing. I always though those flapping fenders would make it airborn over 50k, if they didn't fall off first.
but certainly memorable.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I'd tried 40mph, our bodies would still be in the sea somewhere between Marseille and Cassis

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just watched a new Supra video where they upgraded the turbo, the intake system, dropped the exhaust and then did an Ecu tune to get 533hp at the wheels!
The car ran high tens at 128mph in the 1/4 mile which is similar time/speed to a Hellcat. Impressive!

Sponsor

Staff online