• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Giro Named Official Helmet and Goggle of SkiTalk Test Team

James

Out There
Instructor
I had a Giro 20 yrs ago. First helmet. Ravine maybe? It had, omg, movable vents, yet was warm. Then they started putting perma holes everywhere. It rains here.
Then I had OVO, built like a tank, then a few Smiths. Last one I had to replace after getting hit.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
tempImage7MBRd0.png
tempImageyiZAEL.png

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I skied in my new Grid helmet and Contour goggles today. very impressed with the Zeiss lens. I’m a long time Anon m2 user but i was impressed. I won’t wear or use gear I don’t like, I will be enjoying this combo!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied in my new Grid helmet and Contour goggles today. very impressed with the Zeiss lens. I’m a long time Anon m2 user but i was impressed. I won’t wear or use gear I don’t like, I will be enjoying this combo!
Pics?

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Those Contour goggles look pretty cool. The quality of a Zeiss lens and the technology of using magnets really piques my interest. May have to splurge and get some.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Those Contour goggles look pretty cool. The quality of a Zeiss lens and the technology of using magnets really piques my interest. May have to splurge and get some.

the system is a little different from the Anon's. it has 4 snap-in points (in addition to the magnets) the which are really easy, but adds security to the lens. one minor complaint about the Anon is that the lens can pop off when taking off the goggles if they twist, the Giro system fixes this. I mention Anon because they use Zeiss lens as well. I need to better compare but the Giro's have a bit wider view too

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Of the three low light lenses I own (Oakley Prizm, Smith Chromapop, and Giro Vivid) I absolutely like the Giro the best. I'll echo what Ron says that the magnets with the 4 pins that snap the lens into place makes it really secure and simple to use.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The vivid low light lens reminds me a lot of the older Anon with the pink/blue tint, that was called “blue lagoon” at the time. It’s fantastic Lens. we are expecting a series of storms so I will have the opportunity to test this week. I also ordered the Vivid full sun lens and will have that soon for testing.

James

Out There
Instructor
You know none of us easterners believe you westerners about low light lenses, right?
Prizm Rose = Dark, in the East.
Prizm Hi pink is pretty acceptable iirc.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I pefer at least a 50% VLT. I think the color tone is kind of eye specific. some prefer yellow, some pink/blue.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You know none of us easterners believe you westerners about low light lenses, right?
Prizm Rose = Dark, in the East.
Prizm Hi pink is pretty acceptable iirc.
Prizm rose is way too dark for me here in Utah. I wear a low light lens more days than not.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Prizm rose is way too dark for me here in Utah. I wear a low light lens more days than not.

I typically use a mixed sun lens with a 25-30% VLT. I was using a copper tint but the "Vivid Smoke" 28% VLT came with my Contours and its really nice. Its a gray tint that keeps all the colors true. I like this much better overall.

Here's the Giro Vivid Contour Lens guide.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used the Giro Jackson and Contour combo yesterday at Snowy Range. It was a mostly sunny day, so I used the darker tint. It was the ticket. I concur on the simplicity of the Contour lens system as well; switching is literally a snap. I swap the lenses a few times at home to test. The clarity of the vivid Zeiss lens is top-notch.

The venting of the Jackson helmet and Contour combo was noticeably better than my previous Pret/Oakley combo. Not once did I get any fogging while wearing my mandated muzzle.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
that Jackson is a really nice helmet ( I bought that for myself prior to Giro becoming a sponsor) . although it has fixed open vents, I skied with it on several near zero and below zero days with a beanie and I was comfortable. I think having the open vents is key to preventing moisture build up which can lead to fogging. I find I rarely close my vents.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
that Jackson is a really nice helmet ( I bought that for myself prior to Giro becoming a sponsor) . although it has fixed open vents, I skied with it on several near zero and below zero days with a beanie and I was comfortable. I think having the open vents is key to preventing moisture build up which can lead to fogging. I find I rarely close my vents.
Today will be day one with the Jackson. Ridiculously light. I don't usually close my vents either but wondering about snowy days. On the super cold daysI usually pull a thin buff up over my noggin.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
no issues with snow getting in. I skied with it on a few snowy days without issue.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I also have Giro Seam helmet. It was an impulse end of season on sale purchase. In the past my helmets have been XL but the Giro Seam in an L with the liner adjustment wheel at max fits great.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We recieved our Giro helmets yesterday and though it will be a few days before I ski in mine.
I have the Stella helmet and Eave Goggle.