• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
This thread started with cars like the GTI or Golf R and that’s what I did today-2019 Golf R with standard transmission and only about 12k km/7.5k miles.
The customer who has the 21 Macan GTS last week also had a 2019 Golf R before that.

BB61C4D4-5892-49AA-9FA8-BA598E786F0E.jpeg
7B020434-235C-4F6E-909B-D5B10A69AFD8.jpeg
DFB51E4F-2F6C-4AD5-AFBC-882D8DD3671E.jpeg

People commenting on the clean garages I usually experience and chuckled when even their fishing rod collection is organized nicely. Doing his 23’ Boston Wailer tomorrow.

7447FE49-EFEC-4A11-8742-AEAC0A6856B2.jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
PSA
If you recently purchased an old Corvette, you may think that driving it in "Competitive Driving Mode" is saving your rear tires via some form of traction control, because there is another setting that tells you traction control is off. However, as explained on page 4-9 of the owner's manual (pretty far into it), when in "Competitive Driving Mode" the "traction control system" is not on, but the "Active Handling System" is on, and assistance comes in the form of selective brake application (without the throttle and timing reduction). Effectively, you are wearing out your brakes AND your rear tires while flooring it in 2nd.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA
If you recently purchased an old Corvette, you may think that driving it in "Competitive Driving Mode" is saving your rear tires via some form of traction control, because there is another setting that tells you traction control is off. However, as explained on page 4-9 of the owner's manual (pretty far into it), when in "Competitive Driving Mode" the "traction control system" is not on, but the "Active Handling System" is on, and assistance comes in the form of selective brake application (without the throttle and timing reduction). Effectively, you are wearing out your brakes AND your rear tires while flooring it in 2nd.
None of that stuff works on my 2002 anyway. Had the EBCM repaired once, good for a few years, then started throwing an unrepairable code.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
The jury is still out on what saves the rear tires more: "traction control and active handling" ; "competitive driving mode"; or, "traction control off" . Just when I thought it was the first one, I managed to use up some rubber while actively handling the steering wheel with alacrity to keep the car heading straight as I dropped the hammer in second and left more rubber on the road than I had planned to. This after turning the system back on because I was annoyed at the constant snakes following car warning light. Gotta find out how to turn that light out. Back to the manual.

At least when the system is off, you know to be gentle with the throttle.

BTW, I have had the car for a week and I still have my license. ;)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
^^^ Arrest Me Red FTW!!!
I'm really beginning to like the colour.
The '72 is my brother's current toy, full off-frame restoration. Engine is 350 bored 30 over, with hooker headers feeding straight into the side pipes. Three speed automatic, no clutch pedal, but you still need to shift it if you want the lower gears. Manual choke, pretty wild cam, and I forget the carbs. Has a beastly personality. Mine is more refined: you need to floor mine at 3500 rpm to make it act beastly.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK can buff that right out.... :roflmao:
I think there was some DIY body work done before I got there, so might it need a bit of touch up paint too…..haha

Reminds me of a time years ago when someone called me up and asked “where I could buy clear coat?” for his car. Thought in my mind “this is going to be interesting why he’s asking”…..

Turns out his son used the green kitchen scrub pad on bug and bird pop marks on about 10 spots his black car. Looked like it was freckled when I showed up! Wet sand and polish and they luckily weren’t too deep. Think I’ve had about 4 “family members using green scrub pads” over the years. :eek:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, what is that? An old 1200? Size and shape look right but the tailights have that 610ish square in chrome bubble shape? Except there's only 2 of them per side?

There's rust. there's Datsun rust, and then there's New England Datsun rust - @GregK is better than all of them :roflmao:
This was taken in Cape Town so it is not even close to Nee England rust.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It feels like Christmas Eve. My car is in Cheyenne, and delivery is scheduled for the morning. :ogbiggrin:

G35-Shipping-Photo.jpeg

IMHO, you should do that. Fly out in the AM, have the dealer pick you and you drive it back, it will be a great drive, especially this time of year. IMHO much nicer than the one I did.
I was fully onboard with your road trip plan but couldn't pull away for two days, as much as I would have loved the drive. Just too much going on.

Shipping was right at a dollar/mile. I would have saved about half that after the flight, gas, and hotel if I drove it back.

One upside of having it shipped is I will have the 90K service done immediately, which will double-check if anything was missed on the PPI, and it will have all the fluids changed before putting miles on it.

I've never bought a car sight unseen, and I'm hoping for the best! :crossfingers:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It feels like Christmas Eve. My car is in Cheyenne, and delivery is scheduled for the morning. :ogbiggrin:

Fantastic! Looking forward to reports after delivery and driving.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw this today while getting my oil changed. Looks like it could be fun, until the chin spoiler bites the dust!

IMG_1200.JPG

Funny thing is that Ford inventory is so low that the most prominently displayed cars at this Ford dealership were GM: This corvette and a cherry Chevelle SS with a 396 and :(:(:( and slushbox trans!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Attachments

• velocity_classics_f-250_0011.jpg
    velocity_classics_f-250_0011.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 3

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online