• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting ready for ski season with Skier's Edge

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
These days it means being able to keep up with my kids without hurting myself :roflmao:

Don't you guys have gravity up there in the Pacific North Left?

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Don't you guys have gravity up there in the Pacific North Left?
You know they other day I was sitting under an apple tree and …. yes we have gravity, but we also have a pretty strict shelter in place order and no skiing right now. We also have no gyms (all closed) …. etc. So this is another way to stay in shape.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
When you say oxidization, are you referring to a brown discoloration on the bands? I have that on my bands but they seem to work fine. Have found a site that sells tension bands in what appears to be the same dimensions as the skier's edge, but will need to be cut to the same length. Not clear if these are the same or different but for $19 a band I thought it might be worth the experiment.
So I finally snapped the rubber band on my Skiers Edge and had to cave and buy a new band from them for $361. Sounds like the band I had was the original that came with unit and was over 10 years old. Will be curious to see how the new band preforms. With the early end to our ski season I have been putting on ski films and hoping on the Skiers Edge … decided to get an early start on next season :)
So I thought you said you found a place to get bands the same dimension for about $20. I have a S4 Big Mountain I got in 2004 new for me and my ski race son. I only used it in late Fall before snow falls. I'm 68 and use it year round now for general fitness with other cross training. Two years ago I blew a band, no big deal, at the attach end clamp. So I shortened the band 4" and replaced the rollers and bearings. They asked if I wanted to replace the bands and I said they still looked good. Yesterday I blew the big band in the middle. Called SE and they wont sell me the bands, I have to buy a new upgrade platform and then they will sell me the same bands. Around $800. That's what I paid for the original machine. Anyway where did you find the replacement bands and why did you buy the SE bands for big bucks.
I hope I am asking the right person about the aftermarket bands. Thanks JP

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So I thought you said you found a place to get bands the same dimension for about $20. I have a S4 Big Mountain I got in 2004 new for me and my ski race son. I only used it in late Fall before snow falls. I'm 68 and use it year round now for general fitness with other cross training. Two years ago I blew a band, no big deal, at the attach end clamp. So I shortened the band 4" and replaced the rollers and bearings. They asked if I wanted to replace the bands and I said they still looked good. Yesterday I blew the big band in the middle. Called SE and they wont sell me the bands, I have to buy a new upgrade platform and then they will sell me the same bands. Around $800. That's what I paid for the original machine. Anyway where did you find the replacement bands and why did you buy the SE bands for big bucks.
I hope I am asking the right person about the aftermarket bands. Thanks JP
Hi JP,

So I never did find any after market bands. My machine was already upgraded to the QS5 so I only had to pay $361 for the new band. Band arrived this week and it is clearly just a heavy duty band that they cut to a specific length on demand. If you can figure out the specks I am guessing you could buy this for $20-30. That said I have not been able to figure out the correct specks or where to source these bands. I will say that the new band makes a huge difference in how the machine works. First workout last night was way more intense than with the old band. Agree $800 is a lot, this is clearly how they are monetizing the used market. That said short of buying another used machine you may not have many options.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Without knowing the correct elasticity, strength etc. you're not going to be able find a third-party option. You could buy a random band and test it but I wouldn't. If you're cranking along on the thing and it snaps you could get really hurt.

I'm not sure what I'll do when my band needs to be replace. They gave me the same $800 upgrade option to get a new band and I said no. I really do like the machine, though.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am probably in a minority here, but i don't think one can get in shape with skiers edge.

I had one of these 25 years ago, used it a few times, then it just sat on the patio.

For muscle development, zero.
For aerobic development, many others things work better, biking, running.

For skill development don't know, but as far as i can recall, didn't do much.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used mine a lot years ago and liked using it. For some reason, I stopped using the machine and never went back. Now I am doing a different exercise program which feel like it is doing the trick (for me). And my skiers edge is sitting in the basement gathering dust. The band is likely shot, and from what I am reading here, I cannot buy a replacement without paying for an upgrade? I was going to sell the machine for chep money, but unless anyone has ideas on replacement bands, it will probably end up on the curb on garbage day.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not if your knees are trashed from years of abuse and, uh, age. My Skiers Edge is the only aerobics equipment that I can use other than an elliptical (which I don't have access to at home) that doesn't make my knees scream.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
Hi JP,

