• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting ready for ski season with Skier's Edge

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
I have a skiers edge S4 and am looking for a new power band/belt, with all these machines out there someone must be trading these belts beside skiers edge. I just got off the phone with them and got the upgrade speech, what a bunch of crap sales must be slow so they are forcing an unnecessary ungrade to generate sales. anyone have any luck finding a vendor for the power bandbelt?
see my post on 10/6

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Been traveling for a couple mos. back to the Midwest. Anyway get this I got home last month and the USPS had been holding my mail they had my order. It was a cheap imitation pair of Ray Ban sunglasses. I read the previous post of yours from June and laughed so hard I was getting cramps. I called my Barclays credit card and they credited me back the money and issued me a new card. That's what they do for fraud cases.
So to fix my S4 I purchased a 50ft roll of 3/8" bungie cord and cut six 8'4" pieces and fitted them to the machine from the foot platform around under the center attach point back up to the foot platform. I put alignment marks on the bands on both sides if the platform. Been using it for over a month now and it works great. There are no signs of wear on the bands and no sign of slipping at the marks. I figure if a band breaks there are 5 more to carry the load. Cost $39 on Amazon. I'll keep posted on how the bands are working out.
I'm working out hard now as Mammoth opens Nov. 14
ok too funny. So I take it the Rayban's did not work with your Skier's Edge :) Necessity is the mother of invention. Love your hack. Ironically the Fitter another ski trainer uses bungee cords similar to what you did.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
ok too funny. So I take it the Rayban's did not work with your Skier's Edge :) Necessity is the mother of invention. Love your hack. Ironically the Fitter another ski trainer uses bungee cords similar to what you did.
the ray bans don't even look good. I was amazed that you were sent a pair. It must be the same scam artist. I saw the Fitter a long time ago. When I told the supervisor gal at Skiers Edge when the big band broke that I would use bungie bands over spending 800 bucks she said it was dangerous and that I would injure myself. I chuckled and said goodbye.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
the ray bans don't even look good. I was amazed that you were sent a pair. It must be the same scam artist. I saw the Fitter a long time ago. When I told the supervisor gal at Skiers Edge when the big band broke that I would use bungie bands over spending 800 bucks she said it was dangerous and that I would injure myself. I chuckled and said goodbye.
Yup I am pretty sure they buy big rolls of those rubber bands and cut them as needed and it likely costs them a few bucks per machine. What you did proves you can really used pretty much anything to create the resistance as long as you get the right length. I would be curious if your machine runs quieter with the bungy cord as opposed to the rubber bands.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Been traveling for a couple mos. back to the Midwest. Anyway get this I got home last month and the USPS had been holding my mail they had my order. It was a cheap imitation pair of Ray Ban sunglasses. I read the previous post of yours from June and laughed so hard I was getting cramps. I called my Barclays credit card and they credited me back the money and issued me a new card. That's what they do for fraud cases.
So to fix my S4 I purchased a 50ft roll of 3/8" bungie cord and cut six 8'4" pieces and fitted them to the machine from the foot platform around under the center attach point back up to the foot platform. I put alignment marks on the bands on both sides if the platform. Been using it for over a month now and it works great. There are no signs of wear on the bands and no sign of slipping at the marks. I figure if a band breaks there are 5 more to carry the load. Cost $39 on Amazon. I'll keep posted on how the bands are working out.
I'm working out hard now as Mammoth opens Nov. 14
Good to know thanks! I figured there was something out there that would work. Do you need to zip tie them together in the middle so they don't get caught on the rollers?

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
Good to know thanks! I figured there was something out there that would work. Do you need to zip tie them together in the middle so they don't get caught on the rollers?
I noticed while that they tended to separate between the foot platform and the roller so I tied a string around the in the middle to keep the acting as one band. Otherwise they work great. Also no noise from the bands.

JPSkier

Go Fast Take Chances
Skier
Holland, Mi. I used to windsurf there and competed in some regional regattas there back in the late 80's when I lived in Central Illinois.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Holland, Mi. I used to windsurf there and competed in some regional regattas there back in the late 80's when I lived in Central Illinois.
Great beaches around here and it's hard to beat the big lakes...except for mountains of course.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone use the powder/mogul platform? If so what are the advantages/disadvantages with using it? In general, have you all noticed a significant change in your workout with different adjustment and setting changes (ie more resistance=better muscular workout, less resistance=better CV workout, changes with different foot widths, etc). Thanks!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Anyone use the powder/mogul platform? If so what are the advantages/disadvantages with using it? In general, have you all noticed a significant change in your workout with different adjustment and setting changes (ie more resistance=better muscular workout, less resistance=better CV workout, changes with different foot widths, etc). Thanks!
You definitely notice a difference if you increase the resistance similar to any other exercise equipment. I have the slope simulator on mine and I like to let it swing free as I find it gives a more natural feel and activates the core. Not sure about the mogul platform as I do not have one. I also do not mess around with the width as I just set it to align with my preferred stance when actually skiing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone use the powder/mogul platform? If so what are the advantages/disadvantages with using it?

The mogul/powder platform is good for developing the mechanics for retraction turns. It's also great for development of sensitivity and timing for ski rebound. Start with the balance bar and work toward proficiency without the bar.

Sponsor