• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting into backcountry

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, i understand everyone is different.
My wife, 5.6 also has a35 l pack and there's not a lot of room left.

Here's what i have:.
Puffy
Hard shell, helmet, goggles, hat, warm gloves thin mid layer, sunglass case, first aid, repair kit, food, snacks, cover for skins, in reach, very thin just for under helmet, shovel, r maybe a print, verts, ski crampons, crampons, ice axe, or two, voile straps, maybe snow saw, a couple of short cords,

Water bottle on outside.

Stuff adds up, but i have to say that i use my stuff all the time, except for the hard shell.

I know there are some big objectives in the spring and you’ve got to be ready for anything, but do most of your tours really require verts, ski crampons, and boot crampons?

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always ski crampons for spring.

The OP @Brent.Nass never clarified if they needed a pack for getting to the base camp/and touring or if they were looking for a separate pack to use once at camp for daily touring. I have used the North Face Phantom 50 for 2 night ski tour spring camping trips, it breaks down into a smaller pack for daily use. Not made anymore, but similar at Northface and Black Diamond.

I have a 35L for regular touring, but will use this if I am needing 'extra.' I think it actually skis pretty well for me.

*It should be noted, I am only maybe 2 dress sizes bigger than @Pequenita so my sleeping bag and other items are smaller than the average male and fit nicely into the 50l bag after splitting the tent with my partner.

Last edited:

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always crampons for spring sure. But verts are unlikely on crampon days for most day tours. Sure, you could have big mountaineering objectives or overnight trips where the vertical relief and aspect might require both, but for some of us mortals that’s not a typical day tour.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Interesting thread. During the spring and summer, I ski tour at Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainer and I rarely bring an ice axe, boot ski crampons, and ski crampons (Rainier below 10k). Depending on the conditions. I might carry ski crampons, but rarely use them. At higher elevations, with holes. crevasses and moats, I will bring my ice ice axe and boot crampons, including rad line+, harness, and snow pickets. Here, a 45-50l pac works fine. I had to look up verts and I learned something new. Thanks.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know there are some big objectives in the spring and you’ve got to be ready for anything, but do most of your tours really require verts, ski crampons, and boot crampons?
Yes, ski crampons save a lot of energyn but only when it's firm but also in wet corn snow.
I would never climb a couloir without crampons, but only for safety but also it saves energy when climbing.

And sure, there are conditions when i don't take the verts.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Rod9301 what do you use those for? I've never seen them.

Most of the rest of the stuff in your pack is often in my pack, though I am always happy when I can leave crampons and ice axe at home
Verts are used when climbing in powder or deep wet corn snow do you don't sink to your knees, save a lot of energy.

Of course if you go on mellow terrain you don't need crampons, ice axes etc.

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like snowshoes?

Yea, but they don’t replace your skinning rig (e.g. skis, approach skis, splitboard). They are typically used for couloirs and gullies. Mine use the same interface as my splitboard so I can merely connect my splitboard bindings to the platform.

that’s why I was a little surprised a typical day tour would necessitate ski crampons and verts.

Again, some objectives and aspects (and vertical gain) may require both, but for the most part, I either have verts or ski crampons. And for the most part, the verts leave the pack and the ski crampons/boot crampons go in during spring conditions around Tahoe.

Eastern Sierra objectives though, I may take both. The whole better to have it and not need it rather need it and not have it.

I think Rod gets rowdier than me on the East Side though. I’m usually just dog touring around Virginia Lakes and False White at Tioga Pass. So even then, it’s fairly predictable what snow conditions are going to be and it’s usually crampons.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These days i do most of my skiing in the french pyrenees, think east side of Sierra with hour approaches, and lot of couloir skiing.

So mid winter, fresh snow, verts are needed, but it also very hard to know when you will hit ice, so crampons and ice axe(s) are essential.

Just like it would be in the east side in the winter.

In the spring, i rarely can time the ascent so the snow is firm and soft on the descent.

So depending on aspect, i might end up climbing a east facing couloir in 6-12 inches of softened snow and the verts save a ton of energy.

But yeah, if the touring is low angle, you don't need all this.