So I never did find any after market bands. My machine was already upgraded to the QS5 so I only had to pay $361 for the new band. Band arrived this week and it is clearly just a heavy duty band that they cut to a specific length on demand. If you can figure out the specks I am guessing you could buy this for $20-30. That said I have not been able to figure out the correct specks or where to source these bands. I will say that the new band makes a huge difference in how the machine works. First workout last night was way more intense than with the old band. Agree $800 is a lot, this is clearly how they are monetizing the used market. That said short of buying another used machine you may not have many options.
Hi, I bought the machine new from Skiers Edge in 2004. They are not trying to monetize the used market with me, They are gouging me by forcing me to upgrade when there is when there is nothing wrong with my machine except wore out bands. I feel that with the price of their new machines they excluding many older skiers that would take advantage of the conditioning that they provide. Their loss.
I don't know where to look for these bands and any suggestions out there would be appreciated. Thanks JP

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
Without knowing the correct elasticity, strength etc. you're not going to be able find a third-party option. You could buy a random band and test it but I wouldn't. If you're cranking along on the thing and it snaps you could get really hurt.

I'm not sure what I'll do when my band needs to be replace. They gave me the same $800 upgrade option to get a new band and I said no. I really do like the machine, though.
I was cranking along the first time it snapped three years ago and it, I, just stopped. I just shortened the band after inspection as it broke under the platform. After using the machine for another three yrs. it broke again two days ago. No big accident, I just stopped again. It's not like riding a motorcycle and having the tire come off at 60MPH. This is just SE trying to gouge me for $800. If I can't find bands I will try using large bungie cord along the same lines as used for bungie jumping.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
I am probably in a minority here, but i don't think one can get in shape with skiers edge.

I had one of these 25 years ago, used it a few times, then it just sat on the patio.

HI, I have been using the S4 big mountain machine since 2004. I have other fitness routines for muscle development and maintenance and aerobic benefit. I used the SE machine in the fall before snow arrives to wake up the fine twitch muscles and overall balance that we use in carved turns and crud skiing. My son, who was a race athlete and now a race coach, and I found this to be a big advantage early ski season when others we all waking up from last season. I am 68 years young now and use now year round to warm up and cool down for my regular fitness workout at home. Then in the fall I ramp it up in prep for Opening Day, usually at Mammoth.
Another fantastic workout and ski prep is Inline Skating. I use ski poles with rubber tips when skating and then carve turns on gentle hills. Skating back up the hills is great for muscle conditioning and a great aerobic workout. Just be careful as a slight incline get you going REAL fast and you can't just stop quickly. ROAD RASH can hurt bigtime. Try the skate to ski fitness program https://www.rollerblade.com/usa/skate-to-ski/ Its really fun. JP

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

So having snapped a band while using it I can tell you that the risk of injury is pretty low as the machine uses two bands and you would literally need to snap both simultaneously which is highly unlikely.

If you really were committed to this I think you could likely take the band to an industrial supply store and match it up with something comparable, but that is honestly much more time than I am willing to invest :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

I think the trick is maintaining the right form and setting the tension high enough. It gives me a pretty intense workout and I definitely feel it in my legs. It made a huge difference this year getting ready for ski season. That said I do a lot of other things to in the off season to stay in shape :)

Simply put the machine works if you use the right way and push yourself.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
I just went to the site that Kyle posted and ordered a set of bands for my S4. They looked correct and they gave me a 10% discount for using Mastercard. I'll post the result when the are delivered JP

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I just went to the site that Kyle posted and ordered a set of bands for my S4. They looked correct and they gave me a 10% discount for using Mastercard. I'll post the result when the are delivered JP
Let me know how this works out. The website looked a little sketchy to me.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
Y
Let me know how this works out. The website looked a little sketchy to me.
I thought so too. So I searched around on the site to see other items in cycling and other sports. So I took the chance. I have always been pretty lucky at gambling.
On the wearing of the bands the clamping points where they are attached gets extremely compressed and cracks develop.
If you inspect the band you will be able to see small cracks developing before they snap. The key is to replace them before they get too big. JP

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So having snapped a band while using it I can tell you that the risk of injury is pretty low as the machine uses two bands and you would literally need to snap both simultaneously which is highly unlikely.

If you really were committed to this I think you could likely take the band to an industrial supply store and match it up with something comparable, but that is honestly much more time than I am willing to invest :)

Fair enough.

Sponsor

Staff online