• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) General Europe Q

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
A few years ago, it was a very slow start in the Alps, snow-wise. In the Christmas week I was in St. Anton (Autstria), famous for the large amount of natural snow they usually get. Not that year. About 20% of the runs was open. The week after, I was in the Dolomites. Not a single flake of natural snow had fallen, but in the Dolomites, 90% of the runs was open.
There is a big difference between 'snow sure' (i.e. natural snow, as in St. Anton) and being more or less guaranteed to be able to ski. Let's call it 'ski-sure'.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Snow conditions could be as you state, but the Dolomites pride themselves on their snowmaking system, with virtually 100% coverage over the entire area, so piste skiing at least is virtually guaranteed regardless of snowfall.

You are certainly correct on this one. But still we all prefer to ski on natural snow if possible, no?:beercheer:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
There is a big difference between 'snow sure' (i.e. natural snow, as in St. Anton) and being more or less guaranteed to be able to ski. Let's call it 'ski-sure'.

St. Anton has never been truly safe in terms of natural snow due to the southern exposure of their main skiing areas Gampan/Kapall and Galzig. It only improved after introduction of the opposite Rendl area. Still the resort is not elevated that highly, all other Arlberg resorts are better off in that respect.

Someone recently told me that of all Arlberg resorts Warth is actually the safest bet snow wise - which makes sense given it's exposure and being the first higher elevated resort to the north where most snow weather patterns flow in from.

Sponsor

Staff online