• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Bike Garmin Varia RTL510 Radar/Light: It's Much More Than That

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the new 1030 Plus is fantastic... Plus the screen is so ultra clear and large!

With Trailforks, I don't find this to be true. In fact, when I really need to figure out routing in a new area, I find that I just pull out my phone.

On topic: Does use of the Varia make the map display smaller?

Happy 4th, Ron!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I dont advise using a large computer like a 1030 for MTB. its too large, I only use it for gravel and road.

no its doesnt.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont advise using a large computer like a 1030 for MTB. its too large, I only use it for gravel and road.

Huh, no problem here whatsoever.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
too large on bars and I wouldn't want to risk a $600 computer. But, I haven't even taken out my MTB bike this season, too busy on the gravel and tarmac.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
too large on bars and I wouldn't want to risk a $600 computer. But, I haven't even taken out my MTB bike this season, too busy on the gravel and tarmac.

The only Garmin I ever damaged while riding was on the road bike. The early 305 didn't have the twist on mounts yet. The tabs on the side mounts would break all the time. I was riding on the road and went to hit one the buttons and the Garmin just slipped right off the mount. I instinctively locked up my brakes to stop and pick up the falling Garmin. Could not have timed it any more perfectly, but the Garmin landed screen side down on the pavement as I locked up my rear wheel on top if it. Slid to a stop after about twenty feet of sliding on the glass screen. Never really looked the same.

Numerous crashes in the woods and I've only bent some K-edge mounts. Never hurt the Garmin itself.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
something tells me hitting a scrub oak or aspen will most certainly have an effect on the device. I've Heard plenty of stories of rough terrain knocking computers out of their mounts and loosing them or running over them. When I do ride MTB, I usually dont use one. I know the trails and dont care about speed or anything else. Which of course is a 180* from my gravel and road riding.

:). Caveat emptor!

Jersey Skier

Skier
something tells me hitting a scrub oak or aspen will most certainly have an effect on the device. I've Heard plenty of stories of rough terrain knocking computers out of their mounts and loosing them or running over them. When I do ride MTB, I usually dont use one. I know the trails and dont care about speed or anything else. Which of course is a 180* from my gravel and road riding.

:). Caveat emptor!

If you hit a tree hard enough to damage the Garmin I think you'll have bigger problems that day considering where the Garmin is mounted.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
probably, but its another reason why I wouldn't mount a large, $600 computer on my MTB handlebar. To each their own, It makes no difference to me. Like I said, I dont ride with any

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The only Garmin I ever damaged while riding was on the road bike. The early 305 didn't have the twist on mounts yet. The tabs on the side mounts would break all the time. I was riding on the road and went to hit one the buttons and the Garmin just slipped right off the mount. I instinctively locked up my brakes to stop and pick up the falling Garmin. Could not have timed it any more perfectly, but the Garmin landed screen side down on the pavement as I locked up my rear wheel on top if it. Slid to a stop after about twenty feet of sliding on the glass screen. Never really looked the same.

Numerous crashes in the woods and I've only bent some K-edge mounts. Never hurt the Garmin itself.
Most people do not have the skill to make that kind of precise stop :cool:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...the Garmin landed screen side down on the pavement as I locked up my rear wheel on top if it. Slid to a stop after about twenty feet of sliding on the glass screen. Never really looked the same.

That's why I have a bumper case on my Edge 520. It cost around $5 at [REDACTED] and added a splash of color to my Garmin (also helps differentiate it from the other Gamin units out there). This thing has protected the screen and the case quite well over the years.

Similar cases are available for the 530, 830, and 1030 series. A friend of mine who is a heavy-duty MTB rider around here (and trust me: you're more likely to run into a tree in the east than on western trails) and uses an Edge 1030 or 830 on every ride. He's yet to break one in a crash, and his crashes are sometimes quite spectacular. He has bumper cases on each of these units and used K-Edge mounts.

FWIW: I use my Edge 520 on my road and gravel bikes using K-Edge mounts. I can also record rides using the Garmin fēnix 5 watch which is paired with my peripherals (cadence sensor, speed sensor, power meter), tho it's not as easy to view while riding, especially on rough surfaces.

Jersey Skier

Skier
That's why I have a bumper case on my Edge 520. It cost around $5 at [REDACTED] and added a splash of color to my Garmin (also helps differentiate it from the other Gamin units out there). This thing has protected the screen and the case quite well over the years.

Similar cases are available for the 530, 830, and 1030 series. A friend of mine who is a heavy-duty MTB rider around here (and trust me: you're more likely to run into a tree in the east than on western trails) and uses an Edge 1030 or 830 on every ride. He's yet to break one in a crash, and his crashes are sometimes quite spectacular. He has bumper cases on each of these units and used K-Edge mounts.

FWIW: I use my Edge 520 on my road and gravel bikes using K-Edge mounts. I can also record rides using the Garmin fēnix 5 watch which is paired with my peripherals (cadence sensor, speed sensor, power meter), tho it's not as easy to view while riding, especially on rough surfaces.

I use the silicone cases too, mostly because I tend to drop things in the parking lot. Similar to my levers, I try to keep the mount loose enough to just spin on the bars in case of impact.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just use a K-Edge stem mount.

Rock solid.

On all three mtbs for going on maybe 10 years without a hiccup.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dirtbag solution: grated parmesan container in a bottle cage. Sure, you won't be able to mess with the buttons, but who cares.

Red/black/green parmesan lid clashes with your bike? Peanut butter lids fit parmesan jars. :ogbiggrin::geek::ogbiggrin:

Last edited: