• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting on race skis - benefits? Recommended? Recommendations?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Learn to ski well slowly. Speed will come.

Speed hides a multitude of sins.

Absolutely. But when they enter that intermediate zone, want to move a bit faster but are still not ready/patient enough to finish the turn, not ready for the bite of short turning ski, SL skis can be a handful. Something 15-16 will be way more forgiving. As it was mentioned here, on SL skis the steeper the slope and the faster you move, things start happening very quickly, sometimes far too quickly.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely. But when they enter that intermediate zone, want to move a bit faster but are still not ready/patient enough to finish the turn, not ready for the bite of short turning ski, SL skis can be a handful. Something 15-16 will be way more forgiving. As it was mentioned here, on SL skis the steeper the slope and the faster you move, things start happening very quickly, sometimes far too quickly.

The head is the most difficult body part to train properly. Most neglect it entirely,

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Radius doesn’t matter that much. It’s the torsional stiffness, and stiff flex of the tail that might get you in trouble or be difficult to deal with.

I wonder how many 15-16 m skis have the torsional stiffness and the stiff flex of the tail of FIS SL ski..
I have quite a few of them 15-19 m consumer skis in my quiver and nothing, not a single one of them comes even close to the brutal stiffness of Rossi FIS SL.

James

Out There
Instructor
I wonder how many 15-16 m skis have the torsional stiffness and the stiff flex of the tail of FIS SL ski..
I have quite a few of them 15-19 m consumer skis in my quiver and nothing, not a single one of them comes even close to the brutal stiffness of Rossi FIS SL.
I just don’t see them as that brutal.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Radius doesn’t matter that much. It’s the torsional stiffness, and stiff flex of the tail that might get you in trouble or be difficult to deal with.
It all matters. Matching the radius to the speed you will be skiing and turns you will be making is very important to me. 11-m radius for making 45 mph long radius turns is not a good match, neither is 35 m radius for carved 5 m turns at 10 miles per hour.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But on hand flex the FIS SL are the stiffest ski I own. By far.

Good news. Stiffness of the ski are usually not felt on the groomer. Unless you are hanging out in the rumble seat.

One of the best way to cure hanging out back is to take a pair of FIS SL into big steep icy bumps. It's one of those do or die thing. Best to have all your affairs in order prior to venturing out.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good news. Stiffness of the ski are usually not felt on the groomer. Unless you are hanging out in the rumble seat.

One of the best way to cure hanging out back is to take a pair of FIS SL into big steep icy bumps. It's one of those do or die thing. Best to have all your affairs in order prior to venturing out.

We don't do bumps here. Bumps are considered a blemish to the perfect groomers and dealt with swiftly. Steep and icy will have to do.

• Sad
Reactions: Ogg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Then learn how to ski slowly and develop a feel for the ski.
Speed is easy. Control is not.

I know that yes but we aren't talking about me in this thread, we are talking beginners on race skis. I take pride in the fact I haven't been caught on the backseat for the last two seasons not once and also that I finally learned how to ski REAL slow. :ogbiggrin:
Point is for beginners/intermediates an especially for intermediates, race ski would probably not be optimal.

James

Out There
Instructor
We don't do bumps here. Bumps are considered a blemish to the perfect groomers and dealt with swiftly. Steep and icy will have to do.
Where’s here?

0BB457E0-2D99-4707-B93C-9FEF8B8AEA28.jpeg

That’s a lot of blemishes! Already below the steep part.

Not sure where we got the beginner thing. The op is advanced.

Sponsor

Staff online