• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Giuseppe Marinoni Article

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Did you ever see that documentary Fire in the Frame?
I did actually. They had it at the Toronto International Film Festival a few years back. It kinda got to me a bit..right in my wheelhouse from my bike days. He had a reputation as a prickly fellow back then. But great builder. In those days there weren't many (any?) others building frames in Canada like that.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Nice.

I had a steel Marinoni and loved it. Raced it a ton. It not only rode great, it looked great - not pretty or flashy, but very serious.

Here's collegiate nationals in Cheney, Washington in 1991:

colnat2.jpg

Eventually retired it be be my winter training bike. Did some "gravel" rides with it too.

Then I loaned it for a year to a teenager a friend was coaching. That rider wanted to buy it but I loved it too much so didn't sell. Which was a mistake since I didn't ride it much again. I should have just given it to her.

I eventually gave/loaned it the frame to friend who was low on cash and said if he didn't use it, he should make sure it goes to someone who does. He rode it for a while then passed it on, I like to think it's still out there.

Anyway, great bikes.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I think I was on 13-23 or possibly 13-21 in that photo - probably 7-speed Shimano cassette and derailleurs with Simplex retrofriction shifters (best non-index shifters EVER). Probably 50x38 up front. I only went to 12-tooth cogs when I got on 8-speed with integrated shifters.

Feeling nostalgic, so while I'm at it:
Ambrosio Montreal tubular rims - not sure what tires.
Ultegra-level hub/freehub.
Not sure what cranks.
Diacompe brake levers.
Suntour Superbe Pro brake calipers with the internal (hidden) springs - best single-pivot brakes EVER (though Shimano dual pivot was on the market and better).
Suntour Superbe Pro pedals - track model or road with the quills cut off - best traditional road pedals EVER. Ton of ground clearance and sealed bearings.
Nylon toe clips - almost unbreakable and light.
Amazing toe straps that were a leather/nylon composite and extra wide where they wrapped around the foot.
Cinelli bar and stem. Bike Ribbon tape.
Blackburn cages.
Probably an American Classic seatpost - nice but fragile.
Avocet computer. I think the seat was an Avocet but it might have been a Selle Italia Turbo. I'm pretty sure Avocet seats were made by Selle Italia anyway.

Also, you can just barely see the frame number tab on the top tube.

That bike was boss.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online