• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Funky Head e-Rally Base Grind Structure

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
I just purchased a pair of the new 2020 Head e-Rally (177cms) - absolutely love this ski! It is very versatile for a front-side ski - helpful for me as an instructor.
Question - the e-Rally comes from the factory with a very unique base grind - the middle 2/3's of the base have a very heavy raised structure and the outside's of the ski base are flat and smooth with virtually no structure. Does anyone know what the purpose is of this style of structure?? How does it affect ski performance? What happens down the road when I ultimately need a new stone grind??
Cheers,

Matt

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does it look something like this?
20210107_165052.jpg

I think the machine only gets so wide. With a new grind you'll have to get a new structure. It helps with movement of water under the ski and improves glide.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Structure in the middle and flat on the edges - the That is called a margin grind. Very normal for skis nowadays.

There are bunch of threads on base structures.
Here is one on that specific type of grind.

Most of the shops with the new computerized grinding machine can work up very similar structures.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think...the fine grind on the edges is for max speed when the skis are on edge. The coarse grind in the middle is for suction reduction when the skis are flat on wet snow--you know, when you enter the dreaded Glue Zone.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I re-ground the structure as it's a bit too aggressive to let the ski swim a bit when running straight, and to predictably and consistently move sideways when needed. Edges were set at 1 and 3. Skis MUCH better than out of the wrapper. This is a really good, versatile ski that's by and large flying well under the radar.

TS
S

SKIDADL

Booting up
Skier
Structure in the middle and flat on the edges - the That is called a margin grind. Very normal for skis nowadays.

There are bunch of threads on base structures.
Here is one on that specific type of grind.

Most of the shops with the new computerized grinding machine can work up very similar structures.

Thanks for the response . Yes - indeed - the structure on the e-Rally looks similar to the pics in the link -
Your explanations are helpful.
Appreciate the input guys!!

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Also you don’t want structure in the metal edges. Bad for speed and bad for the stone doing the grinding.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also you don’t want structure in the metal edges. Bad for speed and bad for the stone doing the grinding.

Lack of speed would be the least of my worries if the base edges have structure on them. Not much of an issue in loose snow. Only thought in my mind at the end of turn into transition on hard pack is "I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!"

Don't ask me how I know. Ask @Lady_Salina .

Sponsor

Staff online