• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

Arnie

Booting up
Skier
Industry Insider
My Hestra Heli 3-fingers don't seem to be keeping my hands as warm after three seasons of patrolling (plus theres some small holes). Any recommendations for new gloves? My backup Black Diamond Dirt Bag gloves do alright but I prefer longer gauntlets to cover my wrists. Thanks!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always like to recommend Free the Powder (FTP) gloves....great dexterity...feel, and really keep my hands warm (even here on the EC)....I SnoSeal them before each season and they have been a great glove for me. (I have 3 different pairs...). They also provide great customer service during the process and if u had problems they will totally work with you as they really value their customers.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+3

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I really like my Free the Powder 3-fingers, but they don't keep my hands warm at -10 ~ -15 C.
This weekend I'll be trying out my new Hestra Army Leather Expedition mittens.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Black Diamond Guide 3-fingers and wore them in Banff recently from 0 to minus 8 (F) and didn't have issues. My buddy, who had the the Heli 3 fingers, mode more comments about cold hands than I did.

James

Out There
Instructor
These aren’t in the warmest category, but more Kinco type. Hestra makes a winter work glove that’s pretty cheap. Pretty sure I’ve seen a pack of two for $40.
E68A31FC-85A7-4824-A514-5DE045C1D3CC.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just ordered FTP liners for 3 Finger Hestra. I hope they work better. I forget about FTP.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve been a fan of the FTP gloves. I have both the spring version and the regular versions of the short cuff.
Mine get abused but have held up pretty good. I figured after 5 or 6 seasons it was time to get a new pair. They will give you a pro deal too if you are a patroller. Check their website for info.

FTP.jpg

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you like BD, their three-finger Guide gloves are great in cold weather.

TS
Arnie

Arnie

Booting up
Skier
Industry Insider
Thanks for the input! I just ordered some Free the Powder Pro RX-3 three finger gloves & their leather treatment using their pro-deal. Hopefully they will get here before my next shift!

James

Out There
Instructor
Their leather treatment smells really good. Mice think so too. I had a mouse chew through a boot bag, then through a helmet bag inside, then through the zip lock where the FTP treatment was. Left a little pile of seeds. Very detrmined creatures.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For warmer weather above 0f I use a pair of Hestra army leather pro gloves, they have a wool insulation that despite feeling thin works very well! For everything from about 0f to -20f I have a pair of Swany X-Change gloves that just fit my hand perfectly and keep them warm. Below that, the ski area is closed so I don't really care!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Hestra Heli 3-fingers don't seem to be keeping my hands as warm after three seasons of patrolling (plus theres some small holes). Any recommendations for new gloves? My backup Black Diamond Dirt Bag gloves do alright but I prefer longer gauntlets to cover my wrists. Thanks!
Aside from wear on the outer, the liners will pack in. Luckily Hestra Heli’s and Free the Powder, as well as some OR and BD gloves, have removable liners.
So, if outer is still in decent shape, just get some new liners and you should be nice and toasty again.
You can also mix and match liners for different conditions: in my Heli Mittens I have the standard liner for midlayer weather, and the Extreme liner, which is much warmer, for colder temps.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not a patroller, but do know gloves, here is my 2c:

And remember, a big part of cold hands (later in the day) is moisture build up in the glove. Especially for a patroller, going from working hard to standing or cruising around and back.
Couple things to combat this:
  1. Unless it’s truly wet out, don’t use GoreTex or other waterproof gloves, you need moisture to move out easily.
  2. Use a glove with a removable insual liner
  3. Use a breathable liner, not one with a tight woven fabric shell
  4. Pull the liners when you go inside. Especially since patrollers will likely want to use (trigger finger)gloves instead of mittens, they won’t dry quick enough otherwise. Consider swapping for a second pair of liners
  5. If it is truly frigid or very wet, use a vapor barrier glove system

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I would add another vote for Free the Powder. Cost and performance equation is pretty hard to beat. They have worked hard to get the balance of warm, durability, and breath ability right.