• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA FYI - Liberty VMT skis on sale for $199 w/ free ship. Good sizes.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just took mine in to get mounted, and the bases need a lot of work (edge-high, which is surprising).

I just dropped mine off to get mounted and I asked that the bases be checked out. The person who was filling out my paperwork said, "Skis from the factory already come with a good tune. There shouldn't be a problem." I told her to note it on the form anyway.

I got a call about an hour later from a different person saying that the ski was base-high. I told them to go ahead and give them a tune. I'm hoping that the form-filler-outer isn't the same person that is going to work on the skis.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOL. Pretty much verbatim what the guy at my shop said. I asked him to check the bases nevertheless. I was right (something that happens all too rarely); he was wrong.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I skied my Evolv90s right out of the box, and they skied like a dream.
When I get them on the bench, I will take a closer look, but I was quite pleased. And, by the way, that was on very firm snow (by Colorado standards).
I have nothing to complain about for $199. :daffy:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is another really nice ski at a great price. They also have the Alchemist version.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does one need a special tool for checking base flatness? Perhaps there is a short cut to check? I do my own waxing and edge touch-ups but don't have any experience checking out skis from the manufacturer. I'd appreciate any advice.
@AmyPJ is your hubby still doing tuning at Diamond Peaks?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does one need a special tool for checking base flatness? Perhaps there is a short cut to check? I do my own waxing and edge touch-ups but don't have any experience checking out skis from the manufacturer. I'd appreciate any advice.
A straight straight edge set from edge to edge will let you see. Light under it in the middle is edge high, light on the edges is base high. No light is flat. Check along the length of the ski.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, he is still there and might be there Monday night, if not he won’t be until next Saturday.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
@AmyPJ Cool. I'm not looking for some kind of deal, but I know you have said he is highly experienced and I'd like to have someone with knowledge tuning a new ski to specs (1:3), de tune to contact area on tips, good structure for Powder Mountain "hardback" etc.
I got lucky two years ago with my new Fischer Ranger 98's because Josh took care of them for me.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Perhaps there is a short cut to check?
You might notice some problem areas when you're scraping wax? This can be an indication.
A proper "true bar" is the best inspection tool. Trick is, they're sold in many different shapes and thicknesses. A thin true-bar will be very "critical" of the condition of the ski (it will let more light through). A thick true-bar will be more flattering, and only highlight significant problem areas. You can drive yourself nuts here, but it is worth acknowledging that your edge tuning guides are calibrated to a flat ski base.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might notice some problem areas when you're scraping wax? This can be an indication.
A proper "true bar" is the best inspection tool. Trick is, they're sold in many different shapes and thicknesses. A thin true-bar will be very "critical" of the condition of the ski (it will let more light through). A thick true-bar will be more flattering, and only highlight significant problem areas. You can drive yourself nuts here, but it is worth acknowledging that your edge tuning guides are calibrated to a flat ski base.
Another spot you might notice a problem is with the iron. If only the wax in the middle of the ski is melting after a pass or two you may be base high. You may also feel the iron dragging on the edges if the edges are a bit high. Of course that could also be burrs.

rjski

Booting up
Skier
DPS Alchemist Cassiar A82
is on sale too, I got my v76 but having a spare 82 would be nice as well. Anyone tried before?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Don't be fooled that you have to purchase a ski tru bar either. Woodworking and machinist have had flatter and straighter instruments before the ski industry. A really good square will work too.

Agree, or a $5 "ruler". Depends on your fussiness and what you intend to do should it be flat enough to not show up to your eye with a ruler, but some discrepancies show up under a truebar. Are you going to do something different if it passes a cheap test, but fails that tighter test?

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good point, Ray. I just don't want them to be so far off as to affect how they are supposed to ski. I've only demo'd one ski with a truly lousy tune and it was enough to not trust my impressions, hence it was crossed off my list.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Another PSA for the folks picking up these Liberty skis on the cheap. You saved a lot of money, take some of it and get them tuned..

No brand new ski that has come off a mass manufacturing assembly line is perfectly tuned. I was reminded of that once again today while prepping a brand new pair of skis. Base flatness is the least of your worries. The bigger concern is that their finishing processes NEVER handle the most critical edge bevels along the widest points of the tips and tails. These areas where there is upturn in the ski profile are under-beveled. Every ski I've ever hand-tuned straight out of the wrapper has never been correct in probably the most critical areas when it comes to how the ski is going to perform.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My V82's arrived yesterday. The skis were in their shrink-wrap and held together by three heavy rubber bands, packing paper around tips and tails. They survived the 2200 mile journey just fine!

I took a quick look at the bases, and was pleased that they looked "as good" as they did. Meaning that I don't think that they will need a lot of material removed to get them right. They are close. I'm going to have them set up by one of the guys that I use, the one here in Massachusetts. He's very good. It may sound nuts to be paying him close to $200 to do the base prep {which obviously includes setting the base bevels and side edges as well flattening and structuring the base}, mount plates and bindings and torque test them....on a whopping $199 ski purchase. But, I have not skied a single ski right out of the wrapper without doing this in about 35 years. Maybe longer. As @Noodler says it's really rare NOT to need some work. So I just do it. Then I'll feed them a lot of wax.

Hope that I get these set up and get to try them fairly soon!

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It may sound nuts to be paying him close to $200 to do the base prep {which obviously includes setting the base bevels and side edges as well flattening and structuring the base}, mount plates and bindings and torque test them....on a whopping $199 ski purchase.

Take them to REI. I had all of that work done for $85. It was almost only $45. I went to pick them up and the counter guy kept staring at the work order. I asked him what was the problem and he said, "Uh, nothing. That'll be 45 bucks." I told him that there was no way all of that work cost so little and to go check with his manager. He came back and said, "How about $85?"

Works for me.

rjski

Booting up
Skier
Take them to REI. I had all of that work done for $85. It was almost only $45. I went to pick them up and the counter guy kept staring at the work order. I asked him what was the problem and he said, "Uh, nothing. That'll be 45 bucks." I told him that there was no way all of that work cost so little and to go check with his manager. He came back and said, "How about $85?"

Works for me.
Rei Is not very expensive. I'm suspicious about their knowledge and work though, sometimes things they say about skis are not making sense.