• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Giro Jackson MIPS helmet

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Keeping in mind that, while ski reviews are fun and dynamic, your head is the most important part of the skiing equation and helmets are the rather mundane tool to keep your noggin covered, so helmet reviews are necessary. Keeping your head safe, protected from the elements, and comfortable are all part of the job of the helmet. With Giro recently stepping into the slot of official helmet and goggle sponsor to SkiTalk (with discussion here), I've been fortunate to be wearing the Giro Jackson MIPS helmet for about three months now.

Construction of the Jackson is typical of modern helmets utilizing a hard shell, foam interior, a liner, and MIPS being part of the equation. Even after three months of in and out of the boot bag, bumping it on lift bars, and general use, the shell continues to look new. The Giro "In Form 2 Fit System" works very well; a turn of the wheel on the back of the helmet snugs it or loosens it as needed while maintaining a low fit on the head. The Jackson MIPS is very light, with my size medium coming in at 420 grams, or 14.8 ounces, with the obligatory SkiTalk sticker installed. Speaking of medium, the Giro helmets I tried on all seemed to run a bit larger than the Pret and K2 helmets I had before. Those required a size large while the medium Giro fits quite nicely with with a range of adjustment available from the In Form 2 Fit wheel. The chin strap snaps with the traditional buckle as opposed to a mag-lock type setup and features a soft pad around the nylon strap where contact is made under the jaw. The fit with Giro Contour goggles (see review here) is perfect in part due to what Giro calls the Vertical Tuning feature to help prevent gaper gap. The brow vent on the helmet helped keep the goggle clear except when on the lift with a mask and higher humidity. Once moving again, the goggles clear quickly. The goggle clip is removable and a blank provided, though I prefer it on. It works great and I like it better than an elastic retaining strap. Just slide the goggle strap down and a small barb hooks retains the strap until the clip is pulled slightly away from the helmet for goggle removal. The ear pads are easily removable if it's warm or you're using the helmet as a backcountry/sidecountry helmet and want the extra air flow. Drop in speaker pockets are velcro accessible and the foam inside can be removed. It also has a removable ring to accommodate different sizes of speakers. The liner itself removes quickly for washing.

Conditions have ranged from down in the teens to "I should be on the beach" temperatures, and driving snow to bright sun over the last few months. Being a somewhat minimalist helmet, the Jackson has no adjustable vents. Even so, I found the helmet to be warm except on the coldest days when a hood over the top or a light buff underneath was sufficient for me to stay plenty warm. I do tend to run a little warmer than some folks, so YMMV. With open vents, a hood was also necessary on snowy days. In warmer weather, the vents performed quite well when moving, though long chair rides on 50° days tended to be a bit too warm. I would expect this from any helmet made of foam and plastic with minimal air movement and I neglected to remove the ear pads.

The Giro website is currently showing seven color options for the Jackson MIPS helmet and an MSRP of $180. I chose Matte Bright Orange because, well, it's easier to see when I pile up in a snowbank!

20210203_164932.jpg

The Giro Jackson MIPS helmet and Giro Contour goggles make a great team

20210427_100435.jpg

Removable ear pads with foam insulation

20210427_100544.jpg

With the ear pads removed

20210427_100552.jpg

With the ear pads in place

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used the Giro Jackson for two seasons now in all weather conditions and am very happy. I agree with everything @Andy Mink wrote.

I will add the helmet seamlessly integrates with Giro goggles, leaving no gap between the top of the goggles and helmet itself. I used the Giro Method goggles last season and switched to the Giro Axis this season as the lenses are easier to switch out.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink is spot on. The Jackson + Contour is my combo this season. Both are spectacular. The Jackson is warm when needed and seems to know when I’m heating up Enough to allow air in. The airflow is perfect — no goggle fogging or overheating for me.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a look with the ear pads removed. I stayed very comfortable as temps rose at Squaw.
20210428_095047.jpg

Unmarkedobstacles

Back to being the UnofficialAlpine.com guy
Industry Insider
This looks like a great helmet to consider. Andy's review is inspirational...but that color palette is soooo drab. Other than the orange, you can barely tell the difference between the muted colors. My friends say I must always have a light green helmet so they can pick me out of a crowd.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This looks like a great helmet to consider. Andy's review is inspirational...but that color palette is soooo drab. Other than the orange, you can barely tell the difference between the muted colors. My friends say I must always have a light green helmet so they can pick me out of a crowd.
I often lament to the bland palettes but am told by "those in the know" that for every bright color helmet they sell, they sell a lot more boring ones. I just ordered a Giro Montaro MIPS bike helmet in Matte Deep Orange. They also have it in Matte Citron/True Spruce. It was a tough decision!
giro-montaro-mips-dirt-helmet-matte-citron-true-spruce-left.jpg
giro-montaro-mips-dirt-helmet-matte-deep-orange-profile.jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online