• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Giro Named Official Helmet and Goggle of SkiTalk Test Team

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wish Giro did more bright/fun colors, including on the men's side. The helmets are great, and I understand that perhaps the market is tending to darker, less wild stuff, but I'd like more bright options. White and orange seem to be it for now.
My Stellar is quite warm, even with the vents open so I'm ordering another lighter weight and cooler helmet. Unfortunately they only have powder blue or white. I'm getting white, to stay away from something that draws heat.

Coincidently we have a google ad at the bottom of this draft with Giro
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 2.21.26 PM.png

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tricia what is the new helmet you are getting? I see Giro.com is understandably sold out of a lot of women's helmets and my local mt. stores only have smalls. It was a hard year to helmet shop just getting around to it now.... Giro has been my helmet of choice, fits me well, but could use an upgrade.

Also my one request would be for all helmet manufactures to list the weight of the helmet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia what is the new helmet you are getting? I see Giro.com is understandably sold out of a lot of women's helmets and my local mt. stores only have smalls. It was a hard year to helmet shop just getting around to it now.... Giro has been my helmet of choice, fits me well, but could use an upgrade.

Also my one request would be for all helmet manufactures to list the weight of the helmet.
The new helmet I ordered is the Envi Mips.
Its considered a backcountry helmet, which is extremely light weight. I had a chance to try one on at a local shop and really like the fit, but they only had it in black, which I really didn't want. @Stephen has the men's version of it.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question about how to change the lenses.
Just picked up the Lusi goggles for my wife and they come with an extra lens. But the extra lens has the 4 posts on the corners and what seems to be two magnets in the middle (top and bottom) but the lens that is currently installed doesn't attach that way and uses a groove type system where the goggle frame slips into a groove around the perimeter of the lens.

What gives? Or am I just missing something here?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just picked up the Lusi goggles for my wife and they come with an extra lens. But the extra lens has the 4 posts on the corners and what seems to be two magnets in the middle (top and bottom) but the lens that is currently installed doesn't attach that way and uses a groove type system where the goggle frame slips into a groove around the perimeter of the lens.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My Contour goggles have the 4 posts/magnet setup. The Lusi has the "slash seal" lens system. It sounds like the wrong lens was included in the box.:(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I do not have that particular goggle, but I will do some digging and see what I can find out.
Some of the lenses are definitely easier to change than others.
Does the replacement lens you have look like one of these?

Last edited:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. My Contour goggles have the 4 posts/magnet setup. The Lusi has the "slash seal" lens system. It sounds like the wrong lens was included in the box.:(
That’s what I’m thinking. The lenses aren’t the same.
But she did like her birthday gift regardless....

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do not have that particular goggle, but I will do some digging and see what I can find out.
Some of the lenses are definitely easier to change than others.
Does the replacement lens you have look like one of these?
I didn’t see what the back side of the lens looks like so there’s no telling.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got off the phone with Giro- what great customer service. They took my name and address and will ship out the correct lens when it's back in stock in the fall.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
How many different styles of lenses do they have?
3?
The slash seal, 4 post/2 magnets, and then 6? magnets (snapshot?)
Do the Asian fit goggles use the same lenses as the non Asian fit of the same model?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
what happened to PRET?
Pret's new marketing agency has opted to try something different, and Giro swooped in to take advantage of our readership.
The cool thing about Giro is that we have winter and summer which suits the lifestyle of our readership really well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I finally got my Giro kit and rode with some of it today.

Girl Source MIPS helmet in Matte Street Pink.

I've been riding with the Tessa Glove which I purchased over a year ago and really enjoy.

I just received the Xnetic gloves both in Road and Trail version.

The first thing that stands out with the Source helmet is that it has room for my ponytail which is something I've missed with my current helmet. This is a super comfortable helmet.

10AE1458-BC59-49A2-9624-C7989F6A8321.JPG

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got my new Giro Grid helmet and Contact google which I won at Giro's Rooted in the Wasatch benefit for Wasatch Adaptive Sports in August.

Fits great, very comfortable and very light! A great addition to my skinning setup.
Came with a 2nd darker lens and a case which holds two lenses and fits easily into my jacket's goggle pocket.
Love the color!
Thanks Giro!!!

New Giro 1.jpg

New Giro 2.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

shima

Dojo Owner, Sr Network Engineer, Skier
Skier
The new helmet I ordered is the Envi Mips.
Its considered a backcountry helmet, which is extremely light weight. I had a chance to try one on at a local shop and really like the fit, but they only had it in black, which I really didn't want. @Stephen has the men's version of it.

If I am measuring RIGHT at a 55cm circumference, I'm guessing going for the Medium is a better bet than the small?
1637035099988.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I am measuring RIGHT at a 55cm circumference, I'm guessing going for the Medium is a better bet than the small?
View attachment 148600
Yes.
I am wearing the Giro Envi with Eave goggle, but the new Contour RS is supposed to be really good.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Great news! I have the Giro Jackson helmet and Giro Method goggles. They are a great combo and form a seamless combination when worn together. The Method lenses take a minute to figure out how to change out but the VIVID technology is great.
Me too! Interesting side note: I wear a Large in a Giro but need an Extra Large in a Smith.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Me too! Interesting side note: I wear a Large in a Giro but need an Extra Large in a Smith.
I found the same thing with Giro vs Smith. Smith helmets fit a round head better than my XL oblong shaped head. However my latest helmet is Smith's cheapest MIPS at $130Cdn and I addressed the fit/shape problem by unzipping and then inserting a couple layers of neoprene in the "ear muffs" where the headphones normally go.