• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting into backcountry

Brent.Nass

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello
I am loving backcountry touring especially inspiring.
I am starting to do nights out camping on the mountain while backcountry

can you please let me know what you have/ use for:
- comfortable light weight compact warm shoes/ boots to wear so can take boots off
- compact and super walk sleeping bag
- single person snow tent
- compact day pack that has ski straps on the side

thank you

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Montbell stetchy sleeping bags
Tarptent single person tunnel style tent.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Insulation camp booties such as @pais alto links to above are great.

Tent and sleeping bag really depend on conditions you will be in. Tell us about that for better advice.

Packs - lots of options.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
- synthetic insulation camp booties like these.
- Western Mountaineering Ultralite
- MSR Access
- Osprey Kamber 30
For overnight trips, a 30l backpack is too small. With extra clothing, avi gear, tent, sleeping bag/pad, stove, food, etc., I suggest a 40-50l pack. FYI, my ski touring day pack is 35l. A 30-35l backpack is a well-balanced size for day touring in the western USA and Canada.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For overnight trips, a 30l backpack is too small. With extra clothing, avi gear, tent, sleeping bag/pad, stove, food, etc., I suggest a 40-50l pack. FYI, my ski touring day pack is 35l. A 30-35l backpack is a well-balanced size for day touring in the western USA and Canada.
I think he wants the 30l pack for day trips from base camp, since he specifically called it a day pack.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a taller version of these:

Over my down booties (which he also makes), or over my ski boot liners.

@Brent.Nass , in your other posts you were asking about some heavy, downhill focused skis, boots and bindings. Stuff that is more on the 50/50 touring/resort side.

Typically for winter camping, touring trips, people go the very opposite end of the spectrum: the stuff just a step above Skimo race gear.

Of course there are exceptions to that, but in general, if you are doing multi day trips, stuff from the lighter, more uphill oriented side will be better matched to that.
If for no other reason than that 4 buckle, overlap boots are super hard to put on when they are frozen :ogbiggrin:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP asked about day packs, not overnight.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Made in the USA, lighter than just about anything else, and custom made, so you choose fabrics and insulation thickness.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think he wants the 30l pack for day trips from base camp, since he specifically called it a day pack.
You can't put all the stuff needed for a safe day trip, even from Basecamp, in a30 l pack

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My b/c pack is a 30L pack. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need in there for a day tour.
Do you have a big enough down jacket that you could survive at least 6 hours laying on snow injured until rescue comes?
And it's not a nano sir 10oz jacket.
Extra gloves, first aid, repair kit?

I know mine wouldn't fit in a30 l pack

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alll though I agree with the way you are thinking @Rod9301 , 30l is a pretty standard size for a skiing daypack, and many people use a smaller pack.

@Pequenita is also a lot smaller than me. Relative to body size, I suppose that means I should be carrying a 40l pack.
I wanted an Electronic airbag pack though, so got the biggest I could get, it’s only ~32l. And I have a ski mountaineering pack that is labeled 35l.
So relative to body size, I carry a smaller pack than @Pequenita, and I have all those things.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is the added issue that smaller backpacks do not have a good frame, do they don't carry very well.
I think my day backpack, with the stuff i carry is around 20 lbs, and i have light stuff.
Add skis to it and it's 30 and if you have to walk a fair amount in shoes you're looking at 36+
You will be less tired with a bigger backpack that has a good suspension system. Unfortunately, but many of these.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Do you have a big enough down jacket that you could survive at least 6 hours laying on snow injured until rescue comes?

You do realize she's probably a good deal smaller than you, smaller clothing, etc... no? I doubt if you share BSL's either.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Ski touring packs are a personal choice. My personal preference is a 35l daypack, in partial for long days ski touring in Washington State and British Columbia. Many friends use a slightly smaller pack at around 30l. For warm summer skiing, I have successfully used a Dakine 18l pack. Many day packs have a good suspension system, some have excess external straps, and some packs are super heavy.

Here is a Powder Cloud video, “What is in my pack - a backcountry ski kit”. Colin Zacharias explains what he carries for a day trip.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I have an emergency bivy, in addition to a puffy. So I do think I would be able to survive a hypothetical 6 hours laying in snow waiting for rescue. Extra gloves, hat (in addition to a baseball cap), first aid kit, and repair kit. Thermos with hot water. Food. In my view, only first responders need huge day packs.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, i understand everyone is different.
My wife, 5.6 also has a35 l pack and there's not a lot of room left.

Here's what i have:.
Puffy
Hard shell, helmet, goggles, hat, warm gloves thin mid layer, sunglass case, first aid, repair kit, food, snacks, cover for skins, in reach, very thin just for under helmet, shovel, r maybe a print, verts, ski crampons, crampons, ice axe, or two, voile straps, maybe snow saw, a couple of short cords,

Water bottle on outside.

Stuff adds up, but i have to say that i use my stuff all the time, except for the hard shell.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And of course bacack volume is like ski boot flex: a made up number that gives you a rough idea what you can expect.