• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting back into it from the South Jersey Shore

James

Out There
Instructor
Lol I was waiting for that to pop up at some point. South Jersey shore gets shoobies, and North Jersey shore gets the benny's

What shore do or did you hit?

mike
Heh, I never heard that till several years ago. Friends rented a place in Oceanside in May or June when it was pretty quiet. We took a trip down to Cape May and stopped at a breakfast place. When we were talking with the waitress, early 20’s, she said something like, “You’re shoobies.”
After the, what??, she said it was out of town people who wear shoes on the beach. Ok, made sense.

So sometime that weekend we rented bicycles for half a day. We bring them back late. Rental guy is classic muscle shirted, mustachioed, late 60’s, shore guy. He might have been giving us some grief about the time, but not very serious. So at one point I say, “we’re shoobies”. Without missing a beat, he goes, “I know who you are.”
Like, don’t take me for a fool. It was hilarious.

Anyway, he explained how the term had nothing to do with shoes on the beach, but carrying lunch in a shoebox, when coming out to the shore from Philly or some other city back in the day.

Never heard the Benny one.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...This past December 30, 2022 went with the family to ski Camelback at 59 years old for the first time in decades. We had a blast! Can’t believe how much I missed it. The wife and I got our own gear and plan to ski as much as we can since the kids are now 21 and 23 with no more sports etc… My wife is new to skiing.

Hi Bayside - We're pretty similar in age -- my cousin (Island Heights, NJ) and I head up with some variation of our mutual kids (17 - 25) to Camelback just about every Sunday night, stay at the Chateau right by the resort, and are on the mountain bright and early every Sunday, including this one coming up. PM me and perhaps we can link up for some commiserating on a Sunday we're all there.

TS
BaysideSkier

BaysideSkier

mike
Skier
Heh, I never heard that till several years ago. Friends rented a place in Oceanside in May or June when it was pretty quiet. We took a trip down to Cape May and stopped at a breakfast place. When we were talking with the waitress, early 20’s, she said something like, “You’re shoobies.”
After the, what??, she said it was out of town people who wear shoes on the beach. Ok, made sense.

So sometime that weekend we rented bicycles for half a day. We bring them back late. Rental guy is classic muscle shirted, mustachioed, late 60’s, shore guy. He might have been giving us some grief about the time, but not very serious. So at one point I say, “we’re shoobies”. Without missing a beat, he goes, “I know who you are.”
Like, don’t take me for a fool. It was hilarious.

Anyway, he explained how the term had nothing to do with shoes on the beach, but carrying lunch in a shoebox, when coming out to the shore from Philly or some other city back in the day.

Never heard the Benny one.
That‘s a great story. Cape May is a cool town.

BENNY is an abbreviation for the cities/boroughs daytrippers boarded trains from NY to head to the Jersey shore. Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York Cit. It’s more of a north jersey shore thing.

Shoobies did originate for the daytrippers taking trains to the south jersey shore. The train ticket included. boxed lunch in a shoebox.

TS
BaysideSkier

BaysideSkier

mike
Skier
Hi Bayside - We're pretty similar in age -- my cousin (Island Heights, NJ) and I head up with some variation of our mutual kids (17 - 25) to Camelback just about every Sunday night, stay at the Chateau right by the resort, and are on the mountain bright and early every Sunday, including this one coming up. PM me and perhaps we can link up for some commiserating on a Sunday we're all there.

How is staying at the Chateau? You head up Saturday night or Sunday night?
Definitely will hit you up when we’re there on a Sunday

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
How is staying at the Chateau? You head up Saturday night or Sunday night?
Definitely will hit you up when we’re there on a Sunday

Sorry for the typo -- we head up Saturday nights, rarely early enough to get any runs in that evening, but the Chateau is about a minute from parking so it's easy to get out early. For some reason, their restaurant doesn't serve drinks any longer, but a hot breakfast is pretty reasonable. Shoot us a PM when you're planning to be there on a Sunday, and we'll see what kind of trouble we can scare up.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That‘s a great story. Cape May is a cool town.

BENNY is an abbreviation for the cities/boroughs daytrippers boarded trains from NY to head to the Jersey shore. Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York Cit. It’s more of a north jersey shore thing.

Shoobies did originate for the daytrippers taking trains to the south jersey shore. The train ticket included. boxed lunch in a shoebox.
Benny is also a trem for someone that wants all the "Benefits" of the shore but none of the responsibility to pay for things like beach badges. Because shore residents tax dollars pay for maintenance of the beachs. All others are Benny's

BTW also a brother ELK but a member of a North Jersey Lodge, if you visit other lodges the Lacey, NJ Lodge is a nice place to visit in the summer.

Last edited:

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Benny is also a trem for someone that wants all the "Benefits" of the shore but none of the responsibility to pay for things like beach badges. Because shore residents tax dollars pay for maintenance of the beachs. All others are Benny's

BTW also a brother ELK but a member of a North Jersey Lodge, if you visit other lodges the Lacey, NJ Lodge is a nice place to visit in the summer.
I always heard that the term "Bennies" referred to the Benjamins ($100 bills) that the tourists would spend at the Jersey shore.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I always heard that the term "Bennies" referred to the Benjamins ($100 bills) that the tourists would spend at the Jersey shore.
The tourists do add money to the economy, but not that I have heard that it is the definition of "Benny".