• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
wish-list-pugski-petersen-slider-jpg.53336

All I have to say is: That's some really fine penmanship there, Phil. Or is that Dave's work too?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like a Nordica Navigator 85+, use the Navigator mold but the enforcer construction... and add a bit extra. I'd like a mid-width all-mountain ski with more beef than the 98/100 ski instead of a lower performance. Harder snow-> narrower ski-> more beef, not less. Why is this hard?

To digress, I demoed the Navigator 85 for a day and a half at A-Basin and loved it. But the only ice I skied was coral reef, which is hard to interpret. What does it do on real ice?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here is what I'd like to see. Screw graphics, screw the "technology", screw all the gimmicks. Give me a ski DESIGNED for low snow conditions that we are seeing more and more out west. Give me a ski that I can run through a thinly covered scree field, or take a stump shot, or even ski through a patch of dirt without needing massive tuning afterward. Sacrifice a little performance and give us a ski that is designed to take a real beating in ANY conditions and last for a long time.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To digress, I demoed the Navigator 85 for a day and a half at A-Basin and loved it. But the only ice I skied was coral reef, which is hard to interpret. What does it do on real ice?

Are you really mdf? Anyway, I'm glad you liked the navigator. I can see you on that ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is what I'd like to see. Screw graphics, screw the "technology", screw all the gimmicks. Give me a ski DESIGNED for low snow conditions that we are seeing more and more out west. Give me a ski that I can run through a thinly covered scree field, or take a stump shot, or even ski through a patch of dirt without needing massive tuning afterward. Sacrifice a little performance and give us a ski that is designed to take a real beating in ANY conditions and last for a long time.

If Line did a modern Mothership. You could contact Mad Russian, fhe makes a ball-peen hammer type skis.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Everyone's definition of what a good "low snow" ski is differs. But if you are primarily concerned with durability there are skis you can buy that by design are likely to last longer. Harder bases, thicker bases, thicker edges, beefy cores. Many manufacturers do not disclose these things, but ones who care about building the beefiest skis do. On3p probably tops the list with 1.8mm thick, 4001 Durasurf bases and 2.5mm thick edges. J Skis is next with 1.8mm, 4001 Durasurf bases and 2.2mm thick edges.

Most manufacturers use 1.3mm bases. Durasurf bases are slightly harder but slower than most the Euro-base manufacturers (Isosport or Okulen). High-carbon version bases are a bit softer than standard versions, but also faster. 2000-series bases are softer than 4000-series and so forth. etc.

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everyone's definition of what a good "low snow" ski is differs. But if you are primarily concerned with durability there are skis you can buy that by design are likely to last longer. Harder bases, thicker bases, thicker edges, beefy cores. Many manufacturers do not disclose these things, but ones who care about building the beefiest skis do. On3p probably tops the list with 1.8mm thick, 4001 Durasurf bases and 2.5mm thick edges. J Skis is next with 1.8mm, 4001 Durasurf bases and 2.2mm thick edges.

Most manufacturers use 1.3mm bases. Durasurf bases are slightly harder but slower than most the Euro-base manufacturers (Isosport or Okulen). High-carbon version bases are a bit softer than standard versions, but also faster. 2000-series bases are softer than 4000-series and so forth. etc.

I want a ski that will ski borderline viable conditions without getting rekt. I'm talking about the kind of conditions where you have enough snow to rip but you have to slow down every time you hear your ski scrape a rock because you don't want to destroy $1200 worth of equipment. There are purpose built park skis that are really durable so how about an off piste all mountain ski that is built for crap conditions? Ski bros would buy it, so would I. Candide would be a team rider.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If they built them that tough they would be out of business before you needed a second pair.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
. There are purpose built park skis that are really durable so how about an off piste all mountain ski that is built for crap conditions?

Thing is -- there aren't really "purpose built park skis". There are lots of skis advertised as such. But the most durable park skis are simply made from the most durable materials that are in a bunch of other skis: high density sintered bases, thick edges, solid cores.

The basic limits of durability are mostly edges and bases. You need to either make them harder (to withstand more) or thicker (to have more room for hits). In either case, a manufacturer would have to do a custom run of materials that aren't available regularly. And the number of manufacturers that supply the world's top-quality bases and edges is maybe...5 or 6 combined. The economies of scale to build even burlier off-piste skis is hard, they'd cost more, you'd sell less, and they wouldn't feel as good demoing (heavier, damper, slower).

There are skis that are built burlier than most skis for off piste skiing. Mostly American indie brands whose real value proposition is durability (on3p, moment, j skis, praxis, icelantic) compared to the high research-focused Euro brands who are much more dialed in refined designs but don't focus as much on durability (think the novel things Atomic/Salomon are doing with lightweight skis, Rossi and Heads composites, Blizzards refined construction etc).

Anywho, I've drank a lot of wine. 'Nough ski construction talk.

But really, if you want some uber durable skis, try some that are made to be more durable from the get-go. You're not going to get harder or thicker bases and edges than On3p or JSkis.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

So you want some GRAVES then. But they are so stiff you'll have to phone in a reservation in advance for a turn....

But I guarantee you will never get a core shot, because there is no core. The entire ski except for base and edges is a homogeneous molded fiberglass beam. And skis like one.

GravesSkiAd.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got thoroughly confused with the Blizzard Black Diamond suggestion, mostly because Blizzard already makes Black Diamonds skis.. and then I understood what you were actually writing.

Blue to Black Forza Pivot 14 would be nice, it would match two pairs of my current skis.

I'm impressed each year with the advancement and improvement in technology in skiing, so I really don't have much on my wish list for the future because I like the surprise each year of new and better (?) things.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have a wishlist of my own...

- A lighter 100 mm one-ski-quiver that rails hardpack as well. A modern day Blizzard Kabooki or Nordica Hell & Back. Something a bit less 'tank' than the Bonafide or Enforcer 100 for finesse skiers.
- A ~88 mm lightweigt allmountain ski with the performance of the Kendo, but the weight of a touring ski. (basically: a goood touring ski that is damp and powerful enough for heavy or bad snow)

Other than that, I am pretty happy with current and past (but still available) products.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a wishlist of my own...

- A lighter 100 mm one-ski-quiver that rails hardpack as well. A modern day Blizzard Kabooki or Nordica Hell & Back. Something a bit less 'tank' than the Bonafide or Enforcer 100 for finesse skiers.
Armada Tracer98
Atomic Vantage 97c
Volkl 90Eight

- A ~88 mm lightweigt allmountain ski with the performance of the Kendo, but the weight of a touring ski. (basically: a goood touring ski that is damp and powerful enough for heavy or bad snow)

Other than that, I am pretty happy with current and past (but still available) products.
Armada Tracer88