• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

n443

Booting up
Skier
East coaster here. I love my Stöckli Laser SC's, but I need a second pair of skiis for less than perfect groomer days.

This became clear yesterday as I was trying out my friends Rossi's Experience 88's; really enjoyable ski for mid-speed runs, but I did lack a bit of grip on the icy parts.

I want a ski for skied out afternoons with nasty bumps formed and soft spring snow. I am debating hard between FX85HP's and Z-90's. Any guidance and thoughts from someone who has skied both on the differences?

I am the type of skier that skis his whole life, but has never been to any kind of ski or racing school, so I would assume that my technique is severely lacking. While I like going fast and hard, it is all relative as I am limited by lack of skills and any former racer will pass me with ease, I am sure. I'd like a ski that won't push me to go hard all the time; like the SC does.

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your height and weight might be helpful.

I've got the FX85 non HP and love them for bumps. The skis you're asking about are probably quite different with the added stiffness though.

TS
N

n443

Booting up
Skier
6'0", 180lbs and 47yo.

I thought about softer skis (like FX non-HP), but fear how they would react on faster groomer runs.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Stöckli Laser AX.

Maybe the Kästle. I tried the Z-90. The word that came to mind as I skied them for several days was "competence." Not "fun." A friend skis fast & hard. He found that when he hit a lump of soft snow, fast & hard, on the Z-90 they appeared to stiffen (as their hyperdamping tech claims to do) and hit the lump like it was a rock. I really like my AXs. He liked my AXs so much that he ordered a pair the day he tried mine. The AX is hard to find. I think Jans.com has a few pair of the 175 and 168. There is a graphics change for next year, and maybe some minor internal changes. The marketing blurbs on the Stoeckli.ch web site are slightly changed.

TS
N

n443

Booting up
Skier
The word that came to mind as I skied them for several days was "competence." Not "fun."
Good! As mentioned, I am looking for a ski that is a bit calmer!

hat when he hit a lump of soft snow, fast & hard, on the Z-90 they appeared to stiffen [...] and hit the lump like it was a rock
Not good! Exactly what I am trying to prevent :(

Re: Stöckli Laser AX and also the Head Supershape i.Titans that I liked a whole lot, it is an option too. I am just not sure if they are "all mountain" enough.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When @Tricia and I went back east last year and could only take one pair of skis with us (I know...you all feel bad for us) we both took Z90's. While PT said the Z was competent and not fun, I think the Z is competent and extremely fun. I have as many vertical on a Z90 as almost anyone and I never experienced the sensation of the ski turning s lump into a rock. There has been many accolades for the ski with a few nay sayers, no ski will please everyone but the Renoun pleases many more than it doesn't.

The FX is a great bump ski with it's gradual tip is a great mixed snow ski but has limitations when it gets real firm and with the fradual tip and taper just does not initiate like some others. If you are looking for a premium, I would suggest the Stockli SR88 as a compromise between these two skis.

TS
N

n443

Booting up
Skier
no ski will please everyone
It would be boring otherwise!

If you are looking for a premium, I would suggest the Stockli SR88
Interesting, especially since they have them on Cannon as demo/rentals so I can easily try them out.

I am not married to "premium". Any non-premium suggestion based on the requirements above?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While I like going fast and hard,

I thought about softer skis (like FX non-HP), but fear how they would react on faster groomer runs.

The FX85 HP won't help you in he hard and fast groomer department.

Phil's rec on the SR888 is a good one.

My go to 88/90 ski for the last 7 years had been the Kendo. Still one of my favorite. On my fourth pair.
OTOH, if I have a buck for every person that came back and yelled at me for my Kendo demo recommendation, I would have a pretty decent meal at Cracker Barrel.

James

Out There
Instructor
OTOH, if I have a buck for every person that came back and yelled at me for my Kendo demo recommendation, I would have a pretty decent meal at Cracker Barrel.
Yeah I'd definitely chip in for the desert. Hated that thing, a plank. But only demoed it one day.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Kastles MX84 for a 1/4 the price......

but if the OP is not that skilled might not be an awesome ski.