• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Giro d'Italia+ GCN = fail

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I know I am digressing and probably hijacking a cycling thread, but I see this a lot in Italy too, I mean this "hero-story media" thing.

Definitely. Italy and the Giro both have a long history of this, and Dino Buzzati's book proves it. How a media storm was done - in 1949 (lyricism added by author):

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So, Since Sports gold and Peacock are total failures, is GNC + at least decent enough to watch? Can It be airplay'd ???

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So, Since Sports gold and Peacock are total failures, is GNC + at least decent enough to watch? Can It be airplay'd ???

It's excellent except when the camera is off the attention target or there's simply no good camera available. The one (the only) thing NBC was good at is after-the-fact infill. From non-produced sources.*

So GCN+ will never get us rain-stage footage when wireless camera links are too flooded to work, and GCN+ will never get us early-in-the-stage crash video such as caused Buchmann's retirement from the Giro.

But the interviews, the comments, both prior and after-the-fact insight is on point for serious cycling viewership, in a way NBC could never even begin to hope for. Expect to hear more about training, more about success and failure and more about the overall peloton than you ever could before.

I have no idea about airplay. I will tell you that 'casting can be blocky and jerky depending on the buffer states in your source and sink devices. Which is fine on most coverage but absolutely annoying on finishing sprints and completely frustrating during time trials as you cannot see the entire line a rider takes. And so my source-sink connection is a direct, not wireless connection.

*F1 are usually really good about getting non-produced sources to their viewership after the fact (Monaco proves it by being the exception to the case). I hope GCN+ can look at that model and take some tips from it.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
oK, THANKS, casting issues sound like a personal problem and not GCN+. :). I will play around with it. Unless they are actively blocking airplay, it should work fine although I would just like to be able turn my TV on, and watch the race and not have to go through a hundred commands to watch the race like its 1985.

RANT: Why TF Peacock had to go and totally ruin an excellent opportunity to broadcast the races is beyond me.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Short answer: yes, you can AirPlay it.

And I agree with @cantunamunch's comments. GCN+ isn't as good with immediate "vintage footage" fill-ins. But their commentators fill the airtime really well because they are subject experts and enthusiasts, more so than the NBC Sports crew. And their overall GCN+ service - Race Pass, the documentaries, the other stuff - makes NBC look downright amateur by comparison.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor